1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who shoots high ribs, why?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot410ga, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If you shoot a high rib, why. How high is your rib? I'm thinking about having my mid-rib (5/8's Ljutic) replaced with a 1 1/4". Maybe, to help me from lifting my head. Any advice?

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I do........Gun heat and those little nasty heat waves. Why not drop the pad on your stock??? Or have you???

GS

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

You can see the target better and quicker when it comes out! Its called Soft Focus!

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

A high rib helps me keep my head in a more erect and natural position. I think that moving your head down into the stock makes it a little easier to lift your head when the target comes out.

Pat Ireland

5. hairy

hairy TS Member

Mr Ireland, if a low rib and a high rib gun have identical drop at comb and drop at heel, would the high rib gun still allow a more heads-up position?

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I know a very big man with a very long neck. His gun is a very High Rib Top Single with a very serious "Drop at the Heel" of the stock and the gun fits him very well. My TMX has a high rib and I recently got a pad adjuster so that I can drop the recoil pad down for more heel drop to keep my head more upright.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

hairy- High ribs require high combs.

Pat Ireland

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Good thoughts, How high are these ribs?

9. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Pretty high!

10. harleyhog

harleyhog TS Member

I have been shooting a high rib for about 5 years now and my ability to get on the target quicker has greatly improved as well as my score

11. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I do ....... because after you figure out "canting" they are great.

12. Harold

Harold TS Member

"I do ....... because after you figure out "canting" they are great." What does a high rib have to do with canting?

13. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

If you shoot a "no rib" gun and move to an "unsingle"....canting CAN be an issue.....think about it.For arguement sake ...say the rib is 5" tall....you site down the rib ....but the barrel is tweaked to the left or right (I'm left handed).Where does the shot shoot?

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Mx-8B

After trying to shoot "upright" with high ribs for a year I went back to the low rib "fighter stance" with much better feel for the shot as you describe, ready for anything and fast.
    Shannon

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have them from 1/4 of an inch to over 1 inch and I HATE to shot flat rib guns. I can do it if I hold right on the trap house lid but them I am playing catch up. High ribs are the only wat to fly for me. To each his own. Jeff

16. Harold

Harold TS Member

"If you shoot a "no rib" gun and move to an "unsingle"....canting CAN be an issue.....think about it.For arguement sake ...say the rib is 5" tall....you site down the rib ....but the barrel is tweaked to the left or right (I'm left handed).Where does the shot shoot?"

It shoots the same place as a low rib gun set up for the same POI.

17. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Harold, this goes back to the same old arguement from past THREADS on "canting".
    I happen to believe in Ken Rucker's theory. As, does my stockfitter, and many oldtimers at my club.

18. Harold

Harold TS Member

A lot of old timers don't know what the hell they are talking about. A stock fitter can do a fine job of stock fitting without knowing how canting affects the POI. Apparently a lot of them do just that. I wonder how many of them have the time to test the effects of canting by their customers, and how they separate out those effects from any other effects.

19. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

If you add another 5/8 of an inch of rib, your gun will shoot extremely low. You will have to raise your comb 5/8 also to keep the same point of impact. Usually most people have to raise their point of impact as you will see the bird sooner and shoot alittle quicker. So you may only need to raise the comb 1/2 inch. You will never know unless you try it. Once you get your rib on stand at post 3 and shoot straightaways how you want to shoot them. Add or subtract comb washers or adjust rib till you are ink balling targets. It will take about 300 shells to know if its for you or not. Happy shooting. Don

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

The affect of canting can clearly be demonstrated by looking at the POI at 13 yards. Simply shoot one POI with the rib and barrel straight up and down. Next rotate the gun clockwise. This will move the rig to the right and/or move the barrel to the left. Shoot another POI and you will see that the POI has moved to the left.

I could see an advantage to canting if one were good enough to cant clockwise on left hand birds and counter clockwise on right hand birds, but I do not think anyone is able to do that with consistency.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.