1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is the 1911 expert here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by turmite, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turmite

turmite Member

I have read in the past threads about the 1911, and customizing them. I cannot remember the gentleman's name nor can I find the thread through search.

Who is it that customizes the 1911?

Mike

2. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Perazzi Big Bore.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Maybe user name "ccw1911"? You should check out the 1911 Forum. Link above. Just my 2c worth.

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

ccw 1911 is a custom builder of 1911's this is his livelihood. Jerry Weger, one of our posters has a 1911 that ccw1911 built for him which I have handled and is 2nd to none of the big names I have seen.

5. quartering

quartering Active Member

customization? like a 100 year commemorative stamp? have you seen the prices they're getting for those things? good luck with it

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

ccw 1911 my friend and mentor... one of the best alive... and a dear friend...

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Ross Carter is his name. check out some of his work on www.cartercustom.com

8. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Thanks for the kind words all.

Mike it's good to see you posting, I haven't been on here much lately, I pray you will be returning to good health the sooner the better.

Turmite if I can be of assistance you can reach me at the email above.

9. turmite

turmite Member

Thanks guys,

Mike I agree with Ross that it is good to see you posting, and thank you for you reply.

Ross my inital question is about a 1911 that a dear lady friend of mine wants to buy, and I have never heard of it. She says it is a Remington SR11. I have found the Ruger SR1911, but can find no reference to the Remington. Does it exist? If so, do you have any experience as to their quality out of the box and if there are immediate needs?

Mike

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Remington's new 1911 is called the 1911R1. I have no feedback on it though.
    [​IMG]

11. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

I'm a gunsmith specializing in 1911's and do a lot of custom work on them for over 30 years now. I've had a couple of the new Remington's in my shop and they are ok but nothing great. Frankly, I prefer the Springfield guns for a moderate priced carry gun. I have built a number of them into custom competition pistols. It's still tough to beat the "real deal" Colt 1911's. Well built and they keep a good re-sale value. Kimber is also very good and comes built all the way to competition level. The most accuracy is usually from a hand fitted custom gun.
    If you are interested in a full house custom .45 that will hold 2 inches @ 50 yards from a Ransom rest, send me a PM. It is a brand new gun I built, using a Fusion Pro Stainless frame, Colt NM 7790314 military "hard slide" and AMTU Match barrel, often considered the best slide and barrel combo you can get. It has 30 LPI checkering on the front strap and mainspring housing, beveled mag well, Hi Grip Ed Brown Beavertail grip safety, Ambi thumb safety, bullet proof extractor and firing pin. It has a Titainium hammer, Videki Trigger, (3 lbs), a one piece guide rod and a set of custom hand made Walnut checkered grips. The ejection port is lowered and faired, the slide milled flat on top, with french borders and seratted rear end,Novak dovetailed front sight blade, and is blued.
    The gun features two sets of sight systems, a BoMar adjustable, melted into the slide as well as a J-Point electronic dot rear sight that fits the BoMar BMC machining in the slide, and includes 4 eight round stainless steel magazines and a case. I can supply pictures on request. The price is $2200.00.

Steve

12. turmite

turmite Member

Thanks guys. Steve thank you for you experience with them. All I am trying to do at this time is advise a friend on whether or not this is a decent gun for the $$. I have owned a full out race gun and know the difference in performance. Wow was that thing fun. I digress.

This request for info is strictly that at the moment.

Mike

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've had the oppertunity to force feed one of the new R1's about 2000 rounds at someone elses expence. I can say that the accuracy was descent enough at 10 yards (seven shot 4" groups). The amazing part was I only had 4 FtF's and I know one of them was my fault for limp wristing the gun. It digested everything we could run through it. The local dealer sells them for less than $600 new, so they are a good value in a carry 1911.

ss

14. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I do 1911 work; for years built race guns and then spread out from there both up and down the scale. Looks like you've got some good leads and some good people to follow up on. If I can be of any help, please let me know - FWIW my backlog is about four months out as of today...

Jack

15. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I do 1911 work; for years built race guns and then spread out from there both up and down the scale. Looks like you've got some good leads and some good people to follow up on. If I can be of any help, please let me know - FWIW my backlog is about four months out as of today...

Jack

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Cue the Jaws theme music.

17. turmite

turmite Member

silverbullet am I bleeding? I didn't like the Jaws movie, well other than the end!

Ok I need another answer if all you fine folks can help. This lady friend of mine wants to purchase one of these for a relative and I informed her of being real careful to not do a straw purchase. She is wanting to do this as a gift. I suggest she go to a dealer close to where her relative lives, let the dealer know ahead of time what she wants to do, pay for the firearm, but not take possesion of it. Give a gift certificate and let the relative come in and to the paper work.

Will this work, and will this be legal?

Mike

18. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

In most states it is perfectly lawful to purchase a gun as a gift. The stipulation being that the recipient can lawfully posses the firearm.

I do like the idea of buying a gift certificate and let the person go do everything themselves though.

ss

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Turmite,

I don't know what the state laws are where the purchase will be made - in my state buying the gun and giving it as a gift is perfectly legal providing the person that receives the gift is legally qualified to own it. (age, mental health, US citizen ....)

My advice would be to make a call to your local District Attourney. They work for us so don't feel as if you are bothering them with your question about the law.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.