1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who owns Trap Machines at Sparta?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Newport 90T, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newport 90T

Newport 90T TS Member

Does the ATA own the Trap Machines at the Sparta facility?

If so, do they collect a fee from all of the events that are upcoming as shown in the Spring/Summer 2007 schedule as shown in the magazine I received today?

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

ATA owns the machines and from what has been said before gets no compensation at all for them and even basicly gets charged a fee for them when they hold an ATA event at Sparta.

I might be incorrect and I am sure somebody will correct me if I am but the IDNR is making money off of the ATA's machines and the ATA aint seeing nuthin out of it.

Now ask yourself why did the IDNR back out of the purchasing of skeet machines for the fields and you will probably come up with the same answer as I did ... they got the ATA to pay for the trap machines so they will also be able to get somebody else to pay for the skeet machines as well so why spend the taxpayers money when they dont have to.

3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The agreement is the IDNR gets to use the machines for other events, BUT is responsible for the maint. and upkeep on all of them. The only money the IDNR receives from the ATA is the $3.00 per hundred lease agreement that was agreed to by the ATA and the IDNR.

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

As a question of curiosity, does the ATA get to write down the cost of the machines as a business expense over a set number of years?

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

To be more correct . . . the $3 fee does not come from the ATA. It is charged to the shooter when they register for each event. No shooters, no fees.

As for the IDNR "making money" off the ATA's machines . . . it's fairly obvious that Lumper has never been to the WSRC and didn't really pay any attention to the details regarding the project. If anyone thinks the state of Illinois built this facility to make money, I believe they are sadly mistaken. It was an economic development project, plain and simple. There's no way the state can probably pay the electric bill for the day just getting $3 per shooter.

Scott

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Scott ... care to take a bet as to how long Sparta will remain a plain and simple economic development project in the state of Illinois? I predict that by fiscal year 2010 the place will be closed due to lack of funding which means the place aint making money so we aint gonna keep it open ... bye bye so long its gone and they will find a way to sell off the machines to help pay the bills as well.

7. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Well, that has to be one of the dumbest statements I have heard in a while. They can not sell off the machines because they are not theirs. The machines belong to the ATA and its members. John

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I can't imagine the ATA/EC didn't cover their butts when they agreed to the terms of the WSC using the machines that the ATA owns ... The initial reason to purchase the machines while still in Vandalia was as a way to cut operational cost by reduceing (sp) labor costs with the new Pat traps and voice calls ... I have never seen the agreement but I'm sure one exists someplace, or hope the hell one does ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Lumper -

I have no idea how long the place will be open. I think we are both arguing the same thing - the place operates at a negative cashflow. I believe that was the expectation from the beginning, and obviously if the state decides to pull the funding then it won't stay open. That's true for any government operated venue that operates with a negative cashflow. The state is likely depending on the additional tax revenue to offset the negative cashflow.

On a similar note, there was a posting about the new shooting complex in Las Vegas just a couple of days ago. They've broken ground and are doing a lot of the infrastructure work. Lots of the Sparta-bashers have been talking about what a great facility Vegas is going to be and how it won't have the same problems as Sparta. However, if you read the press release carefully near the bottom it said something along the lines of "the planned work will be conducted based on the availability of funding". Doesn't sound like they've got it all worked out just yet. I'm not bashing Vegas, I go out there every fall and shoot the Fall Handicap at LVGC, it's just that they are building a government facility out there and I can't see why they wouldn't have the same problems.

Let me know when you figure out a way to sell my stuff, I'd be interested to know how that works.

Scott

10. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

Your trap $$'s at work!

38-01615

11. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Due to the infrequent usage the traps get, I don't see the traps wearing out in my life time. Given proper maintenance, they should last a long time.

ed.

12. DoRaMa

DoRaMa Member

4170 N. Gun Powder Circle, Hastings NE 68901
    Hey Folks, I think I saw the back side of this trap for about 2 weeks from the Downrange Red & White tent!!!!!

Kevin @ 402-463-3415

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.