1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who remembers this outfit?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kiv-c, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

My dad was cleaning out the last of his reloading stuff (in other words he was dumping it on me!) and one of the items was a box of reloads in the box shown. We never actually used any of those "Inter-Nation" shells - in fact I don't know if they ever even existed - but they gave out the boxes by the thousands for free and they worked great for boxing up our reloads.

I grew up just a few miles from the main Herter's store in Waseca, MN, and spent many a rainy saturday shopping for reloading, fishing and hunting equipment. Cheap entertainment at its best!

Some of their stuff was good and some was out and out trash. I used their red "chalice" wads for years for AA trap loads, and many guys would pick them up after a days shooting and reload them again and again and again...

Most of you old timers will get a giggle or two out of reading the BS on the box sides. Remember, everything Geroge Herter sold was "model perfect, custom presentation grade" and usually "approved by the Belgian army."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Herter's never let a superlative go to waste.

Everything they sold from shotguns to outboard motors, was the "best" or "finest" known to man.

I have one of their 1966 catalogs, I take it down an read through it when ever I need a good laugh.

Michael

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

mag10 hit the nail right on the head, and actually almost everything I ever bought from Herters was very good. Purchased several semi-inlet stocks and all were good quality in fact some exceeded my expectations, was sorry to see them go under. They did have a "way with words".

4. nmbunker

nmbunker TS Member

When I was a teenager, I carried a M12 16GA. Reloaded almost all paper shells with Herters wads. (I think I may even still have half a box of over power wads in my reloading shed!)
    I recall that they also had a shell with no crimp .... used a pop off cap. I think they were only for 12ga so never sent off for them.

Their catalog was much more desirable than the Sears catalog and you could spend HOURS going thru it.

5. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

I ordered from them more than once.
    I still have a Herter's crow call

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The original J. Peterman.

7. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

I have a copy of "Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices" by George Leonard Herter and Berthe E. Herter. Herter's, Waseca, Minnesota
    A great read full of fun stuff!

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Wish that I still had one of the catalogs!

9. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

They were just the greatest to help a kid build dreams about the outdoors. I bought a skinning knife from them around 1966 for $1.96. It was the best knife I ever had, bar none, and I used it for years until a domestic snafu caused most of my neat stuff to end up in the dumpster.

In 1974 I moved to Minnesota and had occasion to visit Waseca 4-5 times per year on business and the Herter's store, but under different management(maybe Gander Mountain had the name then?), was still open. They had quite a bit of the old inventory still in it. I also bought a ton of their wads and used them for a long time. My buddy had 12 of their mallard decoys and he moved back to New England in 1972 and he was still using them back there 30 years later.

Used to live and die for the Herter's Catalogue, the Old Stoeger's Shooter's Bible and the original Gun Digest, when it was really a good gun book.

Getting old. It's sure not the same today.

10. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

AAAhhhhh, the Herter's Catalogue. Remember it well. I would go by a friend's house many evenings and we would spend hours checking it out. Does anyone remember a A5 looking Japan built shotgun they used to offer. I've often wondered if it was built in the same facility as the last ones for Browning were built. And who was that guy that was always on safari, Jacques Herter of something like that?

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

You brought back old memories, I would spend hours drooling over stuff in their catalog

Bought some stuff from them it was always pretty good stuff

Wish they were still around

Another one was Simmons Gun in Olathe Kansas, are they still there? My sister used to live there and when ever we would go everybody went shopping I would just tell them to let me out there and spend the afternoon drooling over the guns. I remember seeing pallet loads of Remington 870's and other guns so many guns so little money

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I have some of Herter's "Wasp-Waist-Sonic" bullets (from the '60s)in .22 cal. They are little different.

13. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Does anyone remember George Herters book, "How to live with a bitch" I can remember as a young man being totally shocked at the title.

JMAC

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Yes, they made the shells. I have some left, and a Herter Trap gun to shoot them in! (I'm still loading Herter wads and 164 powder)

I remember the copy of the A5. It was built by Fuji gun works.(Same as the O/U). Not the same factory as Browning or Winchester. Which were built in separate factories also.

Ajax

15. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

If anyone has any of the Herter's cookbooks, I'd be interested in buying them.

16. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

They had a store near Olympia, WA - now close to a Cabela's location. I once sold them a ton of Red Dot, COD. Two weeks later a check arrived in the mail as a duplicate payment for the powder. I sent the check back but wonder if the bookkeeper was the reason they went out of business.

17. mag410

mag410 Active Member

<html>

<head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">
    <meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
    <title>New Page 1</title>
    </head>

<body>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

</body>

</html>

18. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Another of their superlatives was "the finest procurable." I still have a compact (for the time) pair of binoculars that they said was developed for the space program.

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I liked the Monkey Wards catalog too.

20. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I still have one of their catalogs someplace. I bough a lot of stuff from them around 50 years ago including a really heavy duty progressive rifle reloader which I don't have any more. Their catalogs were entertaining and carried about the same number of items as Sears. I still have one of their powder scales and I think a duck call. I also once had one of their 45 rpm records on calling ducks.

A friend bought one of their fiberglass fishing boats that weren't sealed real well and you would get real butt sore with slivers if you forgot a cushion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.