1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is using Clays powder in AA hulls??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lakecrisco, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lakecrisco

lakecrisco TS Member

Looked at all the loading data. What is your favorite load with Clays in this hull with 1 1/8 oz shot?

2. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I use a #31 MEC bushing - the one I have drops ~ 17 grains of Clays when used in my MEC9000H --- Winchester Orange wads and WW209 primers - works well.

3. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I did for years-17gns w/ CB1118 wad and wn209 primer. I just switched to PB because the Clays is a good 1 0Z singles load but @1 1/8 oz, the pressure is too high for ME and when I spent hours patterning Clays: what I saw were poor patterrns w/ the center blown out.

Clays runs about 10-11,000 PSI and the PB load I use now is below 7,000!

Most important,my averages are up and got 1 1/2 yds this year since the switch.I give credit to the load switch.

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Ditto the #31 bushing, cays or claydot.

Blackfoot,

How many grains of PB do you load?

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Try Clays International next time! Lower volume makes for a better crimp in the new style AA's!!

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

21.0 grs. PB with a 1 1/8oz. shot, AA wad and Winchester primer. Sweetest Singles load ever-especially in old style AA's. Crank 'em up and the pressure is still low enough for an outstanding Handicap shell.

New style AA's seem to have less volume so bulky powders aren't the best for crimping but they still shoot great!!

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Ok,

Now I have to have some PB.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I won't load Clays for 1 1/8oz in the Win AA Hulls or the STS style hulls, UNLESS the loads are VERY light. It's a good powder for 1oz in those hulls, but the pressure can run high with 1 1/8 loads. I'd use Promo or Green Dot, depending on what velocity I want. I try to stay under 10,000PSI for target loads. The closer to 9000 or a bit less, the better. Clays is OK for some of the larger volume straight tubes like the Federal Gold Medals using normal 1 1/8 oz loads. Always double check your data.

9. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

I am using 16.2g of Clay dot with both 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz loads in my STS and AA hulls, Using Target 12 wad with 1 oz in STS and WAA 12 wad with AA hulls and 1 1/8 oz. Very soft shooting and smokes targets at 16. Using Green Dot for handicap.

10. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I've made the complete switch from Clays(used for 15 years) to PB & my scores have jumped and I have no felt recoil effects during or after shooting.

AA old style-20.5 for 1 oz singles &21.5 for 1 1/8 oz hdcp,Claybuster wads & WN209 primers.They run out @ about 1150.Great patterns in my gun but had to reduce chokes a little because they tighten patterns somewhat from what i was shooting w/ Clays.

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Clays for 7/8 oz.

Promo for 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz Singles and Doubles

Green Dot or International Clays for 1 /8 oz HC

Don Verna

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>"and I have no felt recoil effects during or after shooting."</i>

blackfoot,

Bet you a dozen donuts your muzzle velocity is lower with your new load.

13. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Compared to what?The 1oz and 1 1/8 PB loads go out at the same speed- about 1150+/-.

I was not trying to duplicate the 1 1/8 oz Clays load but to come up w/ a load that was lower pressure,lower recoil and would give me better breaks:load speed was never a consideration.

14. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Pressure has NOTHING to do with recoil.....if thats what your thinking.

15. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Maybe REAQDING is a lost art! READ what I said:lower recoil, lower pressure(10K+ to 7k)and better patterns.Where did I say that lower pressure =lower recoil!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.