1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is the go to guy for barrel work?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blooch, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blooch

blooch Member

I have a couple of automatic barrels with fixed chokes that I would like to have screw in chokes put in, lengthen the forcing cones, maybe back bore and port. Who is the best guy to perform this work?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Wilkinson. HMB

3. Jacob Guthrie

Jacob Guthrie Member

Tom Wilkinson (not the actor) or Kerry Allor both do great work.

4. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

Wilkinson vote here too.

5. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Let me know how that investment turns out on these high priced barrels!
    Tom Rhoads

6. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Not for nothing but I think you'll be $$$ ahead buying a rem-choke barrel (or whatever make) then sell yours outright. It hurts the value to have aftermarket chokes and you'll never recoup what you spend. just my .02

7. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

You are going to put $600 into a $150 barrel.

8. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

I just had ballistic specialtys put chokes in a super x1 --they lenghted the forcing cones and threaded it for Beretta optima chokes 125 for threading 60 for cones 40 a choke I think getting the cones worked was well worth it i can not belive how it smashes birds with a skeet choke . i got a LM choke as well.

I sure am glad I had it choked

I dont care for porting -make them to loud if you wanted to shoot doves and such

9. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

For basic screw in chokes and backbore/forcing cone work I would vote for Briley's or Ballistic Specialties. Both are good. Allor and Wilkinson are both top notch barrel guys, (and my friends...), but I would not put that kind of money into a auto-loader barrel.

Bob Schultz

10. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I take all my work to Jim Eyster at Heritage Gunsmiths Centerburg, Ohio.

Jim Eyster
    (740) 625-6131
    jimeyster@ecr.net

TNCoach

11. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Kerry Allor is the man, but for what you're doing, I'd send it to Briley.

12. blooch

blooch Member

What about Wright's?

Briley
    Might be good, used to love them. I will never give them another penny of my money and have sold every Briley product that was in my possession.
    Involved selling a bunch of guns and choke tubes, skeet tubes and accessories.

Lot of money on an auto barrel..... Yup, but it works for me and its my money.

13. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Hey,if the gun works well for you,spend the $$$. It will only work better.
    I like Wilkinson. Have 2 TM's & a Belgian Browning done by him. Worth every cent. Yes,there was a HUGE diffeence esp in the Browning(for doubles.) It patterned decently before,I was stunned after the 1st shot & station. Can a gun break targets that well? If you love the gun now,you will love it more after,spend the $$$

14. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Kerry Allor did all my work, he is top notch....

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>screw in chokes put in</i>

Why?

<i>lengthen the forcing cones</i>

Why?

<i>maybe back bore</i>

Why?

<i>port</i>

Why?

Why do you think you need to do these things and what do you think these barrel modifications will get you?

They might make you "feel better" about your barrel but it won't get you a single target you wouldn't have gotten with the barrel as it is now.

And it won't reduce recoil a bit.

Like you said, its your money.

16. blooch

blooch Member

I had a barrel with everything but the porting and did shoot it pretty well, missed only three targets out of 2100, and all of those in one event, the last year I shot much. I only managed to shoot about 10 hundreds in 23 tries in the season without the modifications. Yeah, in that pink tutu sport, skeet.

Since USPS saw fit to lose that barrel, I figure I would do another one in similar fashion, it worked for me. Briley did the one I no longer have and I will not use them anymore, so I thought I would see who else was well thought of.

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

I am not sure but I think Winston once asked if anyone patterns their barrel before and after it is "improved" to determine what the "improvement" was.

It would be interesting. Some of us would be grateful if you would do this and report back.

Even better. Pattern it, determine what it lacks, and what you want. Then let's see if the "magic" works.

Don Verna

18. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Well, I put $600 in a 391 barrel which included 3 chokes by Allor. I have 3 391's and just switch the barrel to the 391 I want to shoot - well satisfied and would do it again for sure knowing how the barrel/chokes perform now. Have switched back to my factory barrels/chokes and it just isn't the same. If shooting competition, I will not use them - got to go with the Allor set-up.

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Stu Wright get most of my lower priced projects.. His work is flawless.. all done in house.. His countless years of doing barrels shows in his work.. He's a well kept secret.. Stu has done a few of my bunker barrels and all have come out excellent.. Tom Wilkinson gets my expensive work.. Again.. Flawless..

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

But like Don Verna asked, does anyone really pattern their gun, using a computer program like Shotgun Insight and not just eyeballing it, and do a before and after using the same shells?

Now THAT would be something I would be interested in seeing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.