1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Owns A Ford F-150 With EcoBoost

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Who here owns a Ford F-150 with EcoBoost? What do you think? I am truck shopping and wanting to go with a NON-Bailout company, but I hear many negatives on the EcoBoost. The local Ford dealer has several used F-150's for sale, and all of them are the EcoBoost. Any input?

*Edited* I will also add - my last 2 Ford purchases in the past 10 years has not been well. I really want to go with a non-bailout company.

2. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Here you go Matt. Harv

3. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Matt, go test drive one and you will love it. The major draw back is using the correct oil when changing oil so the turbos get proper lube. Very economical and plenty of power. The ride quality is great as well. Goodluck,Tim

4. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I'm going with the 5L V8, 5 HP less,and a thousand bucks cheaper...

5. 548

548 Guest

Two Dogs, what will that thousand in savings at the purchase cost you over the life of the vehicle in fuel. Pay now, save later. Save now, pay later.

6. kenf

kenf Active Member

My Dad has owned one for about a year and it does well on fuel around town and on the highway. Power is good too, similar to my old 5.4 F-150. I'll echo the oil statement, in that with turbo engines, you got to keep clean, fresh oil in them, and let the engine run a little bit before shutting them down to keep the oil from coking in the turbo bearings.

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I will admit that I was in the thread that Harv pulled up. I said, "1/2 ton truck = car with bed - El Camino". I thought for sure that I was going to a 3/4 ton truck this time around, but not at the prices I am seeing.

8. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Mine is a 2011 and it is rather nice. the truck has over 45,000. I have only had it one year and bought it as new.

We got into a debate about the mileage on the shown blog so the truck was rechecked.

60 miles town 45 - 65, 30 miles city @ 35 to 45, 265 miles turnpike & interstate @ no more than 68 mph got 21.06

200 miles @ 65 to 85 & 194 miles city and local roads got 19.1 - being careful with gas push.

275 miles on turnpike at 72 to 75 plus 146 miles all over without being careful of drive for mileage = 18.4

406 miles on city roads only without speed or acceleration watch - 17.4

Another 280 mile run with about 15 miles town and full care to watch the speed limit to keep it at no more than 68 = 22.5.

The truck has good speed and power but I do not pull trailers. Mine is high ratio rear gear and 6 speed auto. It runs good. The toe bar is about 8000 lbs (I think).

This is an interesting truck. Twin turbos scare me when it gets over the 100k warranty.

Another guy at our shop has the same year in V8 (302 i think). He gets 10% or more mileage reduction than mine gets but I don't know if that makes enough difference to pay the difference in price for the ECO.

The next rear end up the line is a 3.51 and that thing gets about 15% less mileage. 4 wheel drives trucks are no lower than 3.51 and you can often get them with something in the 370's.

9. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

I had a 67 Shelby GT 500 and loved it.

I have a 2012 F-150 Ecoboost and love it.

10. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Matt i know where 6 different ecoboost trucks are within my group of friends and not one of them is disappointed. All speak highly of them and for all the chatter about the turbos i have not heard of one single turbo issue to date. Moisture is not your friend with turbos but the Ecoboost pulls a chit load better than the 5.0. A lot more torque and only 5 more hp. I am looking for one now myself. I want a used 2012 with really low miles and loaded up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.