1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is the best on porting and forcing cones

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gasman03, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I am looking to have my son's shotgun ported. I also what the forcing cones out of his and mine. His is an 1100 and would also like a wire shell catcher put in. Who is the best for this kind of work?

Thanks Corey

2. ZeroHero

ZeroHero TS Member

Tron can do the wire. Why do you want this work done? Many on this site have convinced me that forcing cone work and porting are a waste of my money.

Duke

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Corey, semi-autos often need other work, specifically bigger gas ports - to keep functioning after porting. As far as forcing cones go, I took a well-performing 870 and had the cone professionally lengthened and . . .

[​IMG]

Understand that this is no claim that lengthening forcing cones always does no good, but this example matches the other two tests I've done. Here's one:

[​IMG]

Maybe someone else will provide some added data on patterning effects of this modification.

Neil

4. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Neil, I would be interested in what size shot you were using and payload you were using, and velocity? I would like to see comparison with larger size shot, and bigger pay load, and increased velocity. Maybe 1 1/4 oz 5's 1400 FPS LongShot load that many use here for games from the 34yd line. 10Tenner

5. Neil Winston

They were three-dram 7 1/2 Federal papers, 10Tenner. As far as what you suggest I've no idea, but maybe someone else has done this with the kind of thing you ask about and will post the data here.

Neil

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I did some patterns when I got my reamer. While I got the same results, I did notice the patterns were much smoother and more evenly distributed even though the pellet counts were the same.

This was with BT-99 and 1100 Barrels.

I still do all my cones because of this. I agree that the forcing cone jobs probably will not influence pellet counts. I think the small pattern improvement is still worth it.

HM

7. Neil Winston

Halfmile, current thinking is that all patterns of similar percentage are the same, in the long run. I've shot hundreds and hundreds and never found a way to estimate either "smoothness" or "even distribution." All trap patterns are hot in the center and the pellet counts in the inner rings jump around (shot-to-shot) in an unpredictable way. As you can see, in neither test I posted above is there _any_ difference in the variability of those inner rings between lengthened and unmodified cones.

Neil

8. m70win

m70win Member

I shoot an 1100 for sporting clays and hunting. I found better patterns when I switched to Briley extended chokes. The Briley chokes seemed to center the patterns better.

Tim

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I agree. I also am sure it's just your imagination.

Neil, my results were purely subjective, on visual observation. Probably not enough, but since I have the reamer and love to play with tools........

HM

10. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Porting is only an advantage for two shot games. Skeet dbls, trap dbls,flyers, etc. It's to stop barrel bounce, not treat recoil. Foolish on sgl.bbl. trap guns

11. kolarkim

kolarkim Member

have had several types of porting and will say SOME dont make a difference, also I agree that it doesnt make much difference in a single barrel, but I do feel it and beleive in it first shot of doubles, but I have only seen two types of porting that made any difference for me. that is the angle ports done by ballistic specialties (kolar has this type and so does a company out of Cal.) this is my OPINION you descide for yourself. I have had several guns and types. good luck. KK

12. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I don't want to get the porting done and screw up the gas ports. I have never had an auto before. I guess the main thing I would like to get done is the wire shell catcher. I have seen the ones on the out side of the gun and I don't want to mark up the finish of the gun.

Corey

13. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Forcing cones are changed to alter recoil sensation not improve patterns. With a wire shell catcher you stand the chance of the wire popping out. I have had it happen and being left handed I felt it hit my cheek. Go with a clip on catcher. Most are plastic and will not harm the finish. An Auto is ported, the gas ports release the gases to actuate the bolt. Porting release gases to lessen barrel bounce. Better to just enlarge the gas ports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.