1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who made all alum subgauge tubes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Hi guys,

I saw an unmarked set of 28" alum s/g tubes at a show for $750, They were one piece, with fixed chokes. They were greenish in color and the 410 tube had a bunch of o-rings around the midsection.

Seller had no idea who made them.

There were no ejectors, just a filed slot for the orig guns ejector.

Perfect shape, but clearly old.

Any idea who could have made them and are they worth buying?

Were said to have been in a Browning but I don't know if they were fitted.
    Since the chamber is aluminum, I am not sure they wouldnt crack in a Beretta.

Thoughts?

thanks again !

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Purbaugh? Bill Malcolm

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Purbaugh or skeetmaster. Basically worthless unless they have the gun or barrel that they were fit to, and even then, they add VERY little value (maybe a few hundred bucks at most) to the basic gun. $750 for a used set with no matching barrel and missing ejectors is beyond ridiculous. A set of purbaugh/skeetmaster tubes WITH the barrels they belonged in might be worth $750 (depending on mfg).

Each gauge had its own set of ejectors that had to be changed with the tubes, you didn't use your 12ga ejectors for all 4 gauges. Since it's missing the subgauge ejectors, replacements would need to be fabricated. By the time all is said and done, you would EASILY have the cost of a set of brand new tubes invested into them to make them work right.

Steer clear.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Purbaugh tubes were the first commercially successful full length subgauge tubes, then Skeetmaster. Purbaughs are usually purple, Skeetmasters are blue-green.

They were hand choked and worked very well. The big boys, Briley and Kolar came on the scene with vastly improved integral ejectors, and the aluminum quick change ejector system tubes went away.

I ran my first hundred straight in a 20 ga Skeet event with Purbaughs in an ancient 3200. This was a long, long time ago.

At one time, Briley would install their chamber/ejector system on them. We called them "Bribaughs", or "Brimasters".

5. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Those are Purbaugh tubes. Skeetmaster were a light gray. The tubes are worthless, since this set has a missing or broken extractor on one gauge. When they were made the price for a full set was around $500 with extractors and fitted to your barrel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

purbaugh sub gauge tubes

skeetmaster sub gauge tubes