1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

who makes the best gun safe

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by colt 1911, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colt 1911

colt 1911 TS Member

0   0   0

Im looking for a good well built gun safe any suggestions.
  2. quartering

quartering Active Member

0   0   0

amsec for me. but brown makes a nice, $74,500 safe!
  3. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

0   0   0

I like this one...A safe that doesnt need a forklift!

http://zanottiarmor.com/index.html
  4. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

0   0   0

Best requires deep pockets. Fort Knox is a top safe and very expensive. Most of the commmon safes are not really very well made. I have Liberty Washington, looks nice but the locking mechanism is not really so great but probably adequate. Most people have no idea what the locking mechanism looks like inside the door. Most companies don't want people to see how poorly made the locking mechanism really is. The better Browning safes have a well made locking mechanism and are affordable. They advertise what the inside of the door looks like. But the average thief is a teenage kid not equipped to break open a safe anyway.
  5. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

0   0   0

A strong second for Zanotti.
  6. quartering

quartering Active Member

0   0   0

johnny brings up a good point: a liberty safe made today probably isn't of the same construction as a liberty safe made 20 years ago. all of the big box stores want to sell a big safe for cheap. the safe makers are obliging them. but how can you cut costs on a safe and make it safer?
  7. dgh

dgh Member

0   0   0

3 for Zanotti, I have the large one for many years, its "upstairs" because you can...

DGH
  8. quartering

quartering Active Member

0   0   0

just for fun: what did you pay for your safe? what is the value of it's contents? is that ratio acceptable to you?
  9. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

0   0   0

Don't buy any cheap safe without at least one relocker. Some have two or three.
  10. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

0   0   0

How much do the zanottis cost?? Rick Gibbs
  11. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Member

0   0   0

Take a look at Pendleton, very easy to access all of your guns.

http://www.pendletonsafes.com/
  12. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

0   0   0

+1 for Brown Safe! Brown makes outstanding quality safes. Brown Safe is owned by Fred Brown, who is an active local shooter (San Diego area), a Vietnam veteran, and an NRA member.
  13. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

0   0   0

Look at the Browning gold series
  14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

0   0   0

National Security is one of the best. Maybe the best! Kind of expensive but still made like they were years ago. It is a big step up from a Liberty or Canon or Browning. One of the best buys I ever made and have had it for 15 years. I have never seen a safe anywhere that I like better
  15. quartering

quartering Active Member

0   0   0

look at delivery and placement costs. if you find a good deal on a safe, getting it to where you want it may not be such a deal. the best deal i ever got on a safe was from a locksmith who had some used bank teller safes to sell. talk about solid. and a buddy of mine found a one ton safe, 6x6x3 at an estate sale for next to nothing. he just had to rent a bobcat to move it. also look at used government document safes - they're pretty damn secure. and heavy
  16. WIKI2ECHO

WIKI2ECHO TS Member

0   0   0

I really anguished over what safe to buy for almost 8 months of looking at formums and reading reviews on gunsafes. There are many "good" safes like top of line Liberty(president), Amsec, Brown... etc. It all depend on what you want to protect in value and what its worth for you to spend. If you have a few rifles and shotguns of moderate vale then maybe you can "get away with and RSC rated safe. If you have several guns like Krieghoff or P-guns You may want the top of the line models that go up to $3k or $4k. Then if you have some important documents and through in Precious metals worth thousands of dollars you HAVE to look at sfes with a TL-15 or TL-30 security rating with 3 Hr fire rating also. Also, buy bigger than you ever thought you would need. In my case I bought an AMSEC Tl-15 rate 3hr fire rating and YES I need a forklift to get it into my garage> I also spent unsuccessfully trying to drill a hole in it for over 6 hours and gave up. It weighs 3400 pounds and for what I keep in it, it is worth every penny. My son bought a Steelwater, and for the money and what he keeps in it they are excellent value. Just my thoughts on the subject FWIW..Bill
  17. Pocatello

Pocatello TS Member

0   0   0

Heritage Safe Company, Grace, ID
  18. dgh

dgh Member

0   0   0

"How much do the zanottis cost?? Rick Gibbs"

Rick I am not sure, check the web site, I bought mine along time ago

http://www.zanottiarmor.com/

DGh
  19. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

0   0   0

Many residential storage containers can be entered through the side with a simple fire axe. The door may provide the necessary protection but not the sides. If you want protection beyond the smash and grab thief, it will cost you. Fort Knox, Heritage, Amsec, and some others are in this category. I chose Heritage based upon amount of security, fire rating, size, features, and cost. Once inside moving a safe on plastic pvc pipe roller was easy.

Watch this for a little education.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8

Dave
  20. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

0   0   0

I looked at the Zanotti website. Their safes have 1/8" side walls. My safe has 3/16" sidewalls, the minimum I would consider. Watch the youtube video Dave posted and you will see why that matters. If you have a safe with sheet metal walls put it in a confined area where one can't swing an axe or use pry bars.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.