1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

who makes the best cases for air flight travel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by loanman, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loanman

loanman Active Member

I would not want to fly with an americase. what and who makes the most indestructable case to fly with?

2. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Just out of curiousity why would you not want to fly with an americase? I was under the impression they were amung the best.

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

www.pelican-cases.com

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

Rhino... Have been flying with them since 1992. They are nearly industrictable

TB

5. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Browning made a travel vault. Butt-ugly, bulky, heavy and tougher than "wood-pecker lips". If you can't find one reasonable,($50-$75) contact Doug Hubbard, he makes a damn good and tough case and reasonably priced. I think he has a thread going today, too........merlyn

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Loanman, you already named the best!!! The Rest are just copies. Break-em all. Jeff

7. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Cabela's sells a nice double case, which I have used cross country. It worked well, showed no damage and for $169. was the economical choice. Make sure you get one that will take the TSA locks.

JON

8. dflo

dflo Member

What ever you get make sure it does NOT have TSA locks. Make sure it has solid locking points and use a good pad lock or 2. I have a custom build case from a local company that build rack cases. They installed some mean padlock loops and I use 2 abloy locks keyed differently. You do not need to give anyone the keys. I have also used 1700 series Pelican cases. I use the 1700 for luggage as well as gun travel.

9. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Tuffpak holds your gun and a bunch of other stuff.

10. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

DFLO,

Perhaps it is per each airline, but, when I took my case, with guns, I had to give the keys and the case to the airline agent. She took it to TSA who inspected and sent the keys back to me at the desk. When I checked the TSA web site it said something about locks that TSA could open. What is your take on it?

JON

11. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Rhino, no question at all. Super people, great service and a tough as &#$% case. I have my own shielded lock that I use now. In MSP they about put me in cuffs while the TSA guy checked the case. I handed him the keys as was told where to stand and not to move from that spot. He checked it with me observing and then locked the case and handed me the keys. In Gainesville, FL the TSA glanced over at the case when the ticket agent opened the case and said looks good to me. So I locked it up and sent it on the way. From what I hear, each experience is different.

Hal Hitchcock

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Pelican!...and FYI, the Browning Travel Vault was made by Pelican. The 35" long model will hold two guns broken down, and the new ones have wheels on one end for easy towing through airports...yes, they are but ugly but they are very tough...

13. JH

JH Well-Known Member

I fly a lot.....there are only two worth mentioning:

1. Heavy aluminum: The Mother of all cases is KALISPELL. The best.

2. Plastic: The Mother of all plastic cases. PELICAN. All others are copies.

14. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Warwick is ATA approved. Todd

15. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Again, why not an Americase?

16. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

I've traveled around the world with americase, kk air, SKB, Perazzi, and Storm. STORM has by far been the best. Make sure you get the more dense foam insert and cut it to fit whatever you have with a filet knife. If you buy an Americase, go ahead and bust off the feet because they won't last long. The side panels also cave in. One of mine suffered three separate holes on it's final voyage.

Jeff Holguin

17. Damifino

Damifino Member

We bought a "Flight Proof" two gun case from Gamieleal (sp?) @ the Grand this year. It is built like a tank. Very reasonablly priced too.
    <br>
    Tom Boyer

18. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Again, why not an Americase? perazziuser answered that question. They are a bit expensive for being so fragile.

19. dhull

dhull TS Member

TuffPak. Very tough. Have traveled extensively and guns came through safely on every occasion. Only nicks and small gouges to case. Dave

20. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Damifino

What does your flight proof weigh. I asked at Cabela's and they quoted me a shipping weight of 48 lbs. Add two guns and it seemed to me I'd be paying a lot of excess baggage fees. I lack faith in Cabela's employees so I was wondering what it actually weighs.

Thanks

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.