1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is paying attention???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hauser, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauser

Hauser Member

Several years ago our state association decided to give a Browning Citori away for shooters who participated in Fridays handicap at our state shoot. A random number between 0 and 9 was drawn and everyone that shot a score ending in that number shot-off for the gun.

The goal was to increase attendance and attract more shooters for Fridays events. After 3 or 4 years it became apparent the gun giveaway was not attracting more shooters and the program was dropped.

My question is, who is looking at the effect the additional trophies/medallions and new categories the ATA has added on attendance and what are the results???

Jerry Hauser

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jerry, there are extenuating circumstances. Shooting is down everywhere, our club is off about 40 per cent.

So you can't look at the numbers. I think the Grand had a great turnout if you consider the economic hardships we face today. 4 dollar gas and 40 dollar shot make it a tough decision.

HM

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Hauser, How do you know that the gun shootoff didn't increase attendance? How do you know what attendance would have been without it? If you didn't decline on Fri. then I would say that it helped.....Times are tough, attendance is down at nearly every shoot.

4. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I couldn't believe that anyone seriously enters the Grand in hopes of getting a medallion. They seem to be an metal "attaboy" to more experienced shooters, likely quite a few are never picked up. My opinion on them was, wasted money on a crap trophy...Until last Saturday when I went in to pick up my Grand trophy. A young fellow and his parents were in the line in front of me as the boy picked up his medallion. The kid could not take his eyes off of it as he walked out, his folks beamed following behind. I don't know what he won, maybe it was Jr C Class 3rd, who knows. But it made his week, and maybe they will be back next year.

A lot of us old dogs grew up fighting for every trophy because they were few and rare. When I was a pup in the '70's that darn Leo Harrison III beat me out of lots of Jr. State shoot trophies. Back then they gave out one, winner only and it was open class. So those of us who grew up like that are a bunch of hard eggs, probably too hard. But it was sure special when you did win one, and I guess maybe it still is now for these kids, even if there are more given out.

But back to the orignal question. I believe someone is paying attention, and that may be why the extra categories were added, and remain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.