1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is NOT an NRA Member???????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OldGoat, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

After reading many alarms re: the coming attacks on gun ownership (see several threads on this forum), perhaps those who are not NRA members should consider that the NRA is the most powerful voice legitimate gunowners have. Just a concerned trapshooter voicing another alarm. I have been an NRA Life Member since the mid 1960s. Best Regards, Ed

2. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I'm a member Old Goat, but what you are asking is akin to asking "Who voted for Obama?" Nobody wants to own up to it. J.Woolsey

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

At least one posted they are not on the other thread. I won't name anybody as that's not my game to shame others. Hopefully their own guilt will change their views.

Matt(annual)

4. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I am not a member anymore. Had words with them when some of my guns were taken by local police, NRA was no help getting them back. I wont bad mouth them, and I do attend Friends of NRA banquets every few years. BUT I wont rejoin.

Jerry Lewis

5. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

As long as your at it, why don't you ask what color underwear we wear and when we have sex with our wives/sweethearts/animals? It's really none of your business...

6. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I would love to hear what you have to say when the anti's take your guns. Either you join the fight to keep the guns or you are the enemy.
    auctioneer_2009_050716.jpg

8. OldGoat

My intent was not to ask or pry into personal issues...and I didn't really expect to get "flamed". My only intent was/is to possibly give non-NRA members a moment to pause and consider the value of NRA membership in the forthcoming storms on gun ownership. Don't kid yourselves...the current administration - sooner and not later - will seek to severely restrict if not eliminate private gunownership...trap guns included. Ask our shotgun shooting friends in Canada, Australia, or England how it works in these countries. Think it can't happen here? Stand by. Best Regards, Ed

9. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Old Goat please don't take what I said as "Flaming" It was not said in that context. J.W.

10. dhip

dhip Active Member

NOT,,,Was//Got tired of the begging for money///Same as BASS for my fishing always wanting more money///If the UNion bashers belong to the NRA,why not a UNION,,same scenario..I was union and proud of it but find it amuzing that union bashers will join an organazation like NRA not knowing that it's run the same way.The head honchos get paid and what they actually do is a small percentage of money gotten by donations.You'd probably be surprised by some of the company the head honchos snuggle up to.I know,,some will think my reasoning as to being a former union member ,what's the difference in me joining an organazation like NRA,,If I remember right,I had a vote for who runs the union,,I could be wrong,but I don't ever remember getting a ballot for the NRA.You know it's who you KNOW who gets positions like that.

Well that said,I can't wait to read the thread after this,,lol

Doug H.

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I too had issues with the NRA bothering me for more money. I donated a fairly large amount one year. After that it was a feeding frenzy. Every week they sent something or left a message on my phone, asking for more money. I finally sent a strong worded email, and quit giving for 3 years.

I wouldn't campare the NRA to a Union. The NRA has nothing to do with my monitary livelyhood.

I realize the NRA has limited methods to get funds, but their tactics are an issue sometimes. I wonder what they spend on useless mailings.

12. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Deeply saddened to report that I am no longer a member. I did not renew in December after 48 years in the NRA and 20 years of NRA-ILA giving. I even put up with the hounding for more and more money.

I am still a 20 year member of Safari Club International and about 8 years in the GOA. So, I still support gun-rights groups. The NRA is not the only game in town, regardless of how much they say they do.

The reason is clear, at least to me. I spent two years sending e-mails and letters, even one Registered to LaPierre, regarding the NRA supporting Democrats that support Obama and anti-gun Supreme Court Justices. Both Sotomayor and Kagan will come back to haunt the 2ND Amendment.

The NRA supported 64 Democrat's for election in 2010, including Harry Reid (finally, defacto, but initially openly). It took 58 of those Democrats to put Sotomayor and Kagan on the Court. That's enough for me to part company with the likes of the current NRA elitists. Controversy is just too good for their personal money trains.

Get rid of Wayne and his court, and I will rejoin in an instant. Until then, my money and my conscience go to Safari Club and the GOA.

R. Kipling

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If I give money, it will be to a particular candidate. Not a special interest group of any kind. It is all about the money. Why line the pockets of the special interest group, when you can send it to the politician that could be elected, stating those same views. After all politicians are taking your guns away. Dhip, I thought the same thing about this and the other thread. Kind of contradicting. What if you do not vote down party lines? What if you are an independent? What if you do not believe that your guns will be taken from you in your lifetime? By saying all shooters should have to join the NRA is a totally political statement. You are alienating a lot of shooters that contribute to this and all shooting sports. The shooters are the backbone of the shooting sports, not the political special interest groups. As the famous, and both I and the NRA think, radical, Ted Nuggent says "Don't tread on me"! Jon

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

R. Kipling,

That is another point. Why is it that all Dems or liberals are going to take your guns and all weapons away? Why is it thought that all Reps, or conservatives want you to have any and all weapons you desire? Why is it ALL political views are categorized, instead of individual. That is the problem with our political system. Being pressured to vote down party lines. Even your heralded NRA supposedly supported those candidates because they did not think they were a threat to guns. Would like to see where you read, with quotes, that information. Not being cynical. Just like to decipher information myself. Jon

15. OldGoat

Actually, these comments are genuinely appreciated. Yeah, I get turned off sometimes by the solicitations for donations by the NRA and ILA, wondering how many re$ource$ are being $pent on this effort. That said, political leaders recognize the importance of NRA support and I can't help but wonder what would happen to gun owner rights if the NRA's presence was severely diminished or disappeared from the scene due to lack of support from the members. Seems like many organizations...unions, churches, businesses, or shooting clubs like the ATA...suffer from criticisms of the members from time-to-time whether justified or not. Best Regards, Ed

16. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Fyln,

First, I don't believe that all Democrat's are anti-gunners, I never said that. What I said was that 58 of them are intentionally duplistic. There were 4 Democrats that proved their metal. The word 'all' is your own over-generalized assumption. I strive to retain a much more pragmatic view.

Anyone willing to void the constitution, by other than a full national vote, to get their own brand of avarice enforced is not to be trusted. Liberals are well-trained, and skilled in the deceptive arts of Alinsky (Rules for Radicals) and Gramsci (The Quiet Revolution). i.e. say one thing, and then do another...usually the exact opposite of their words.

http://www.ucis.pitt.edu/euce/visitors/pdf/AntonioGramsci.pdf

http://sleepless.blogs.com/george/2009/08/alinskys-rules-for-radicals-for-dummies.html

If you still have your November 2010 American Rifleman you have the nucleus of the documented proof you are looking for. Next, go to the Library of Congress, Thomas website (provided) and look up the Nomination votes of the NRA supported Democrats. 'Thomas' is your friend.

I am far from a one-issue voter. I like, no, I love our Constitution. I know all too well about the "Forgotten Man Principle" of politics, and I always keep Ben Franklin's analogy of democracy in-view of everything political I see. "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding on what to have for dinner.......Freedom is a well-armed Lamb." I would add that today the Lamb also needs to be well informed with the facts, as well as an analytical mind.

For the record, it's not 'my' heralded NRA, any more - if it ever was. I stay informed, participate and contribute to those causes and people that I believe in, and have personally vetted to my own satisfaction. Again, "...the NRA supported those candidates because they didn't think they were a threat to guns.." - your words. That doesn't mean that there 'is no threat', just these Democrat's weren't thought to be a threat. And, the NRA was wrong - damn!

When I made my decision to leave the NRA, it wasn't easy and it wasn't until I had made my bid to the establishment - and, most importantly reviewed the full records of the Democrats the NRA was endorsing. I wasn't disappointed with the Democrats in seeing their SCOTUS votes. I fully expected their betrayal. I was bitterly disappointed with the NRA executives for their Pollyanna ignorance, at best. And/or their willing deceit of the membership, at worst.

Whatever the causes one attributes to these events, the effect is a dangerously weakened SCOTUS and a White House filled with posers and deceitful-not intelligent, greedy self-promoters.

I am cynical - and getting more cynical every day. But, one doesn't have to be cynical to view the events of the last two or four years to see that there is a new and insidious brand of hypocrisy controlling the beltway.

The 'Bush Bailout" was concocted by a Democrat House and Senate with a Democrat Sec. Of Treasury - look it up. George's constant mistake was to believe that he could include 'all' the people, when all along some of the people were working to destroy him. The analysis only gets worse from there.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

Don't be fooled by words, watch the actions and most importantly the results of those actions in deciding what is and what will be your future. There are a lot of very good people working diligently behind the scenes to insure that you can continue to believe that your rights [guns included] won't be taken away in your life time.

"don't tread on me" is the watchwords of the Tea Party movement (Taxed Enough Already party), that have taken up the 2nd Amendment, in-part, to ensure taxes stay affordable for you. And, your Rights preserved with or without your direct involvement.

In the end, all stress is self-induced. If you don't agree with this movement, or that one, don't get involved. You'll enjoy, or suffer the consequences either way - it's your decision.

IMHO,
    Kip

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The question that needs to be asked is not <i>"Who is NOT an NRA Member???????"</i> but rather <i>"What are the reasons some gun owners won't join the NRA?"</i>

It does no good to harangue non-members into joining, and often has the opposite effect because insulting people is a piss poor way to convince anyone of anything.

So, let's examine some of the reasons and objections potential NRA members have.

(1) There will always be people who let others do the work for them. Perhaps some are indeed lazy. Or they don't care. Or they don't want to get involved. This isn't just something restricted to gun owners. Look how many never vote or even register to vote. There's probably not much that can be done with this group, but calling them names will never convince them to do anything.

(2) Political ideology. Many liberal gun owners won't support the NRA because generally the NRA supports conservatives, because typically conservatives tend to support the Second Amendment more than liberals. Of course, now that the NRA has supported Reid and a bunch of others liberals for congress, they can't complain about this anymore. BTW, this also includes some union members, who vote however their union tells them to.

(3) Political betrayal. By supporting liberals, the NRA has invited a very real backlash from those who feel this is a huge mistake. Some of these liberals were indeed notorious anti-gunners, and no amount of one vote bribery for NRA pet projects is going to change their true voting pattern. While a few of these liberals may not vote directly for anti-gun legislation, they'll still toe the party line when it comes to supporting anti-gun agency, supreme court and other nominees who will work to dismantle Second Amendment rights.

(4) Betrayal of fellow gun owners. There is still a lot of anger and resentment over FOPA'86, the NRA's precious baby, that denied new guns for a large group of collectors, sending prices soaring astronomically to the point where the average gun owner can not afford one. The NRA did not care, because they never supported anything but "sporting" firearms. The NRA's attitude on FOPA'86 started a shark feeding frenzy that it was OK to go after "non-sporting" firearms, resulting in the '89 and '94 bans, the attempted renewal in '04, and the current ridiculous shotgun paper just released. The NRA lost a lot of hard core friends over this, many of whom support the GOA and others instead.

(5) Failure to effectively use the carrot and stick approach on politicians. The NRA politician ratings are a friggin' joke. They are not believable. Not when the NRA does crap like take an F-rated notorious anti-gunner and artificially elevate him to a B rating. Many no longer consider the NRA to be relevant in this respect and they instead use the GOA's ratings. This causes the NRA to lose credibility, and invites closer scrutiny of their other positions and doings. Supporting Reid and monkeying with ratings has caused damage, and make no mistake, some quit the NRA because of this.

(6) Joining ranks with anti-gunners and others whose positions are detrimental to gun owners. One of the latest examples was the NRA opposing concealed carry in National Parks. The NRA only reversed course and supported it at the last minute when it was evident that the GOA, who championed the cause, had the muscle to bring this near the goal post. Yet many NRA members are ignorant about this because they put all of their eggs in one basket - the NRA. This also invites closer scrutiny and criticism of the NRA by others.

(7) Some are tired of getting no local support from the NRA, but when their grassroots movements, sometimes with GOA backing, come to fruition, the NRA steps in at the last minute and claims victory. This angers some who feel the NRA is racking up undeserved victories.

(8) Failure to try to overturn bad gun laws. This has ticked off a lot of potential members, who feel the NRA wants status quo when it comes gun laws. They feel the NRA wants crisis and won't become more effective because that's counterproductive for income. They feel the NRA is really just another business that simply uses gun rights as a vehicle to make money. Their 'proof' is that the NRA compromises too much, supports our enemies, and won't get rid of bad gun laws and indeed states they support existing gun laws. Some have complained that the NRA had a less than stellar performance in the Heller case and almost derailed it.

(9) NRA leadership. Wayne LaPierre. Many see all the faults of the NRA wrapped up in this one man, and won't join until he's out of the picture. Charlton Heston who saw nothing wrong with banning the AK-47 and spoke up for ballistic fingerprinting more than once. NRA board member Joaquin Jackson who wants 'assault weapons' banned and has advocated a five round magazine limit (there is video of Jackson actually saying this on YouTube). Many gun owners simply do not trust the NRA because of clowns like these.

Until the above points get addressed, you're not going to shame anyone into joining the NRA. Because you have not addressed the root cause of the problem. And that's the problem with NRA members. They join and send their money and then never question anything the NRA does. And even assail anyone who does. This is counterproductive to increasing membership, and goes a long ways towards explaining why the NRA can't effectively expand.

Sadly, I predict what I just wrote will simply result in a lot of angry rebuttal that will wind up turning more people off and won't convince anyone to join.

18. JH

JH Well-Known Member

HERE WE GO!

Hi Brian!

What is the total number of GOA members? Millions, I bet. Very influential group, no doubt. DON'T THINK SO!

Divide and conquer is an anti-gun strategy. Are you unwittingly aiding and abetting the anti-gunners? THINK SO!

Have you been shooting your "black guns" lately? Thank the NRA!

Best regards!

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Exactly as I predicted. That does not address the issues many have with the NRA. In effect, you are saying those objections are immaterial and to STFU and join. Sadly, that will not get people to join or rejoin. Your method is to call them anti-gunners. Well, good luck with that strategy. It hasn't been successful so far.

20. AHC

AHC TS Member

I am not a current member of the NRA. I was when I lived in the states but now I'm back in Canada. Personally I don't mind our system. I don't think it is effective and it certainly is a waste of money but I did enjoy the safety course. And I think that our laws are less restrictive all in all than California where I lived for several years. That being said I wish we had a better pro gun lobby here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.