1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Says You Can't Win Money Shooting Trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ShotStop, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShotStop

ShotStop Dedicatedto keeping gun clubs open and shooting.

We had another perfect weather day at Redlands on Saturday and 14 different shooters won a total of $1,072.50. Terry Bilbey and Phil Ross, both California Hall of Famers, had some good battles in the Second Event and Combined score, First Lewis shootoffs but Charlie McPhee beat Terry in the 1st Event, First Lewis Shootoff. The way Charlie shoots when there is money on the line means he could make a living doing this if there was a shoot every day.

A special hat tip to Jacque Bilbey who ran 25 from the 27 to get into the Combined score, 3rd Lewis Shootoff and won it to earn a check for $103. That was the same amount hubby Terry won in the Combined 1st Lewis. That really represents the how fair this format is to shooters of all skill levels. Terry, had a combined score of 98 to qualify for the 1st Lewis and Jacque had a combined score of 89 to qualify for 3rd Lewis but they both won the same amount of money!

If you club would like to get some targets in the air and give your shooters a chance to actually win some nice checks, PM us and we will be glad to share with you what we have learned so far. It is a perfect club shoot format because you don’t have to have established averages or yardage.

We had great weather, good competition, great fun and good fellowship. So, how about these checks?

[​IMG]

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

WHOOPEE!!! wouldn't cover the shell bill!

3. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Shotstop:

Thank you ever so much for puting on these "Lewis shoot-offs"

One of my good buddies did not win any money but he was in three shoot-offs! And he had a ball.

Another good buddy got in two shoot-offs and made champion in one and was the runner up in the other.

I got lucky in the first event, missed the second event by 1 target, got in the third event shoot-off but lost by one target. I had a very good day.

Your program has put a new measure of fun and exciment into trap shooting.

A big thanks to you, Gary, Terry and all the staff at Redlands Shooting Park.

I wish you every success.

Charlie

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

post the rules would you?

5. oz

oz Active Member

lewis shot off. are you kidding? lewis is supposed to eliminate shoot offs.

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: lewis is supposed to eliminate shoot offs

I though under Lewis if a tie the money was split. But, if the rules were posted that way.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The top winner couldn't fill the tank on my F-250! lol

8. ShotStop

Rules? What Rules? LOL

The basic idea of these shoots is to put shooters in shootoffs where there is enough money at stake to get the butterflies fluttering and the pucker puckering. We use the Lewis system to qualify the guys for the shootoff.

The purse contribution per event is $10.00 per shooter. This means with as few as 10 shooters per class the 5 guys in each shootoff are shooting for $100.00.

To qualify for a shootoff we shoot a 50 target event like 25 targets at 16 yards and 25 at 21. Let's say there are 36 shooters. We list those 36 scores top to bottom. We then divide the scores into 3 Lewis classes and take the top 5 scores in each class for that class' shootoff. We use longest backrun to break ties among the qualifying scores. We then have the shootoff for that event. The great part about this is that the guys who shot the 13th and 25th best scores get to shoot for the same amount of money as the guys who shot 50s, 49s and 48s.

This last Saturday we shot two events; 16/21 & 16/27 and had shootoffs for each. We then combined the two scores, ran the Lewis division on those scores and then had a shootoff based upon the combined. So, we had 3 shootoffs. The buyin on the combined was $10.00 but we added money in so that the purse contribution was actually $12.50 per shooter.

It is a great format for a club that has a lot of league and recreational shooters because no one needs an established average. Shooters are shooting for checks that pay them more money than their entry for the day and the club gets targets in the air.

9. ShotStop

You may want to check your math, shannon391 unless you have a 60 gallon tank. How much did the top winner make?

10. ShotStop

Here is our current California State Handicap Champion, Brett Nunnally, who actually won his check for shooting, not for the "Best Dressed" award!

[​IMG]

11. In plain view

In plain view Member

Jim: Your going to have to bear with me on this as Saturday was my first venture with your Lewis shoot at Redlands and I have questions. Here goes:
    #1: You have 36 shooters compete. You list the scores top to bottom and then divide into 3 classes. I'm assuming the shooter who shoots 50 straight will be in class #1. How do you determine who is in class 2 and then class 3? Also if a shooter shoots a 50, wouldnt the remainings scores be even numbers like 48 and then 46 for the 2 remaining classes? Be patient Jim, I'm old you know. Bob English

12. ShotStop

LOL Bob, you shoot pretty darn good for "old". Your 47 from the 16&27 ain't too bad.

OK, here is how we do it. With 36 shooters we will have 3 Lewis classes of 12 each.

The top 5 scores get in the 1st Lewis class shootoff. Let's say they are 50;50;49;49;48. We then count down from the top, 12 scores. So, let's say the 13th score is a 46 and there are 3 46s. We take all three 46s. The next two scores are 45s so those 5 shooters go into the 2nd Lewis Shootoff.

We then count down 24 scores from the top and the 25th score is a 42. There are two 42s so they get in. There is only one 41, so he gets in but, there are 3 40s. The backruns(hit targets counting from the last target back to the last missed target), are 8, 4, and 2. We take the two 40s with the 8 & 4 backruns and the 40 with the 2 backrun is left out. So, the 3rd Lewis is the two 42s, the 41 and the two 40s with the longest backruns.

As you can see, you don't want to miss at the end as your backrun is the tie breaker.

13. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Backstop:

Yes it does not pay to miss near the end. I believe you showed me the scores and about one third of the shooters missed with three shots to go.

Pressure!

Charlie

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

So, what DID the top shooter win???

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The first sentence in the opening post is a bit deceiving. It reads:

"We had another perfect weather day at Redlands on Saturday and 14 different shooters won a total of $1,072.50."

What it should say, is 14 different shooters "SPLIT" $1072.50.

Just Say'n.......

16. ShotStop

BigM The shooter that won the most money was Terry Bilbey who won 3 checks, a runner-up check for $27.50 and two champions, one for $82.50 and one for $103.12 for a total of $213.12.

grntitan

No, they didn't "split" the money, they had to win it in a shootoff. There were 9 shootoffs with 5 shooters each so 45 shootoff participants. There were 9 champions and 9 runner-ups or 18 checks to be won. 14 shooters won those 18 checks.

Just Say'n.....

17. ShotStop

Yep Charlie, it is amazing that about 1/3 of the scores show a miss in the last 3 targets. Dealing with that type of extra pressure is part of the fun.

(Charlie is the grin on the right)

[​IMG]

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ok, however you wish to twist it. The total of $1072.50 was not won by any one shooter.

19. ShotStop

Twist what? What's not clear about:

"14 different shooters won a total of $1,072.50"

That doesn't that sound like:

"14 different shooters each won a total of $1,072.50"

The "each" makes the difference.

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

You have to count shells, entry fee's, fuel to get to the shoot.

But, I'm glad you all had fun, that's what it's all about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how much money can be won trap shooting

how much money can you make trap shooting

how to make money shooting trap

make money shooting trap

winnign money in shooting