1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is the next Leo coming from the Junior ranks?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 18, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Back in the 70's, a well known shooter from my area told me to watch a junior by the name of Leo Harrison. This guy felt by the time Leo's shooting career was over that he could be one of the best.

Although Leo's career is far from over, his prediction looks pretty good.

Is there any one male or female coming out of the junior ranks that most will say they are "can't miss" on being potentially becoming one of the best?

I asked the same guy the other night who to look out for and without hesitation he said a junior by the name of a Anthony Fortino. Any one know anything about him?

Just curious, any male or female coming out of the junior ranks that are strongly considered blue chippers.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. dustmaker

dustmaker Member

Looking at the HOA at the MN state shoot, SJ Gunnar Gens came in second among all MN shooters. His dad Scott came in first.

3. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Just a year or two out of Junior ranks would be Rachel Hopkins from MO. She won the MO state handicap for the second year in a row with 99 from 27. This year won All Around with 397/400.

milt

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Not many will stay. Some might come back in 15 or so years.

And the $$$$'s not that much of a draw anymore...

5. Carl Chadwell

Carl Chadwell TS Member

There will never be another Leo...after God made him, He broke the mold.

peace.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

There will never be another that's as committed to the sport as Leo and thus the big wins will not be present.

Most won't stay in the sport once they are responsible for the ride and rarely do they come back to any significance.

At the present, Rachel would be my pick for a record setter. Sam if she stays and I hope she does.

7. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Out west here we have a few very good young shooters, two young men are Hardy Musselman and Sharred Oakes as far as young ladies Haley Musselman. All three have the ability and the scores, it remains to be seen if they stay in the sport or not. Another thing that many may not talk about is respect to adults and being humble. From what I have seen, these three sure appear to have that. I know the fathers of all three and in Sharred's case I know his grandpa, Craig Hart, the kids are given great opportunity and the parents and grand parents steer them in the right direction, they are good examples to these young people and how they are is not coincidence, it is good parenting. Scott

8. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Justin Slater

9. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

I dont what age Matt Bartholmew is, but I would bet on him. I also had the privledge of shooting with Haley Mussleman and the Wyo state shoot. I think she is only 12 years old. Very humble and polite, and an excellent shot. Said she had a 99 in caps in Utah. If Ma and Pa can keep the boys away from her she is going to be a good one. LOL

10. Adam54

Adam54 Member

Your forgetting Ian Fleming he is an awesome young shooter.

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It's Matt Bartholow. He and his brother Foster Bartholow are excellent shooters but even they will tell you there is only one Leo Harrison.

12. senior smoke

I no longer shoot tournaments and I'm not as in touch as I should be. I let my Trap & Field magazine subscription run out and plan to subscribed again so I can keep up to date.

I just received a PM from one of the guys on this site and I told him the same guy that predicted Leo Harrison years ago told me a junior named Hopkins would be a good one a few years ago too. I take it Rachel is her first name? Per the above comments she is shooting well.

Sad to say over the past 43 years I have only seen a handful of shooters continue in serious competition when the parents stop paying for them. Let's face it, at an early age with college not many can afford our sport until they get a good paying job down the road.

I strongly believe if a junior shooter has his or her head on straight and respects authority, that is a good start to being a respected successful tournament shooter.

You may disagree with me, but from what I have seen over the years in general the best shooters that I knew treat their parents and fellow shooters with respect. I believe this is a good start to be successful in any endeavor.
    Steve

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

None yet.

Rachel Hopkins is the real deal on the distaff side. She's got it all. Samantha Foppe's a real contender too and we'll see how she goes from here.

14. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I see some of the scores Anthony Fortino and Dale Gerlich from Illinois shoot and it amazes me. Could be either of them.

15. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

One deference we see in a lot of youths today compared to when Leo was a kid shooting a Remy 1100, is the gun and ammunition they are shooting. We see Juniors out there shooting K-80's and new STS shells letting the hulls hit the ground. Obviously they have the money to do it, or a relative does, but I would guess most people that started 40 years ago did not have that kind of advantage in a top of the line firearm. It is always the Indian and not the arrow, but dang, it is an advantage to have a top of the line arrow. Gun fit, feel ,balance and lock time.
    My guess in the three youths I mentioned, before they are adults they will have set some very impressive records at the pace they are going, Hardy is 16, Sharred I think 13 or 14 and Haley 12. They have nice form, cool composure and shoot very very well. Scott

16. senior smoke

Scott:
    What you say is very true.
    Steve

17. Dodgers28

Dodgers28 Member

I have to agree - not sure there will ever be another Leo, however - I will throw my hat into the Anthony Fortino ring, very well mannered young man and very talented!

Dodger Boy

18. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

By strictly size, I vote for Preston Crandell, good shooter too!

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Preston is a good kid. He is a very accomplished shooter at such a young age and has the manners to go along with the good shooting. I got to know him the first year he started. He has since progressed very fast. His parents are salt of the Earth good people as well. And yes, Preston has the Trap shooter build.

Lauren Mueller is another very talented young shooter. Also a very nice polite young lady.

20. miner1

miner1 Member

I got into the game in 1987, but with a few multi-year lay-offs, I don't pretend to remember all of the young stars, but as mentioned in earlier posts, most will wash out due to lack of funds. IF, mom, dad, grandpa, continue to foot the bill, it still doesn't mean the kids will stay in the game. The Leo's and Harlan's were kind of destined to be where they are (and they worked VERY hard to get there). I see some youngsters at every shoot, and sometimes I really wonder if they wouldn't rather be with friends elsewhere doing 'kid things'. I sometimes wonder if it isn't the parents or grandparents living vicariously through their kids' lives? I guess I did the evil 'off topic' thing that I hate so much, but who IS the next Leo????? The youngster that wants it the most, regardless of silver spoons, support, manners, maturity, etc......

Search tags for this page

anthony fortino trapshooting

blake campbell trapshooter
did dan bonillas the trapshooter serve in the military

haley musselman trap

leocoming lol