1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who makes money as a pro trapshooter?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grammie, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grammie

grammie TS Member

Okay:

A "pro",,lets say,,one that also gives lessons at the shoot he/she is attending!!! They make appx 3,000 per day giving lessons,,"if the slate is full"!!!

Here is an example from one event at Missouri,,,,won by a short yardage shooter with no singles,,,no doubles,,800 handicap targets shot,,shooting from the 20 or 21 yd line WITH NO PENALTY YARDAGE!!!

This person hit 6 50's,,,for about 11,000 dollars,,the calcutta was worth 28,000!!! And then the Lewis for a couple grand,,plus the other options and walked out with between 48,000 and 52,000!!!

This person received one punch,,shot with a "companion",,and the companion called at least 5 of the birds!!!

This person had proffesional instruction from one of the PREMIER names in trap shooting circles,,,,,,this person is now back to the same yardage as when they started,,20 or 21!!!! After going back to their home club,,,,the person forgot how to shoot,,,and has never received or kept any yardage gained!!!!

Until the ATA fixes the mess they themselves created,,,,,then a fool and his money will soon be parted..........

AKA Grammie.........

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Not to be argumentative, but how does one hit 6 50's? Did he shoot two 100 straights in handicap? And how did he shoot without penalty with only 800 targets total? I live in Missouri and could have sworn that you have to have at least a thousand targets. John

3. grammie

grammie TS Member

bcnu:

My fault,,,,I wrote it wrong!!

6 50's were hit during the week,,,with scores of 95!!!

The rest is as close to fact as I can get without seeing the pay-off sheet that was posted on this site.....

Do you remember the following year,,,when the top 5 places all went to short yardage shooters from 1 certain state?????? I take that back,,,,it was 4 short yardage shooters and 1 mid-yardage shooter...

How did this person shoot without penalty yardage???? I don't know!!!! How does it happen all the time?????

But I know this,,,,,this person was sold in the calcutta for more than 600 dollars!!!! And this person "bought themself"......

AKA Grammie..........

4. grammie

grammie TS Member

Oh Yeah,,,I forgot to mention-----------this person who had no singles or doubles shot AA scores in both disiplines during the week..........and played every option available,,,you know,,,,what every new shooter does.....

AKA Grammie.........

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

A typical option in this part of the country is called a perpetual purse, where he/she gets half of the money in the purse (ties divide) for breaking all fifty. This can run upwards of several hundred dollars for one fifty, and there are six of them in a 100-target event: Traps 1&2, 1&3, 1&4, 2&3, 2&4, 3&4.

6. RLC323

RLC323 Member

To answer the original question. I do not believe anyone makes a living at the trapshooting part anymore. The payouts are just not big enough to offset the expenses. Trap is not like golf where sponsors put up large chunks of prize money. I would guess the "big dogs" use the clinic income to pay for the trip to larger shoots and make some spending money. It does not seem that any of the clinic folks are getting rich.

The sandbagger side of the sport has always been there. The scheme usually is based on one big score, like grammie mentioned at Mo. The shooter in a typical sanbagging situation has slightly above average shooting ability, and learns the skills of manipulating and managing scores. Then hits a big shoot from short yardage and makes a potfull of money. Problem for the sandbagger is that everyone remembers, and the Delegates (usually) keep track of these folks, making it a one time score. If the system works as it is intended they are rarely heard from again, because it takes hard work to make it from the 27, and hard work is not what the sandbagger type is interested in.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Define "PRO" shooter, please ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. dedpair

dedpair Active Member

Most of your top shooters offset their winnings by teaching. I.E. Kay,Leo, Harlan,Ricky, and Phil to name a few. But they also probably turn a bit of profit at the shoots. Leo took over $13k from his 100 in Ohio + what ever the calcutta had in it. And if you did some research on the others mentioned and throw in a handful more, I'm sure you'd see probably 20-30 top names turn a profit. While theres not as much money being played, there are still some huge payoffs at the major shoots. The "pro" argument has been around for years, if the ATA was truly Amateur there would be no money at all. And we can see the affect that has had on Int'l trap and skeet.

Jeff G

P.S. did Gene7777777 get banned yet? Saw posting #9 or so for the overpriced XT combo.

9. guncase

guncase TS Member

Grammie,,, your full of it!! put a name on it and a time frame.. You always have this crap in your mind, never any documentation!! Go Back to shootin" Mexicans as the sneek across. We all support that!!

What are you going to do about the guy in California that signed up and won the State championship??? Hang him??? or the guy who classified him,, not that it would matter what class he shot in.
    In the files I can search, I cannot find that you EVER shot in Missouri. How would you know the facts???

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The days of true "professional" trapshooting are gone. As posted above, Most of the TOP shooters make money on clinics and Videos. Yes they win often, but traveling and expenses eat up much of that.Also there are many "one time Charlies" who hit it big never to be heard from again. The days of big sponsorship is over. Heck they used to give away a CAR for the GAH winner, but that hasn't happened for years. The dreams of big profit in Trapshooting are just that --DREAMS!

11. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

grammie:

I remember the event you are referring to, unlike you, I was there. I think the shooter in question was from Arizona. Maybe you should talk to your delegate!!!!! and try and stop all the cheaters from your state.

MR

12. smartass

smartass TS Member

Why don't some of the top shooters publish their IRS returns so we can really see where the rubber meets the road. While their at it, maybe they can publish their SSAN along with bank account numbers, credit card numbers, etc. That way we can separate the wheat from the chaff.

13. grammie

grammie TS Member

guncase:

You really can't tell the differance can you???? Between sandbagging and a class act????

The guy from California showed what every honest shooter should possess,,,integrity and a fine competitive spirt!!!! Not too mention excellant hand&eye coordination!!!! There was NO "fallbacks" at that shoot,,,in other words,,,had he lost the championship shoot-off he would not have received 1st place in B class....

Missouri was a differant story....

AKA Grammie..........

14. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Paul:

I don't subscribe to the theory that there is a sandbagger lurking behind every bush and under every rock. And... I have seen legitimate D class/20 yarders have spectacularly good days.

With that said, perhaps it would have jogged your memory if Grammie had included the following clues in his first post:

It was a 20 yard "she" from Kentucky named Jeri at the Fall Handicap. Time flies but I'm thinking it was about three years ago.

sissy

15. Tony Guchi

Tony Guchi TS Member

Someone,,, expline to me ,,,how does "the calcutta " work?

16. $andbagger

$andbagger TS Member

The only chance at big money in trapshooting is a one time deal. You get really good (ie. shoot lots of serious practice somewhere where people don't know you, or won't report your known ability), but keep your average and yardage down on purpose (ie. you shoot registered practice at a reputable club and drop targets on purpose without being obvious about it). Then go to a shoot like the Missouri handicap, bet all you can on yourself, and win. But then you have a reputation, so the gig's up after that, at least at big shoots.

My best fun way of making money at trap, although it isn't usually much, is to travel around the US (which I do anyway) and sandbag at smaller clubs. I stop at a club and break about 70 of my first 100, while bragging about how great I am. Usually I can get someone to make some sort of challenge to my "greatness" at which point I challenge them back to shoot another 100 at $10 bucks a miss, or thereabouts. They think, OK if I miss 15, but he misses 25, I'll make $100 bucks. Then I run that 100 targets. I usually make $100-200 or so. However I have had as many as 4 guys take me up on it at the same time. I recently made a pass through a particular Texas club, where I made about $800 on a single round because there were 4 that took me on, and none of them broke over 80. Best I'd done in a while. Plus, it's a lot more "fun" than shooting for fun. Especially as you see them start to turn red as they realize they've been had.

Once in Pennsylvania I ran into another sandbagger, and we both ran the 2nd 100. We had a great laugh, and it didn't cost us a dime except the targets and shells.

17. Tony Guchi

Tony Guchi TS Member

$andbagger,,, Is this call " the calcutta?"

18. $andbagger

$andbagger TS Member

Calcutta is where people bid on you (or buy you) to win. If you win they split the $ winnings with you. The big name shooters usually bring the most money, but if you are unknown it is best to buy yourself if the rules allow. Then, if you win, you keep the whole pot.

19. Tony Guchi

Tony Guchi TS Member

20. guncase

guncase TS Member

HEY GRAMMIE,,, where is the name ,,, and the particular shoot???? You just keep spoutin' but no FACTS!! Just your "facts" from your memory. I don't think anyone EVER won $52000.00 at the Missouri shoot in any one event!! Prove it to me, will ya?????? inquiring minds need to know! Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.