Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is the go to guy for barrel work?

4K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  smsnyder 
#1 ·
I have a couple of automatic barrels with fixed chokes that I would like to have screw in chokes put in, lengthen the forcing cones, maybe back bore and port. Who is the best guy to perform this work?

#8 ·
I just had ballistic specialtys put chokes in a super x1 --they lenghted the forcing cones and threaded it for Beretta optima chokes 125 for threading 60 for cones 40 a choke I think getting the cones worked was well worth it i can not belive how it smashes birds with a skeet choke . i got a LM choke as well.

I sure am glad I had it choked

I dont care for porting -make them to loud if you wanted to shoot doves and such

#12 ·
What about Wright's?

Briley
Might be good, used to love them. I will never give them another penny of my money and have sold every Briley product that was in my possession.
Involved selling a bunch of guns and choke tubes, skeet tubes and accessories.

Lot of money on an auto barrel..... Yup, but it works for me and its my money.

#13 ·
Hey,if the gun works well for you,spend the $$$. It will only work better.
I like Wilkinson. Have 2 TM's & a Belgian Browning done by him. Worth every cent. Yes,there was a HUGE diffeence esp in the Browning(for doubles.) It patterned decently before,I was stunned after the 1st shot & station. Can a gun break targets that well? If you love the gun now,you will love it more after,spend the $$$

#15 ·
<i>screw in chokes put in</i>

Why?

<i>lengthen the forcing cones</i>

Why?

<i>maybe back bore</i>

Why?

<i>port</i>

Why?

Why do you think you need to do these things and what do you think these barrel modifications will get you?

They might make you "feel better" about your barrel but it won't get you a single target you wouldn't have gotten with the barrel as it is now.

And it won't reduce recoil a bit.

Like you said, its your money.

#16 ·
I had a barrel with everything but the porting and did shoot it pretty well, missed only three targets out of 2100, and all of those in one event, the last year I shot much. I only managed to shoot about 10 hundreds in 23 tries in the season without the modifications. Yeah, in that pink tutu sport, skeet.

Since USPS saw fit to lose that barrel, I figure I would do another one in similar fashion, it worked for me. Briley did the one I no longer have and I will not use them anymore, so I thought I would see who else was well thought of.

#17 ·
I am not sure but I think Winston once asked if anyone patterns their barrel before and after it is "improved" to determine what the "improvement" was.

It would be interesting. Some of us would be grateful if you would do this and report back.

Even better. Pattern it, determine what it lacks, and what you want. Then let's see if the "magic" works.

Don Verna

#18 ·
Well, I put $600 in a 391 barrel which included 3 chokes by Allor. I have 3 391's and just switch the barrel to the 391 I want to shoot - well satisfied and would do it again for sure knowing how the barrel/chokes perform now. Have switched back to my factory barrels/chokes and it just isn't the same. If shooting competition, I will not use them - got to go with the Allor set-up.

#19 ·
Stu Wright get most of my lower priced projects.. His work is flawless.. all done in house.. His countless years of doing barrels shows in his work.. He's a well kept secret.. Stu has done a few of my bunker barrels and all have come out excellent.. Tom Wilkinson gets my expensive work.. Again.. Flawless..

#20 ·
But like Don Verna asked, does anyone really pattern their gun, using a computer program like Shotgun Insight and not just eyeballing it, and do a before and after using the same shells?

Now THAT would be something I would be interested in seeing.

#21 ·
Tim, All we are going to get is "eyeballing." Neil certainly could do it, maybe has, but I bet he would not print it because of ethics. As for " magic" ,and not simple repair or chokes, I also doubt the actual barrel smiths do it either. The whole idea of shooting a couple of patterns, tweaking, shooting a few patterns and tweaking is ridiculous anyway.

#22 ·
I've always been really skeptical when someone says "my barrel likes 8's way better than 7½'s." Just maybe some barrel somewhere does, but I just can't fathom why that would be. Such a small difference in pellet size contained in a plastic sleeve.

#23 ·
Jerry

Honestly, I believe these guys CAN make a poor barrel shoot better.

But I am skeptical that they can noticeably improve a barrel that already throws a good pattern.

And, I am skeptical of the whole forcing cone song and dance (both improving patterns and reducing recoil.).

I just don't understand the guys who get a brand new high dollar gun, and send it to Wilkinson without ever having shot a shell through it.

#24 ·
Tim,When you say poor barrel, it may be the result of production errors. It could be remachined and those problems eliminated. It would shoot better, I agree.

I am skeptical of the same things you are. There is no magic. I think the people who send off a new gun have more money than sense.

RickN , They shoot one pattern of each and make the claim. Maybe just shoot the bottom of a target box. I don't see how it is possible either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.