1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who makes a good 22mag

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by white rattler, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white rattler

white rattler Member

Looking to buy a good new 22mag. I can't find any 22 ammo but there seems to be no shortage of crow killing 22mag ammo. So who makes a good gun. Thanks Trevor Dawe.

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

For the dollar spent on what you get, a Savage hands down with the Acutrigger. The Ruger 77's are nice but pricy. My CZ 22's are great guns with super tight chambers and barrels, I don't know about the 22mag but I would guess they are great also. Marlin was good years back until bought out by Remington...you would not want to see some of that stuff leaving the factory today.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Really not certain how you are going to beat a Marlin bolt action for value although the ones mentioned above are certainly good also

The Marlin is as accurate as any gun made and the chekering (machine cut but still very nice ) adds a touch of class

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Marlins for lowest cost, Savage and CZ next step up.

I like my CZ after I did the trigger job. Accutrigger Savages probably best out of the box.

HM

5. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

CZ 512 semi auto

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Buy the new CZ 455 and then you can get a 22, and 17 barrel. They will take all three. My other choice is a Henry

7. white rattler

white rattler Member

No one make one in a semi. Trevor Dawe

8. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

Rugers are great. Magnum research makes a semi.

9. zimmie

zimmie Active Member

Buy a savage best bang for your buck, hands down. Zimmie

10. Surveyin'

Surveyin' Member

I had a Ruger 77/22 that I sold a few years ago. Yep, you guessed it, I wish I had never sold it!

11. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

Ruger 77/22 is a very quality Rifle. I have a Ruger 77/22 in .17 HMR & at 100 yds 5 shots in under a inch.Ruger 77/17 17 HMR Range & Field
    Well went to range yesterday wind was very light. My Ruger 77/17 VMBBZ 17 HMR with 3x9 40mm Burris FF E1 scope shot 50 yds 5 shot groups .98 .371 .767 average .707 at 50 yds at 100 yds .937 .976 .985 all groups shot with Hornady 17gr V-MAX. Some things I saw in my groups was some groups were horrizonal and another vertical just like a line holes and on some that one flyer that would open up groups don't know if it was me or rifle or to much Coffee. I also notice bolt lift was harder on some shots than others all most like a hot load. I am going to try other loads & brands or lots just to see what happens Field report on Ruger 77/17 VMBBZ 17 HMR great rifle worked flawless & the clips are great. Thoughts on .17 HMR out to 100yds on Praire Dogs worked great' at 150yds kills just worked fine dogs fell over and kicked a few times' beyond 150yds to 200 you could hit them and knock them over and they would kick a few times run & into there holes to die. So for me 150yds is realy the limit for the 17 HMR but was my first trip with the 17 HMR. The Burris FF E1 3x9 40mm worked great and reticle worked perfect nice size not to course & balistic plex was great useing the wind marks for hold off. only thing I would change on scope would be power ring outside diameter should be reduced my rifle Ruger 77/17 VMBBZ bolt can just kiss on max bolt lift and rifle came with high rings I would also change caps on windage & elevation knobs make them more slim. I think Burris is trying to make them look like target turrets. Overall impressions I was going to buy Remington 547 17 HMR but the deal on gunbroker.com fell through & I ended up with the Ruger 77/17 17 HMR no regrets a great rifle would buy again Burris scope is great buy at $ 200.00 Good Hunting

12. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

If you're serious about crows, as opposed to chucks, I'd recommend a .17HMR.

Not all at one time, but over a period of years I invested upwards of $6,000 in .22 mag rifles, trying to own a serious 1" gun. I didn't want the occasional 1", 5-shot group at 100yds, but a rifle I trusted enough to bet a $20 bill I could shoot a 1" group. I never owned one. And they were glass bedded, with great triggers and wore Leupold scopes of 12X and up. The last one was a Cooper Anschutz, and it wouldn't do it either. That's when I concluded that the .22mag cartridge itself just isn't capable of 1" groups day in and day out. I still own a Ruger 10/22 magnum with custom barrel and trigger that MIGHT throw a 1" group, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Then along came the .17HMR, which I believe is the most significant innovation in metallic cartridges since the .222 Remington 60 years ago. I've put less than 200 rounds through my Cooper, but on three occasions I've put 5 shots into 0.400" @ 100 yds. Less expensive guns will shoot 0.5" groups and I've never heard anyone actually complain of the accuracy no matter what rifle they own.

13. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Savage all day long..... I wouldnt even waste your money on anything else, quality and accuracy is second to absolutley NOBODY out of the box!!! And I also reccomend the .17HMR over the .22 MAG. The .17HMR is a very impressive round.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Marlin is NOT out of business.

Sheesh.

See link.

15. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

I'm with you Mike Campbell on animals or Birds under 10 lbs .17 HMR is very good round.

16. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

A good friend is selling a very nice (early, 4 - screw) Smith & Wesson Model 48 in .22 magnum with 8 3/8" barrel on Gun Broker. Currently @ $840. A great buy. Regards, Ed

17. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

ask the "Swamp People", round of choice for Gators

18. crusha

crusha TS Member

There are many good choices now...didn't used to be that way. Whatever you get, if you want accuracy, make sure and test multiple brands of ammo, just like you would with any rimfire. My Ruger 77/22 heavy barrel wouldn't shoot 1" at 100 yds. with any CCI ammo, but once I started shooting Win. through it, it was happy. I then bought a bunch of that lot. Most people like the fancy CCI plastic box and sexy, shiny bullets, but I've found they're often no better than 2~3" groupers at 100yds.

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Listen to Mike Campbell!!

20. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Trevor, i have a Marlin .17HMR AND a Savage 17HMR and a Marlin .22mag. The .17's will out shoot the 22mag all day long. I (JMO)believe the .17 bullet is just better built for accuracy.I have seen you shoot trap at Tucson and I KNOW you would want your rifle to shoot as good as you shoot your shotgun.Marlin or Savage .17HMR is TOPS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Joe joe90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.