1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who shoots new AA's today

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Who shoots new AA

Any base wad problems yet? Reloading them? Opinions please.

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

Yes I shot new AA's. I have had no problems with them but I don't reload.

Shawn

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Never had a problem..

4. white rattler

white rattler Member

I shoot them by the pallet load. Never ant problems. Trevor Dawe

5. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

I shoot them because they are cheaper than Rem STS. I dont like thw way AA's reload so i sell the empties.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If Winchester would go back to the ONE PIECE hull again like the ones before the HS Hull their sales would climb.

Reloading the AA HS hulls on a MEC reloader is much more safer than when done on a PW Loader, because of the way the primer is installed.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I load them concurrently with sts shells on a Hornady 366 with no problems.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'm shooting new AA 28s this year for all my registered targets, and have 3.5 flats of AA 20s that I'm going to use as well. All the 20ga probably would have been AA if it weren't for the 3 flats of STS and 2 flats of Estate I have from last fall. If I need more 20s, they'll be AA. I'd really prefer STS in the 20 (the recoil is a little less, and I reload the hulls), but not @ $20/case more (b/c of the lack of rebate) so I'll just shoot them and sell the hulls, no biggie.

9. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

I like them, and sell the empties. Just bought some from Cabelas for $68 a flat using my Cabela money and with the $20 it comes to $48 per flat.

10. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I shoot the new AA's from time to time, save the empties and reload them. I have reloaded several thousand of the new AA's on my MEC 9000G with no problems.

(I think I miss about as many targets with the new AA reloads as I do with the old AA reloads--LOL).

allen

11. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I shoot new AA HS shells and then reload them. I have not had one single problem with either the Red AA or the Silver/Gray AA hulls. I do inspect them prior to reloading and if I see any tiny cut(s) or blow out holes exist near the edge of the crimp shoulder, if so, I then throw the hull away. That tends to be on average on the 3rd to 5th reloading. If a hull makes it to 5 reloads, then I just toss it at the range.

I keep my hulls in clay bird boxes (each carton holds about 500 hulls give or take) and label the side of the box with the number of times reloaded. Also label my 25 round shell boxes so I know what box to dump them back into.

I have about 10,000 hulls or so in my rotating hull inventory which is about 20 clay bird cases full.

At present, the Winchester AA hulls perform just as well for me as do the Remington Nitros or Green STS hulls. I also reload Remington Gun Clubs as well. I let none of my hulls be reloaded beyond 5 times. They are usually pretty ratty by then. I reload on a MEC 9000H hydraulic and use CLAYS and WIN 209 primers. They all reload perfectly on this machine.

We did some crono testing with once reloaded, twice reloaded, thrice reloaded and 4th time reloaded AA red hulls at my club. The load was CLAYS 17.5 grains, 1oz #8 Lawence Magnum shot, WAA12 1 ounce wads and WIN209 primers.

The chrono test revealed that FPS of the load was essentially the same between all reloads. One would have expected the FPS to be less as the hulls became used but I guess the 1 oz load and the 1150 FPS charge (as shown on the Ohler chrono) were essentially the same between reloads. BTW we reloaded the test batch of 15 shells in our club house so the test was conducted on the same day.

Art

12. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The old style AA hulls are like "GOLD" (IF you can find e'm)! The old AAs were the best. Now the STS hulls are King of the reloading table!!!

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I shoot new AA's and reload them all the time. No issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.