1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is the ATA's slowest shooter?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dickgshot, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Who is the ATA

I am always impressed by 27 yard shooters shooters that can ride a target out and still break them consistently. That ability to point out a target is more impressive than nailing them right out of the house.
    Years ago I saw Dan Orlich shoot, and he never rushed the target, just broke it when he was sure he was on it. Maybe it was just the conditions that day, but I assume he always shot that way.

2. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i think he's from tarkio mo.!! what do you think jack?

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I sometimes ride targets almost to the ground, but I've never seen a 27 yarder shoot after the target peaks. It probably happens, but I've never seen it.

4. Seitz373

Seitz373 Member

Pat Lamont! 2008 GAH, HAA champ, 2009 HAA champ.

5. recurvyarcher

Are you talkin' about his set up or after he calls for the target?

6. Seitz373

Seitz373 Member

Set-up. One year at the grand he was shooting off in singles on a squad with Leo and Leo shot out of turn because he had 'waited long enough.'

7. recurvyarcher

Yeah, I've seen his set up. That's what I thought. I bet he would shoot just as well with a more simple set up.

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Reading comprehension isn't doing any better than spelling on this forum. Of course, someone could start a thread on the slowest setup - but this ain't it.
    Must be the early hour on a Sunday morning.

9. recurvyarcher

dickgtax, not that I started it (I just confirmed a suspicion), but if you really want to get technical about it, why don't you ask Phil Kiner if set up isn't a part of your shooting?

BTW...I wish I could shoot as well as Pat LaMont.

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'm bad on names.. but I've shot with a few people so slow you could back a cake while they were shooting a target.. It's important to pick the right squad to shoot with.. The finest shooting is done with a rythum.. Worse than 1 in the squad who treats every target like a new experience is a squad with 2 like that.. I think it should be a rule if you can't mount and shoot in a timely fashion..you wear a badge so we can identify you..
    In practice it really does not matter much.. In regestered shoots.. you should know what your shells look like.. No need to inspect each and every one.. EVERY time you load your gun.. ESPECIALLY if its factory shells.. And giving your gun a look over.. like you're not sure you picked up the right one on the rack.. give me a break.. No one else shoots a Winchester 96 with a custom fashioned PFS stock painted green and purple with black stars on it..
    What's this thing.. you're a B class shooter for 16 years now.. and you mount.. unmount and then remount the gun no less than 3 times before you shoot.. Why are you reaching in your pocket..???? You shells are in your shell pouch..Are you playing pocket pool???? The trapline is the wrong place for self stimulation.. Look.. your squad members will buy you a new belt..Why are you pulling your pants up..and readjusting how you look.. I don't really care if your pants are down by your ankles..just shoot the damn target..
    Ok.. this thing about riding the target to the ground..I'll give you that...but then.. put your damn gun down.. Don't stand out there like a bronze statue in the park.. You've had your moment and Field and Clay is not taking pictures.. OK.. Understand??? Go home.. stand in front of a mirror.. shotgun in hand. and just admire your flawless form..LOL... No one else on your squad is looking at you..
    Personally,I think some shooters shoot poorly.. and want the rest of the squad to do the same... I could go on and on.. but I've bent your ear enough.. I invite your reply.. All Good.. Mike

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Me. I shoot rather fast, but mentally I am a very slow.

Pat Ireland

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Who is the ATA

Are you feeling ok this morning Mike??? LOL I have to agree 100% with what you said i just couldn't get it to come out that smoothly.---Matt

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Pat.. you're thoughtful and wise.. Don't confuse that with slow.. All Good.. Mike

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. despite the fact I have not shot trap in over a year.. My mind has been putting me back to the line.. Maybe I'm getting close.. My weight is down.. and my vision is starting to improve.. Maybe.. just maybe... BUT.. Last night.. in my dreams. I was back on the line.. I was at a club I've never been to.. and knew no one.. The 4 other shooters I described in my above post.. I woke up in a cold sweat.. "Thank GOD.. it was just a bad dream"...I thought to myself.. Then this question came up.. I didn't have to think back far.. just a few hours before while I was sleeping.. I'm still tormented by that dream.. hopefully not an omen of things to come.. I can deal with hurricanes.. and flooding.. Destruction of your trapshooting game can be more painful than many things in life to one who loves shooting.. If a tow truck move the car of these people 3 spaces down from where they parked.. they'd not find it till Christmas.. Slow????? I don't know how they survive.. figuring out what to eat could take hours.. maybe days.. It's a miracle they don't starve to death.. Ok.. maybe by noon I'll be over it.. Anyway.. I love you guys.. Your kindness and understanding has been most helpful in life and bad times.. I hope I've been of help and inspiration to those who know me..I always have time for my friends.. and new friend..I don't ration my time with them.. ever... BUT the trapline.. especially registered targets..is the wrong place to break up a squads rythum.. Now.. if you put 5 of them on a squad..they can have a 2 hour round of 16 yard.. Hope they can finish by then... Neil.. is there a rule on how much time a shooter has???? If not.. there should be.. Bunker is 15 seconds..if my memory is correct.. All Good.. Mike

15. recurvyarcher

And let's not forget the imaginary snot that gets wiped off the nose and slung to the ground each time before the mount. Strangest damn thing I've ever seen.

16. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Rhythm is just another way to blame somebody else for your failure.

jim brown

17. Blaserboy94

Blaserboy94 TS Member

Ray lee is definitely the slowest

Nate

18. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Well since it was asked, while I like to shoot as fast as anybody, when I have looked at a 4 squad wait for the next trap I see NO reason on earth to rush thru a trap so we can be the fifth squad on deck!

So I have been known as the GUY that shot so slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww that 2 of the squads got thru before we shot our one

But that is just situational slowness, as I prefer to shoot fast it is just that I see no point in haveing all that time cooling my heels to brude on how well or bad I have just shot! it helps nothing at all and can make good bad or bad worse!

And yes I have seen that more then I would like to!

Between A slow squad, that squad that had to have the trap reset, and then something braking, I have been on squad 26 with squad 21 walking off and joining the other three sqauds on deck on the second trap, while squad on is not even on post 3 of the second trap, that day I know I po'd 4 other shooters but when we finally walked off trap 2 and there was still a 4 squad wait for three and I HAD made sure that TWO squads had gone thru trap 2 before I allowed the squad to finsih trap 1.

My answer to "YOU HAVE TO SHOOT FASTER!!!" was

"you know if we wait here and not just shoot slow enough! management will put us on a bank that we can shoot a reasonable pace and NOT have to wait an HOUR OR MORE between traps"

The response "We just want to shoot and get this over with!"

Well post 1 is a good post and before I walked out for that third trap management came and got us, put us back on trap 1 of that bank and had us and the 4 squads behind us finish out by shooting traps 1 and 2 of that bank.

Then I shot faster then anyone on the squad wanted to! but heck we WHERE going to get done!

Al

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'm not talking about lightning fast.. there's no need for that much hurry.. but there is a huge difference between..not rushed.. and just damn slow.. for the dumbest of reasons.. The best of my shooting came after a very short talk with Leo.. His words were few and simple.. SEE the target.. take that extra few milli seconds to MAKE IT RIGHT.. Now.. if everyone too a FULL extra second from their usual shooting.. That's 125 seconds.. or a little more than 2 minutes a round.. The rest is BS.. Let assume each shooter takes 30 seconds from the time the first shot is fired to shoot his.. That's over 1 hour per round.. That's 2 long to stand in the sun.. Maybe in 95 degree heat.. It's no longer a game of skill.. It's last man standing.. 15 seconds seems quite long enough..

20. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

My two boys shot on a squad once where a kid took about 8-10 seconds to call for the bird after shouldering the gun. Once the gun was comfortable on the shoulder, they must of had a saying, poem, song, nap,..... they went through in their head because the time duration was very exact from the time the gun was comfortable. They were shooting 50 and it seemed like it took FOREVER. Didn't bother my boys, but was a real pain to watch. Bang, bang, bang,..................bang, bang.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.