1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

???Who Makes The Best Trap???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dirtyharry357Mag, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirtyharry357Mag

Dirtyharry357Mag Member

I"m looking for some new traps for the club.. Looking for some input.. Who makes the best Traps ?? Bomat,, Pat,, ?? And why do you think so ??

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Pat-Trap, definitely NOT Beomat!

John C. Saubak

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Pat.

Quality, consistency, durability, and good resale.

4. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

We have PATs at Tri-County Coonhunters and like them well. They have had little to no issues whatsoever. I think the GMV superstars have a good reuptation as well. However, a lot of trapshooters like the thought of shooting on PAT traps. My mantra is to give the customer what they want and you only make money when you are throwing targets. Therefore, PAT wins in my book.

John

5. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Old Cowboy, I second the motion. We recently purchased two new Beomat skeet traps over my vehement objections. For an additional $400 we could have had two new no problem PAT's. Instead we have a string of ongoing problems, and a line of pissed off shooters.

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The 4 Pats we use at our club operate flawlessly and they're heavily used. If you happen to load them with a row of broken targets (drop them in), the broken pieces can create havoc, but otherwise they are troublefree and consistent as heck. When you shoot doubles over them, there's no guesswork as to where the targets will appear.

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

Pats are great traps and they are still in business. GMV Superstars are great traps BUT the parent company is defunct as far as I know so parts and such are getting harder to find. Beomats work but can be quirky at times.

--- Chip King ---

8. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

We (Franklin County Sportsman's Club) bought our first Pat Trap in May of 2004 and it hasn't missed a beat. Just ordered our 2nd last Monday.

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

No brainer.....PAT TRAP. It's the trap all others are compared to.

Why settle for second best?

10. skeezix

skeezix Member

notquite27 - what problems are you having with the Beomat skeet machines? We have 10 of them and do not do much more than replace brushes annually. We do an annual spring tune up on them - new brushes, sand the arms, clean the tables, clean the turret, grease them as req'd. They are pretty trouble free after that. One of them broke a mainspring a couple years back - relatively easy to replace. We did have one motor failure that required a new motor. I don't recall the age of that machine, but 5+ years I think.

11. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I vote for the PAT trap. My club has one and no problems of any significance. Basicly trouble free.

Allen

12. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Not taking away from PAT traps - they are solid and simple. Great qualities, but they do have some 'quirks' - the bands wear over time - limit switches go out of adjustment - hydraulic pumps need to be warmed up in cold weather. There are a few areas where mechanical failures will drive you nuts (the pinning of drive gear comes to mind).

GMV's are wildly over designed - a good thing I think. The learning curve for maintenance is longer, but once you know the machines they are very simple to service and repair. Few real issues with them. Target brushes, as supplied, wear out, but there are aftermarket ones that last nearly forever. Electrical/electronic parts can be confusing (remember that learning curve I mentioned?), They are much happier if they are kept dry (we have found that patio table covers - about $20 from Lowes or Home Depot make great covers if your trap houses leak in the rain).

I would look for parts and service companies in your area and use that as part of your decision process as well.

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

skeezix,

If you're an expert on Beomat traps maybe you can tell me what's the problem with the Beomat that's at one of the clubs I shoot at regularily (or at least USED to). It alternates between throwing a hard left followed by a hard right followed by a hard left followed by a hard right...........maybe twice in the course of 100 targets it'll throw a couple of 'em somewhere down the middle and then go right back to the left, right, left, right thing. I don't know off hand what the model number is but it was purchased new maybe 5 or 6 years ago and is designed for American Trap including both singles and doubles.

My first suspicion would be that maybe the belt is loose but on inspection that doesn't seem to be the case. Now I'm thinking it must be something electrical??

There's a good bunch of guys at this club and I really enjoy shooting with them but I'm about to quit going there if this problem doesn't get resolved.

John C. Saubak

14. skeezix

skeezix Member

No expert here - and I don't know know anything about their trap machines. Our club runs GMV's on the trap side (18 of them) and Beomats on the Skeet side. I don't get directly involved with the GMV's other than what comes up in conversation and planning work days etc. The guys that manage the GMV trap machines don't seem to have any issues other than normal wear and tear The Beomat skeet machines seem to be pretty bulletproof- when they are taken care of.

We had one Beomat that seemed to have issues with getting chips in the turret and breaking targets. We pulled it, put in a spare machine, and sent it to Ron Tree for an overhaul, and it's been fine since.

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

OK, thanks anyway. The belt I referred to is part of and the problem is with the oscillation system so I guess a skeet machine wouldn't have this issue?

.........and to the original question, I haven't dealt with GMV's maintenence wise but I've shot over them and FWIW I wouldn't nessesarily rule out a GMV if I was looking for a new trap machine.

John C. Saubak

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

John, I think you may find that inside the sheet metal box where the wires feed in there is a progammable interrupter that you can move "sliding keys" vertically into different positions. I think you're talking a 400 target belt driven machine. I would look there for a starter. I'm no expert on them but have a little experince with them. They are entirely different from the SuperStars people talk about on here, an earlier vintage.Good luck, Bob

17. traploader

traploader Member

For a small club WINCHESTER-WESTERN. Affordable and can be converted to automatic for a lot less than Pat, Beomat or Promatic. No longer manufactured but it's built to last and parts are available.

18. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Our club HAD seven trap machine of four diferent types. We had Beomats that we had gone through before one of our PITA shoots and had two of them broke down during the shoot. Not good,I am not sure what the other machines are. we recently bought three brand new PAT traps and have sold four of our old machines. We are going to propose to buy two more new PAT traps next month and eventually I would like to see the club buy a sixth for a back-up machine. I expect there to be some reservations by others about buying a sixth machine for a back up when we only have five traps. But my recommendation will be for a sixth machine. It seems that most clubs are going to PAT traps. I like the idea of not needing a whole lot a spar parts for repeairs when (Not if) they are needed. We tried a brand new Promatic that was on loan as a demo. It broke down within two weeks after wwe started using it.JMHO
    Jim B.

19. Blaser F3

Blaser F3 TS Member

Pat-Trap

20. Blaser F3

Blaser F3 TS Member

Pat-Trap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beomat oscillating skeet machine

who makes best traps