1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Made It??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Recoil Sissy, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

There's a meandering discussion on another thread this morning covering topics like American made products and why one should or shouldn't patronize Walmart. Unlike that generalized thread, my post only concerns shooting hats. I'm referring to the ball caps that advertise our favorite shot shell brands, gun producers, clay target manufacturers, wad and propellant suppliers, etc.

I'm a hat guy. I have favorites but at any given time I have 40 or 50 assorted caps around the house. One or another of them is on my head during most of my waking hours whether it's summer or winter and whether I'm inside or out.

Here's the point: look at "Made in XXX" tags inside. You'll find a list of third world countries with China being the most common. Finding one made in America is a real challenge.**

I hold my nose and wear them but I draw the line at Viet Nam.

This year at the Grand I looked at a half dozen different styles and designs available from one of the big three U.S. bullet makers. (Here's a hint: the bullets are green or gold.) Without exception, all were made in Viet Nam. So... all my new hats from the Grand this year have different companies names on them.

Here's another point...

I would politely challenge all the proud organized labor guys on TS.C to look inside the shooting caps they're wearing. Then come back and tell us how many were made by 50 cent an hour workers in China, Bangladesh, the Dominican Republic, and Viet freakin' Nam.

sissy

** In my entire collection of ball caps the one made in the U.S. is an Alliant Powder Company hat advertising CLAY DOT powder.

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

And don't forget the 350 billion dollars we will send to China for interest on Obama's spending spree.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Here I thought I was the only one that boycott's anything made in Vietnam....

Way to go sissy!!

Curt

4. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Maybe we should look at the sticker on the back of the trophies that the ATA are awarding at each main event..

I won 2 silver ( nickle ) plates at our recent zone shoot and both had made in China stamps..

The buck stops in China..

Also during the Vancouver Olympics a couple years back , the Canadian Government sold mittens which were red in color and featured the Canadian Maple Leaf Flag motief..

The Olympic committee were selling these at a rate of only $10. a pair and were advertised as a quality made product from China..

Man I would have bought a pair at $20. bucks if they were made in our home land where by someone got a pay cheque for their labors..

Oh yes , there were reports of those mittens falling apart in the first winter..

Buy items Made Right Here and create work..

Robert Appleby

( Newfoundlander )

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

What is everyone willing to pay for a made in USA hat.

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Amen , look for the "Made in USA" inside and don`t buy it whatever shells or guns your using thats embroydered or printed on the front . My Ljutic hat - made in China , My New Orleans hat - made in China , my local kids fishing derby hat - made in Bangladesh , My NRA-ILA hat - made in USA and it is the only one that doesn`t fit properly but I now will wear it more !!!

7. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I buy New Balance athletic shoes, I buy the ones that are Made in USA. If you look at their website, they tell you which are which.

I think there is much to complain about our idiot politicians and their idiot "free trade" deals....but I think individually we each need to do our part when there is a choice available...which is often not the case.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sissy,

I looked at all of mine and out of my 20 some shooting hats, NOT ONE of them was made here. Thats sad. Very sad.

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Here's the point; you, the American consumer won't pay the price for a domestic hat. I have friend who's in the silk screen and embroidery business, he's told me he can't source a ball cap made in the U.S. for less than twice the cost of an import. What This means is a typical $20.00 ball cap with logo is going to be $40.00 or more, a price point most won't pay unless it's a designer piece sold in an upscale enviornment which is not a trap shoot or a gun shop.

It's the American consumer who has been driving manufacturing offshore in their quest for lower prices. Walmart didn't grow to be the world's largest retailer because they're products were priced at the same level as Sears, Wards, Kmart and others. They gave the consumer what they wanted, lower prices,
    prices that weren't available from domestic manufacturers.

I'm sorry you can't have it both ways unless you're willing to work for $2.50 an hour, you just can't. The consumer made the choice, high cost domestic products or low cost imports, you guy's and gal's made the decision to go the low cost route, now you have to live with the outcome. At least you had a choice didn't you.............

Surfer

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Exactly....

11. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

I give caps to my clinic attendees

I used to buy "Made in America" only--now there are no (that I am aware of) mfg's making the styles of caps we wear.

So am I supposed to quit giving caps???

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Hi Phil:

Good question. Here's another. Are any of the styles you provide available from non-communist and non-totalitarian countries that aren't actively hostile to free countries in general and the U.S. in particular?

sissy

13. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Too little to late, suffer.

Harry

14. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Ther's an old saying talk quality, buy price. I've been selling components to manufactures for forty years who in turn intergrate them into their finished product.

In most, but not all cases the conversations starts with the quality talk and ends up with price as the deciding factor yeilding lower quality component on their end product.

To have anything top quality costs more, this is the reason P-guns, K-guns, G-guns cost more than automated production guns. Oh! yes, you can obtain high quality goods at a lower cost if you out-source to other countries who have a lower cost, a much lower cost labor base than the U.S. It's labor that drives costs to a higher level, this is why Japan, then Taiwan, then Mexico, then Bangladesh and now China's finnished goods find there way into our households.

As each countries standard of living improves so do wages which in turn makes them none competitive in price driven goods mainly the ones found at Walmart and other big box retailers. Countries like Korea and Japan have turned away from low cost, low tech consumer goods in favor of high tech electronics and cars.

As long as you the consumer demands low priced goods, manufacturing will continue to move around the globe to the low cost labor provider, so get use to it. To answer Sissy question, it's maybe if you look hard enough.........

Surfer

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Bottom line is you have to pay for quality no matter where it is made. Then all that is needed is to recognize quality when you see it, so you are getting those extra dollars worth, instead of paying extra for a lesser quality product.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Careful what you wish for ...

The most probable event that will return us to 'made in USA' is a global economic collapse and when that happens we will be on a barter system where you trade for what ever you can get and quality will be the least of your concearns.

17. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

It's pretty simple for me. I'd LIKE to buy everything "made in the USA," but the prices are too high. Jeans at $40-$100? No way. Wranglers for $16 or so are fine. Same with polo type shirts. Izods for $16-20 are fine, and I can't see paying $40 or more for American Made.

Caps? I rarely buy one, so many companies/vendors give them away for free. But, if someone in the US made one that fit properly for $10-$15, I'd buy it. Might even go $20. But I haven't seen any.

I'd pay more for American Made, just not that much more.

Bob

18. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

All of our hats at Quinton Sportsmens Club are made in USA!! We get them from the following company in Denver.

Competition Headwear is the best choice if you want:
    · •Made in USA Top Quality Baseball Style Caps and Visors
    · •A product made to order just for you
    · •Freedom to choose your own color combinations...if you think it...we can make it
    · •Fastest production time in the industry
    · •Personal Service

Competition Headwear was founded in the early 1980s and acquired by the present owner in 1992. Our factory is located in Denver, Colorado, where every cap is manufactured and embroidered according to each customer's desired specifications. Our factory operates 200 heads of embroidery equipment and has the capacity to produce nearly 4,000 caps in a single day.

Our focus is in the promotional, entertainment, motor racing and events industries where we have been a supplier to many high-profile marketing and promotional companies. Customers choose us because of our superb quality, reliability, prices and the ease and peace of mind they find in doing business with us.

We are the only supplier of caps cut, sewn, and embroidered 100% in the United States of America with a 5 star ASI Rating. We guarantee every panel of every cap or visor we ship was produced in our Denver factory, we do not use any imported panels or major components in ANY of our products. We believe that there is a demand for USA custom made caps and headwear and it is our mission to provide our customers with the best product possible at a competitive price. We believe our prices are the best in the domestic embroidered baseball cap industry even when compared to imported caps embroidered domestically through apparel wholesalers such as SanMar, Alpha Shirt and Broder Bros.

COMPETITION HEADWEAR ©2010 *
    asi 46179 * DENVER * COLORADO * USA

Jere

19. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It is the Sh$ts about the caps all being made overseas

But here is a bit of history on the "gimme caps" they were originally made by K products in Orange City Iowa, and they got their start from a huge order of them from DeKalb seed corn company, I knew one of the owners who started the company a long time ago, he related the story to me

I think they had to shut down or move off shore because of all the imports

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Bottom line is you have to pay for quality no matter where it is made."

My question is what defines quality over cheaper costs of materials and labor??

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.