1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who makes the best lenses for bright sunlight?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trinketshooter, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

Who makes the best lense for bright sunlight? Neil Swenson

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Decot had a Polaroid lense that works well for me, but only in very bright sunlight ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Post4 optics "Shooter passion purple"

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Give Steve a shot at your questions.

5. vdt

vdt Active Member

target brown,but dark

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

trinketshooter,

I am a Decot Hy-Wyd Dealer, so I am a little partial. I really like the Bronze #2 for bright sunlight against an open background. Decot also makes a Bronze #3 which is darker, and you can get it polarized. I have a set of the Decot Target Sun Polarized on a demo set of glasses that I set out when vending at shoots. They work well with intense sunlight also. Two things to remember when picking lenses....

(1) Everyone's eyes are different. What me or Lil' Johnny likes, may not work for you. Best bet is to find a Dealer and look thru various shades while looking at targets. If you can't find a dealer at local shoots or had rather mail-order, find a Dealer (like me) that will let you exchange the lenses if you are not satisfied.

(2) When buying lenses, you want to go with the lightest lens shade that is comfortable for you. This will allow the pupil to constrict, providing better depth of field. Going with a lighter lens also helps you if the sun dips in behind the clouds. With most of the ultra-dark shades, if the sky ever goes to overcast....you are in trouble.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Matt Woodson

Phone: 270.804.5454

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I have Post 4 Passion Purple & Randolph CMT--The CMT is good as long as the sun stays out. Purple seemed to wash out the orange.

Has anyone tried the "Optimizer" that Dr. Rively is selling. What kind of conditions are they good for?

Phil Berkowitz

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind everyone's eyes see different colors in a different way, but with that said for my eyes the Ranger CMT lens is by far the best in bright sunny days. It makes those orange targets look like pancakes.

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Take a test drive... every club has the guys who wear the Decots, Rangers, Post 4s etc... borrow what you can as much as you can to figure out what works for your eyes...

Part of the equation is what works for the target color you throw and the background color you shoot against. Add into that your eyes sensitivity to light and color...

You'll quickly figure out what works for you, and that is all that matters...

regards all,

Jay

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

For very bright sunlight I use medium vermillion on polarized lenses.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Bright sunny days with no clouds the Ranger CMTs are the best, only on cloudless days and bright sun, no comparasion.

If a cloud comes over while wearing them and shooting you are screwed.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

There is no right answer to this question. All of the top brands can make lenses you can use on the brightest days. What looks right to you is the only thing that matters.

13. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

As JL stated, there is no right answer. Your eyes and perception are unique to you. I was fortunate enough to find a dealer in my area who let me step outside the shop with different lenses till I found what works best for me. You can go to Morganoptical.com, they offer a color reference chart that is quite informative.

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.