1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who makes the longest extended Mobil Chokes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by clang, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clang

clang TS Member

Hi,

I've got a Beretta 682 with a 28" barrel and I would like to see if I can purchase extended chokes tubes that extend 2" (or more). Pure Gold makes mobil chokes that extend 1 3/4", but they only come ported (I would prefer non-ported).

Does another manufacturer make non-ported extended Mobil chokes that are as long or longer than the True Golds?

Thanks,

Chris

2. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Good question, I know that the pure gold's are like 1 3/4", but does anyone know of any others?

3. Battue

Battue Member

I know Briley custom-made a number of extended Mobile chokes for a German gentleman that was attending the World Skeet Shoot last year. If I remember correctly they extended about 4" from the barrel. I am not sure what he paid for them, but he was happy when he received them. Give them a call and see if they can help you.

Pat

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Just curious, what do you hope to accomplish with longer chokes? If you want to get the same effect as having longer barrels, you won't get that with longer chokes unless you put a rib extension on the top barrel's choke, without that you've done nothing to lengthen the sighting plane of your gun. The only thing you'll end up doing is adding a lot of weight to the muzzle end of your gun.

5. dvice

dvice TS Member

Mike Stitt at Oakland Custom Arms will build a choke that is 1" long for every .010 of constriction plus a 5/8 parallel at the end. A .035 choke is about 4.125 total length. You can get him at 248-674-8261. I believe he is in Waterford MI.
    Dave Vice

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is longer better. HMB

7. dvice

dvice TS Member

Mike Stitt was part of an article in I believe Shotgun Sports in about 1993. they cut every taper they could in tubes and found the .010 per inch to be the best performing choke. I have had him build tubes and bore a fixed choke gun. They are as advertised.
    thanks
    dave vice

8. clang

clang TS Member

"Just curious, what do you hope to accomplish with longer chokes? If you want to get the same effect as having longer barrels, you won't get that with longer chokes unless you put a rib extension on the top barrel's choke, without that you've done nothing to lengthen the sighting plane of your gun. The only thing you'll end up doing is adding a lot of weight to the muzzle end of your gun."

I'm not worried about the sight plane - I don't think I could tell the difference between looking down 28" and 30" barrels anyway. What I am hoping to accomplish is to get some sense of what 30" barrels would feel like on my gun (they do seem to be popular nowadays). I want to see if they make my gun a little less whippy and a little more stable and if that is something I find desirable. Longer choke tubes are a lot more cost effective way to do it than purchasing an extra set of 30" barrels.

And if longer choke tubes don't offer any benefit to the pattern, why did Beretta discontinue Mobil chokes and replace them with Optimas and Optima Plus? If there is patterning benefit, it can't hurt.

9. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Comp-n-choke Gold is a fairly long choke.

JON

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If you want to make your gun a little more stable, I make barrel weights that would allow you to accomplish just that. Check out my website at sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

clang,

The longer tubes won't simulate the added length of the barrels. The reason is that the tubes will be made from different material than the barrels, and the fact that no rib is present on the tubes. This will give you a false of the extended barrels.

You should be able to put a set of 30" barrels on your 680 series gun to feel the difference in the swing. If someone that you shoot with has a 680,682,686,687 with a set of 30" try them out on your receiver and wood. I wouldn't fire it until a compitent gunsmith had a look see to make sure the head spacing and timming is ok. Beretta's barrels interchange fairly well and usually don't need much in the way of fitting unless the barrels are new.

The reason why Beretta went to the optima choke tubes is becuase of bore diameter of the newer barrels. Beretta enlarged the bore a few thousands and redesigned the choke tubes so they wouldn't interchange. Thus preventing someone from installing the wrong choke tube.

All Good,

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
benifit of long choke tube
longest choke tube

longest extended choke tubes

longest extended van
longest shotgun choke tubes
longest shotgun chokes
the longest choke tube