1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is throwing MORE birds?!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spitter, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

In 2011, our final numbers for PRACTICE are up about 5-6% over 2010... if your numbers are UP, what do you attribute that to?! What will you do in 2012 to further improve upon those results?

Jay

2. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Our numbers are up at our club, too, and I am surprised about that. We're getting alot of new shooters dipping their toes into the trapshooting pool. I wonder if some of the TV shows relating to shooting are part of it (Top Shot, Shooting Stars, the Outdoor Channel shows, the coverage of the Grand Shootoff, etc).

3. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

This is refreshing. We usually read about how this sport is dying.

Joe

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I don't know if Markam Park is throwing more or less birds than last year but they do throw about 1.5 million birds per year between skeet, trap, 5 stand & sporting clays. Keep in mind that Markham is a public facility that is open 6 days a week with night shooting on Tues-Thurs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

We are up significantly on practice, because we have a lot of new members. We are even on green bird, and down on meat shoots. A lot of the newer members don't feel they are "good enough" to "compete".

6. spitter

Not familiar with the term "Green Bird"... what is that, please?!

Jay

7. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Over 3 million targets at Birchwood Recreation and Shooting Park in Chugiak,Alaska with all the ATA,NSSA and NSCA targets and Fall and Spring leagues the Club is just exploding with new shooters and with and 60, 5 member league teams and a Womens Champion Team its an awesome place to shoot.We have 4 Junior teams with full sponsorship from Peak Oilfield Services,Baker Hughes and Copper River Seafoods.In the picture to the left is Jim McCormick the manager of the range and a big part of the help that has transformed the range,the Secreatary Lorraine Tallman also is a big part of the help.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Where is Markam, and expain the Green bird thing.

9. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

I shot my first shotgun shells last august. Since then a friend, my mom and dad have all all bought guns, and shot trap nearly evevy single weekend. My wife and another friend have also started shooting and they are buying their own trap guns in march. Not to mention another family friend has gotten back into it after not shooting a registered ATA target in nearly 20 years. Since i started shooting back in August the club manager said the trap numbers have nearly doubled. He said people stopped showing up because they would come and be stuck shooting by themselves. Now they see people are regularly shooting trap so they are more apt to come out and shoot. My goal is to have a squad of 5 people between my family and friends show up at the club every single weekend, so we can fill a squad. This is all because my friends and family thought this was a great way to re-unite and spend more time together since some live out of state.

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Setterman,

Markham Park is in Sunrise Florida. About 15 miles West of the Ft. Laudedale airport. I think a green bird shoot is where a green bird or birds are mixed in with the regular birds. If you get a green bird and break it you win something.

Eric

11. spitter

Eric:

BTW... nice pics of the grounds!

Looking at the infrastructure - buildings, shade canopies, lighting etc... I can see the capital investment...

Jay

12. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Jay,

Those pictures were taken about 7am on Feb 2 this year on the 1st day of the Florida Chain Shoot. I should have waited 15 more minutes to take the pictures when the lights went on. The lighting is all Musco computer controlled sports lighting with 10 fixtures per field in a 3-4-3 set up. A recent lighting upgrade about 2 years ago cost about $150,000. In 3 years the upgrade will pay for itself in electric cost savings. When you're Broward County that owns the park & range you don't cheap out on long term investments.

Eric

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

In a Green Bird format shoot, some all green birds are mixed in with the regular birds so that you always get two or three thrown for each squad. The first green bird broken is the winner and wins a prize regardless of score. The remaining four shooters compete for the high gun prize. Ties are drawn from the hat.

If a green bird breaks when thrown, the shooter calls for another target, and that bird is considered green. If no one hits a green bird, all five shooters go into the hat and the GB winner is drawn, and the remaining four compete for high gun.

We run several kinds of shoots in green bird format. One, everyone pays $6 for the round instead of the usual $5 and there are two $2 cash prizes awarded. Currently we hold $7 GB events with two prizes; your choice of a NY Strip steak, a pound of Bacon, a pair of pork chops or $5. We also run some ham and turkey shoots in that format. It is easier to explain than Lewis Class, preserves an element of luck so even mediocre shooters feel they have a chance to win, and keeps good shooters interested because they compete for HG.

14. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

That is actually a problem at my club. We only have 1 field and have at least 40 people showing up for shoots. We usually don't have time for a second event. That's not even including the guys who only shoot practice.

15. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

What does it cost for a round at Markam? Trap? Skeet? 5 stand? Sporting?

16. spitter

Dust...

It's shame that you can't pair 'em up on each station... Squads of 10... well, maybe for practice...

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.