1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is not going - and WHY?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dverna, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

Work is keeping me from attending the Grand.

I hate the drive to the place and the fact it is the middle of nowhere.

I REALLY hate the heat and humidity; and those Gosh Darn sweat bees.

I like seeing the vendors and visiting their air conditioned buildings.

I like buying my shells on site instead of the freaking Wal-Mart (support our vendors!!!).

I like have a locker room to keep my guns at.

I wish I was there now pre-squadding with my buddies. Those lucky bastards.

Don Verna

2. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Don, I can't go either because of the arthritis/gout and it sucks. Next year, eh?

3. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Don, pretty much what you said except the WORK part, (retired)
    I've been to the last three down there, just sort of taking a break this year, besides, I don't need a new gun, don't need one serviced, don't need any new shooting gear and don't need to worry about what to do with that 100 grand.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

We'll miss you guys.

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Not going because it is 1/2 way across the U.S. from where I live and have to work for a living...

Maybe someday when I retire.

6. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm not going this year, too wuch work going on this week, next week and the week of the 16th.

I have been to Sparta the first 4 years and enjoy the facility. It was hot in Vandalia also.

Don

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Poor health is keeping me home. I don't like getting that far from my doctors.
    I do like Sparta and all the people connected with it.

Ed Yanchok

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My creaky back will not enable me to drive that far. I will be headed to Dayton and take my young son to the Air Force museum then head back to Marengo.Even that trip will test my stamina a bit, but wife needs a few targets, is willing to drive, so off we go!!

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Mike,

Let's hope they do the $100k shoot off again. We have a whole year to sandbag our way down to the 20 yard line.

It was good to see your at the club. Let's hope the meds work and you can get back shooting this fall.

Don

10. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Just finished Summer semester yesterday and just wrote the check for fall tuition.. FOR ME!!! Ouch!!! Money is a little tight this year and we only have time for only one real family vacation with my school and my daughters travel ball schedule. The wife said she was fine with camping at Cardinal. Could not talk her into St. Louis. Hopefully I'll get to Sparta once before they shut it down.

Jeff

11. dhip

dhip Active Member

First year shooting,don't feel I'm good enough to go to such a shoot.Retired drive school bus to get me up in the morning,maybe when I get better,and shoot a better gun than my sporting clay edition,I'll feel qualified to go.Money can be an issue at this time of year,so,I'll have to save for it if I think I'll be going anytime soon.

Doug H.

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

It,s still in Illinois right . I do love to shoot registerd but never did like the crowds . Give me a small 10 squad sunday any day would be much better . A seven hour drive to shoot 30 dollar targets don,t sound like fun to me .

ALF

13. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I shoot trap simply because it's convenient for me, 10 minutes drive on Sunday morning.

Going half way across the country to a hot and humid place where no worth looking Bikinis to see is not exactly what I have in mind for summer. :)

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I'm going to pass on the Grand this year..............I think.......

The reason..........I've been spending money like a drunken sailor this year and I have decided to slow it down a little bit for the rest of the year.

Or at least try.....lol

Hauxfan!

15. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Steve, I didn't take this picture so I can't say for sure, but I think that looks like one of the lakes at Sparta in the background.

Yes, I believe it is.

rickn_2008_170921.jpg

16. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Sounds like money, work, and health/aging are the dominant issues so far.

If I can't go, it'll be because the doctor tells me that I can't travel yet. Chalk another up to health. I'll know tomorrow.

17. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

The economy---I have better places to put $5000.00---My friends can't afford it either----Just telling it like it is---sjb---

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I'd go, but I just can't figure out should I use 8's or 7 l/2's??? Just not sure. Best of Luck to all that go!!! Maybe someone can record the shoot-off's and post them on U-tube or someplace!!! I'm sure there would be alot of gratefull shooters, myself included. Break-em all. Jeff

19. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

What Steve W said, although with that bikin clad gal above, my mind could be changed.

Marcello wants to get set up with some vendor there already with a booth so we can sell our Perazzi parts. Maybe next year (if there is A/C).

I can easily stay here and enjoy the high heat and humidity.

Whiz

20. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

In 2000 we were on one leg of the Great Loop on our trawler. Left Alton,Il. & headed south down the Mississippi, the temp & the amount of nothingness made me determined to never go back to that region again. With a 2000 mile round trip from NC & no really good restaurants & lodging, I'm going to the Cardinal. Life is too short to rough it & if you need first class medical attention I sure wouldn't want to be in Sparta. I'm not a good shooter, but I've always believed in going first class & if I've could afford it I saved & went first class later.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.