1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who makes the best upland game vest for hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by poacherjoe, Sep 15, 2016.

1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I am sick and tired of all this chinese junk at Cabelas etc. I am looking for something with shoulder straps and a mesh open back.It's warm where I hunt. I see some promising vests made by Filson and McAlister, Does anyone have reviews on these products. I would like it to be Made In USA.

2. mg1polo

mg1polo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Joe,
    You are SO right on about Cabelas!
    Today is not like the Cabelas of old.
    Complete garbage in my opinion.
    The last thing I bought there were some very expensive
    GORETEX boots. Every time I wore them, my feet got soaking wet.
    They took them back and replaced them 3 times.
    Finally just took a refund! Chinese Goretex, what a joke! "LOL"
    Try Northland Dog Supply, www.flushandpoint.com
    Very high quality and extremely functional upland vests.
    Check out the Q5 vest, that's what I have.
    MG

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    poacherjoe thanked this.
  3. MTRSG

MTRSG Member

poacherjoe thanked this.
  4. ditchparrot

ditchparrot Well-Known Member

WingWorks is the top of the heap, no question.

If you want something damn good but not quite as expensive, Quilomene fits that bill.

poacherjoe thanked this.
  5. ky.shooter

ky.shooter Active Member

Didn't Bass Pro buy Cabala's?

6. HymieP

HymieP Member

Filson products made in the wonderful USA (Seattle, Washington)

slayer thanked this.
  7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

+1 for the Filson stuff. Expensive but very durable.

poacherjoe thanked this.
  8. nitro27man

nitro27man Well-Known Member

Filson.

poacherjoe thanked this.
  9. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Well-Known Member

I think you have to try it on and look at the Quality. Me hat Filson vest Columbia and strap vest Cabela's. All items are great you have to judge everything one at a time and look it over.

10. poacherjoe

Thanks for the help guy's I really appreciate it!!! I am looking into the Filson for it's affordability. Seems everyone is out of stock on the mesh back.

11. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

+1 for Quilomene if you are caring for your dog an walking a long ways. Bill

12. goou7

goou7 Member

I have had good luck with columbia vests.

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

If you get more than 5 years out of a Filson vest you're doing better than I ever did. The waxed cotton gets holes in it rather fast and your shells will end up on the ground sooner than later. But depends on how much you use it too. The strap vest also has a habit of pushing stuff out of the back pouch when going uphill. Not a fan. Do own a fair amount Filson but will never get another vest from them.

McAlister went out of business a few years ago which is a shame. Really like their upland pants they are just the right weight IMO. And now can't replace my McAlister hat if I never need to

[​IMG]

I love my Wing Works vests, and don't think anyone could wear one out. I have 2 one with blaze and another without for training in the summer. There is a pouch in the back center for a large water bottle. When it is warm I fill it 3/4 full with water then freeze it, keeps me cool through the day. The side water bottle pouches hold the large poweraide bottles perfectly although I also have sports water bottles with caps on them. One for the dog and one for me, if I'm not watering the dog out of the hat I just take off the lid and flip it over and use the lid as a water bowl with no waste. I mark that one dog on it so I don't drink out of it LOL. They also make a leather holster for the Garmin Alpha that is pretty decent.

Only downside to the WW vest that I can think of is they are stiff and the game pouch does stick up in the back. Crawling under barbed wire fences can be a challenge on the prairie.

14. octoberclaire

octoberclaire Active Member

Quilomenes are nice but they sometimes don't meet all the blaze orange regulations in some states. I got tired of ordering just to send them back. My wife custom sewed me one to all of my specifications and whims. She said she would never do it again . Perhaps you can find someone to do the same for you. A ccustom alteration , sewing shop.

Chance McCall thanked this.
  15. poacherjoe

It's to late now I have already placed an order for the Filson strap vest. I have worn out plenty of jackets and vests but the stuff that Cabelas sells is pretty much all made in China and it falls apart rather quickly. . Quilomene and Wing Works look good but the order is in. I got some extra waxing agent to keep the vest doctored up. It will only be used for Dove and Quail so it should hold up for a few years. I suppose if one were to go to a custom upholstery shop you could have the Military Weapons grade vest made that would last forever but at least I am buying something Made in the USA.

16. Hunt!ng

Hunt!ng Active Member

The only downside IMO of the standard Waxed cotton Filson strap vest that they've sold for years is the game pouch is too small to load/unload a large bird like ringneck pheasant by the person wearing the vest. I can attest to Filson as standing behind their products though. I wore out a pair of their waxed cotton chaps after only 1 five day pheasant hunt in Iowa. The leg cuff areas riddled by cattails. There slogan was/is "Might as well have the best". Well I sent the chaps to Filson and a letter reminding them of their slogan and stated that they should supply their chaps when purchased with a ample amount of cloth fabric for patching material. They returned my wore out chaps, a pair of new replacement chaps and about 3 yds. of waxed cotton fabric. They have since modified these chaps with the cuffs being hemmed with bridle style leather.

17. mg1polo

mg1polo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Not yet, the word on the street for over a year now, is that Goldman Sachs / Bass Pro is trying to buy Cabelas.
    MG

18. poacherjoe

Cabela's has great service but 95% of the product's sold are made in China, Bass Pro has terrible service and 99.9% of their product is made in China.

mg1polo thanked this.
  19. ky.shooter

ky.shooter Active Member

Thanks mg1polo for your reply.

20. poacherjoe

I got the vest in the mail today and I like it so far. Now we will see how long the shell pockets hold out. These always seem to be the first to wear out. The material is a little lighter than I expected but the best part is that it is Made IN The USA from" Imported Materials " !! I guess there's a little bit of China in everything. lol

Search tags for this page
best hunting vest
best pheasant vest

best upland vest

best upland vest forums
finest upland shooting vest
remington bird strap hunting vest
shooting strap hunting vest
upland bird vest review