1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who made this famous quote?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

Who was the author of this famous quote?

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Lumper said that! I heard him!

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Nixon?

OK, WTS - but I looked it up. I thought it might be Lincoln.

Neil

4. biff

biff Active Member

Neil, I thought for sure you would know. It's as true today as it was then! Biff

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

William Tecumseh Sherman

6. biff

biff Active Member

Give MTA Tom a cigar! You didn't have to look that up did you? Biff

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Bill Crawford......Oh no wait, I see the correct name has been listed.....

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Bill Sherman and I marched through Georgia together.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Considering the life of W.T. Sherman, it is not surprising that few could find good things to write about him.

Pat Ireland

10. cle

cle Member

MTA Tom is correct..........Gen. Wm. T. Sherman.

11. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Apparently Pat you never read Sherman's Bio. He was a Great Person. We need their king today. Bill

12. biff

biff Active Member

Pat, I'm not a fan of Sherman,but he was a military man--he fought to win. He stated he wanted the southern people who were supporting the war to know what war was like and in doing so he broke the back of the confederacy. And Grant was called the butcher. When Lincoln was told that Grant, who was being successful, was a whiskey drinker; Lincoln asked what brand it was so he could send some to his other generals! Biff

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

biff- Grant was called "the butcher" by his own troops, not by the Southern gentry. W.T. Sherman marched back up through South Carolina after burning Georgia and came across my Great Great Great Grandfathers farm. Just for fun, he shot the horses, stole not only the food but also the seed corn, and burnt the house and barn. This military accomplishment was done with a smile. All my poor Great Great Great Grandmother could do was collect excrement from a neighbor with typhoid fever and spice up the wells that the Northern invaders used for drinking water. There is a possibility that I might have a slightly biased opinion of the reprobate called Gen. Sherman.

14. DJM

DJM Member

"You might as well appeal against the thunder-storm as against these terrible hardships of war. They are inevitable, and the only way the people of Atlanta can hope once more to live in peace and quiet at home, is to stop the war, which can only be done by admitting that it began in error and is perpetuated in pride." W. T. Sherman, 12 Sept. 1864

I wonder how our current day media would have dealt with this General.

15. biff

biff Active Member

Pat, is this why so few Southerners named their children Sherman?

Sounds like your Great,Great, Great Grandmother started a little biological warfare! I didn't know you eminated from Southern Aristocracy, you are not still angry, I can tell you haven't forgot!

djm, people looked at things much different then, I doubt if there was such a thing as Liberal Press in those days. Biff

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Biff - If you were to make a study of the objectiveness of the press in 1863 and today, you would quickly find that the current press is much more accurate and fair. This conclusion is not intended as a compliment to our current newspaper publications but is simply a reflection of the historic press.

And, I am proud of my Southern heritage. This pride can result in a bit of a bias.

Pat Ireland

17. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

In a tour of the Poe home in Richmond, VA the docent who conducted the tour mentioned "the war between the states, from which the South has not recovered". That was twenty years ago. Is it still true?

18. biff

biff Active Member

Pat, You are an Icon on TS.Com and I meant no disparaging remarks toward the South or Southerners. It was more of a parallel between how the army felt about the news then and the kind of news being reported today, seems like from the press all we hear are the bad things which are happening.

I had ancestors on both sides in the Civil War, I grew up witnessing several family skirmishes! Biff

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

biff- You certainly wrote nothing that was out of line. I always appreciate the opportunity to brag about the South.

Big Heap- No, we have not fully recovered from the War of Northern Aggression. There are still a few manufacturing jobs left in the North. Although most have moved to the South, our recovery will not be complete until we have all of them. We lost the war because of a deficiency in manufacturing capabilities, and we do not intend to let that ever happen again.

Pat Ireland- a very biased Southerner

20. willing

willing Member

For what it's worth, my most revered bumper sticker reads-- "Yankee by birth, r
    Rebel by choice"
    Proud North Carolinian
    Bill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.