1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Remembers When?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mixer, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Along Time Ago.

Eric

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Also the ads in the back of sportsmens magazines such as outdoor life.

Italian stelletos (spelling?) and Mauser rifles for about 30. something delivered to your door. No FFL required then.

Regards....Gerald

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Lee Harvey purchased his rifle out of the back of a magazine for something like $19 (scope included) that he used on that fateful day back in Nov 63.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Way before my time on the $0.69/box shotgun shells. Seems like 20 gauge ammo cost about $2/box when I started buying my own and that was a lot of money in my mind. Those old ads are pretty neat though.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I don't think I was alive when a box of shells cost $0.76, but I do miss Monkey Wards!

-Gary

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Box of 22's were 50 cents.

7. fishguts

fishguts Member

Around 1964 or 1965 we went to a sporting goods store in Hammond Indiana, bought a couple of surplus rifles, got on the bus with them and went home.

Wayne

8. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Who Remembers When???

When my brother enlisted in the Navy in 1962 I "inherited" his single shot 22. Took it to school in 1962 and carved and refinished the stock as my wood shop project. On the way in and out, I remember simply sticking it under my desk during math, english and typing class and carrying it openly from class to class 'till the day was over and I carried it through town 2 1/2 miles home. Way different time then.

I still have the gun which has caused the demise of more than one ground squirrel and a couple "daytime" skunks here in Oregon.

Mike Mann

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I also remember watching "Skyking" on TV as a kid, black and white. I also remember that none of we kids, even through high school, questioned the relationship between Skyking and his niece, Penny. With age, I began to think she really was his secretary and mistress. I also think James Arness and Amanda Blake had something going on from watching "Gunsmoke" all those years......but senility brings a "sick" mind..

10. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I learned to shoot with WWII surplus traploads my dad bought at surplus auctions at (now) Fairchild AFB. 20 box wooden cases and no printing on the boxes, just the description of the load. He bought about 20 cases @ $15 each. May have been 3 dram ounce and a quarter - I don't remember.

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

I remember going to the hardware store and buying .22s----2 for a penny for shorts and 1 cent each for LR. I never had quarter so I could buy a whole box.

12. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I remember .22 box @.50 and carcano carbines for $11.99 in NYC at that no age limit on guns or ammo. but $11.99 was way too expensive!

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

.22's were always free. Usually a Winchester or Remington pro at the gun club who had a brick or two in their trunk they would give an aspiring young trapshooter.

I paid $3.79 for a box of 50 shorts for my grandson recently - at a "wholesale" outlet.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

........*sniff*............

HM

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

In the late '40s my buddy and i would save up until we each had a quarter.
    Then we would grab 2 of his dad's pistols and go to the store to buy a box of .22LRs...then walk down to the Police Station.

We would ask the Desk Sgt if we could use the downstairs range. First time he made us read and memorize the Range Rules. After that he would say "Be sure to clean up and turn the lights off"

After we shot, always stopped and said "Thank you!" and he would say "Any time, kids!"

16. old tex

old tex TS Member

The Director of Civilian Marksmanship sold Colt 1911s for $22, 1903 Springfields for less than $20 and M1 carbines for less than $20.

I bought 1 of each!!

Still have the Carbine.

1950s

Good old days!

17. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

When I was a kid you could buy a sleeve of Daisy BBs for a dime at the local hardware store.

Anybody check the price of a sleeve lately?? I still shoot my BB gun once a year, and that is either Christmas Eve or Christmas day while watching Ralphie in the Christmas Story. I had sticker shock when I went to purchase some this year for my Christmas battle against the beer cans in the backyard. I don't think a dime will even buy a single BB anymore, much less a sleeve.

Bisi

18. Bluedotman

Bluedotman Active Member

19. maka

maka Member

In the late 1960's I purchased a new Ithaca Model 37 Deluxe from JC Pennies for$189.00.

20. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

One thing a lot of people forget about these really cheap prices is.. say for example, my dad will tell me when gas used to be .20 a gallon.. he didnt have the .20.. I can remember peters shells at TG&Y for 2.30 a box, I never had the 2.30... haha..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.