1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is Mitt Romney?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by crusha, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

This column was originally featured on CongressDaily/AM on July 9, 2012.

-by Charlie Cook of the Cook Political Report

---------------------------------------------------------

If President Obama’s campaign machine can define Mitt Romney before his own campaign even tries, my bet is Obama wins reelection.

It seems the Romney campaign believes that any day or dollar spent talking about anything other than the economy is a day or dollar wasted. Unquestionably, the economy’s state and direction, as well as voters’ perceptions on Obama’s handling of it—are important. Obama’s approval ratings on the subject are awful. According to the June NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, 42 percent of voters approve of the way Obama has handled the economy, while 53 percent disapprove. Additionally, just 31 percent think the country is headed in the right direction; and 61 percent believe it is on the wrong track. Voters seem quite willing to fire Obama as a result.

A willingness to fire the president, however, is only one step. Voters also have to be willing to hire Romney. If the challenger is deemed unacceptable, a potentially decisive slice of the electorate could reluctantly return to the incumbent. Voters’ willingness to hire Romney is being severely damaged, at least in swing states, by the advertising efforts of the Obama campaign and Priorities USA, a pro-Obama super PAC. The ads are devastatingly tough, portraying the former Massachusetts governor as a private-equity version of Gordon Gekko, a heartless corporate barracuda who has made a fortune acquiring and looting companies, laying off workers, and ruining lives and communities. That’s the story line, anyway. These ads lead to the conclusion that Romney is not to be trusted in the Oval Office.

Romney’s tenure running Bain Capital, layoffs, outsourcing, and now his personal finances give Democrats plenty of great fodder. If you live in or visit a swing state and turn on a television set, you will be deluged by these ads. Maybe they are accurate and fair, maybe they aren’t. Regardless, they are hard-hitting and running with great frequency.

What makes the ads effective is that voters know next to nothing about Romney, other than that he is a rich and successful businessman, and perhaps that he is a Mormon. Being quite rich and successful means—and focus groups I’ve watched support the notion—that more than a few voters may be willing to stipulate that Romney is a smart guy and probably knows a lot about the economy. But nothing the Romney campaign has said would give voters a reason to believe that he can be trusted or that Oval Office decisions in a Romney White House would be based on the same values that they want their president to have. The Obama campaign and Priorities USA are more than willing to fill in the blanks.

A pretty good case can be made that the daily headlines about depressing economic news and a tough job market—whether for 50-year-olds who lost jobs or college grads trying to get a start—drive the economic issue far better and more effectively than anything the Romney campaign can possibly do.

The only ad that has attempted to connect Romney with voters in a way that portrays him as a three-dimensional human being wasn’t even put out by his campaign. The pro-Romney super PAC Restore Our Future has run “Saved,” which features Romney’s former Bain Capital partner Robert Gay telling the story of his teenage daughter who was missing in New York City in 1996. As soon as Romney heard about the missing girl, he shut down Bain’s offices in Boston so that virtually the entire staff could hustle down to New York. Romney set up a search headquarters at the LaGuardia Marriott and even enlisted Bain accountants and lawyers to help distribute flyers and get the word out about the missing girl. A tip line received an anonymous call that was traced to a phone in New Jersey where the girl was found, safe. It’s a moving story and TV spot, but that’s the sum total of paid advertising that could help inoculate Romney from withering attacks. Worse yet for the candidate, Restore Our Future hasn’t run the spot since May 17.

Romney won the GOP nomination on a very tactical level. He out-fundraised, out-organized, and outmaneuvered his rivals. But even then, his story was never told. All the messaging seemed to be oriented toward selling him as the most conservative person on the planet. Now it’s just about the economy, not about him. Every week, usually on Friday, the Romney campaign launches a new ad, but these never sell him.

In the old days of politics, one of the first stages of campaign advertising was to introduce the candidate to the voters, to build the candidate up as someone worthy of the responsibilities of the job, and to create a real connection between the voters and the candidate. It’s hard to find the kind of advertising these days that makes someone say to themselves, “Wow, what an impressive person. We would be lucky to have them as our leader!” One campaign that did was Obama’s in 2008. Four years ago, Obama connected with voters on a personal level, and he won. Sure, voters were in the mood for change, the economy was awful, and Obama had more money. But he did connect on a personal level.

It isn’t clear when the Romney campaign plans to introduce its candidate to the voters, to have his sons talk about their Dad, or to have Ann Romney talk about her husband. Maybe they plan to hold off until the convention. But if I were running, every day that undecided and independent voters in swing states were getting pounded with ads portraying me as an awful person, I’d think I would want some testimony to contradict it. I’d want to have someone telling those voters what kind of person I am and why I am worthy of their support. But what do I know?

2. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

A fair question Buzz, Who is this guy that is put as a 'candidate'? Is he even supposed to be allowed to win? Already there is a big question about his credibility. Not so good right out of the gate. His public record in Mass. will be examined as well. Will republican voters stand up to that?

Yes, Who is Mitt Romney...

Edit: The Obama campaign ran ads a short time ago and accused Romney of investing in firms that resulted in outsourcing jobs and increasing unemployment in the US. Romney claimed he was not responsible for his Bain vulture capital firm when this activity was taking place because he had left the company.

However, the Boston Globe revealed today (based on earlier stories in Talking Points Memo and Mother Jones):

Government documents filed by Mitt Romney and Bain Capital say Romney remained chief executive and chairman of the firm three years beyond the date he said he ceded control, even creating five new investment partnerships during that time.

Romney has said he left Bain in 1999 to lead the winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, ending his role in the company. But public Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) documents filed later by Bain Capital state he remained the firm's "sole stockholder, chairman of the board, chief executive officer, and president."

Whats up wit this??

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Mother Jones! OMFG...do yourself a favor, and repeat after me:

"Fox News is 100 times more credible than my sources"

"Fox News is 100 times more credible than my sources"

"Fox News...

4. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Ok Buzz, I will consider your request- however this IS being reported on many outlets not Mother Jones. Are they all getting it wrong? Or did he lie?

Remember the anecdote, the two people you should never lie to are your doctor and your lawyer? Well, did the RNC know about this? Or did they even care.

Or is Romney meant to be an un-winning offering in this WWF election?

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Who is Mitt Romney? Well, he's not a lying Muslim Communist who's
    hippie mother dumped him, and does not really know who his real father is/was.....

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

This is going to be a Trash election...., that is, who can trash the other the most.

Issues?.. 10%, maybe???

Seems to me, Herman Cain, love him or hate him, has been the only candidate that came out up front with a plan.

Regards....Gerald

7. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Tinman,

That story that you are concerned about isn't being reported on by different "news" sources, it's being regurgitated by the malignant press. They all site one source - the DNC via NYT.

I agree, it's difficult to know who or what to believe from what passes as journalism these days. Romney's late to the party tactics isn't helping to clear up the fog either. I have taken the tact that I will look only at actions - no more words - on every candidate.

I think that Romney's team is waiting for the right moments to unload on Zero and his thieves. That includes waiting until after he actually becomes the RNC nominee. Unusual and refreshingly humble in my mind. I have had enough arrogance from elitist officials to last me two more lifetimes.

If you want to know the best picture, read his web site. Afterward, do a Bing search on some of those key words and you'll get all the trash known to man on the issues. Then you can filter out the BS and make up your own mind.

The future of your country is worth the time and effort.

IMO,
    Kip

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Personal Information:

His full Name is: Willard Mitt Romney

He was Born: March 12, 1947 and is 65 years old.

His Father: George W. Romney, former Governor of the State of Michigan

He was raised in Bloomfield Hills , Michigan

He is Married to Ann Romney since 1969; they have five children.

Education:
    B.A. from Brigham Young University,

J.D. and M.B.A. from Harvard University

Religion:
    Mormon - The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints

Working Background:

After high school, he spent 30 months in France as a Mormon missionary.

After going to both Harvard Business School and Harvard Law School simultaneously, he passed the Michigan bar exam, but never worked as an attorney.

In 1984, he co-founded Bain Capital a private equity investment firm, one of the largest such firms in the United States .

In 1994, he ran for Senator of Massachusetts and lost to Ted Kennedy.

He was President and CEO of the 2002 Winter Olympic Games.

In 2002, he was elected Governor of the State of Massachusetts where he eliminated a 1.5 billion deficit.

Some Interesting Facts about Romney:

Bain Capital, starting with one small office supply store in Massachusetts, turned it into Staples; now over 2,000 stores employing 90,000 people.

Bain Capital also worked to perform the same kinds of business miracles again and again, with companies like Domino's, Sealy, Brookstone, Weather Channel, Burger King, Warner Music Group, Dollarama, Home Depot Supply, and many others.

He was an unpaid volunteer campaign worker for his dad's gubernatorial campaign 1 year.

He was an unpaid intern in his dad's governor's office for eight years.

He was an unpaid bishop and state president of his church for ten years.

He was an unpaid President of the Salt Lake Olympic Committee for three years.

He took no salary and was the unpaid Governor of Massachusetts for four years.

He gave his entire inheritance from his father to charity.

Mitt Romney is one of the wealthiest self-made men in our country but has given more back to its citizens in terms of money, service and time than most men.

And in 2011 Mitt Romney gave over $4 million to charity, almost 19% of his income.... Just for comparison purposes, Obama gave 1% and Joe Biden gave $300 or .0013%.

Mitt Romney is Trustworthy:

He will show us his birth certificate

He will show us his high school and college transcripts.

He will show us his social security card.

He will show us his law degree.

He will show us his draft notice.

He will show us his medical records.

He will show us his income tax records.

He will show us he has nothing to hide.

Mitt Romney's background, experience and trustworthiness show him to be a great leader and an excellent citizen for President of the United States.

You may think that Romney may not be the best representative the Republicans could have selected. At least I know what religion he is, and that he won't desecrate the flag, bow down to foreign powers, or practice fiscal irresponsibility. I know he has the ability to turn this financial debacle that the current regime has gotten us into. We won't like all the things necessary to recover from this debt, but someone with Romney's background can do it. But, on the minus side, He never was a "Community Organizer", never took drugs or smoked pot, never got drunk, did not associate with communists or terrorists, nor did he attend a church whose pastor called for God to damn the US.

9. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Hell, I think he'll make the best president we've had since Reagan although admittedly the competition is exceedingly weak.

10. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

There is a BIG difference between someone who starts a business that becomes successful than anyone who gets a job in a company.
    No where anywhere did Romney start a business or has ever run one.
    You stretch the truth,lie,when you or anyone says Romney started a business.
    He is another obama or rubio. If elected time will show you all who have touted him for president these last few months. Lee

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Slic.........Don't just talk about it....Show some creditable sources.

12. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

R Kipling, Thank you for a sensible post. I don't need to compare anyone to the current inhabitant of the former but now stained white house. That is a given. Only that it seems to make little difference how bad he is (Barry Soetoro)and still corners 49% of the vote. (according to those who modulate the voter wavelength)
    If the SEC timeline argument turns out to be false, it would be little surprise to me. Only more dis-information.

One could "unload" practically anything on O'sorry and it would not make a twiddle's bit of difference. Better try a new tactic, like being a strong candidate.

13. Ponytail in WI

Ponytail in WI TS Member

Buzz gun brings up a very credible point; Who Is Mitt Romney? Now all you haters of Obummer can spout your vile nonsense but you need to ask ourself how much different is Romney from the one we have now? Most of us that frequent this site know President Obama is NOT taken this country in the right direction, but neither did President Bush! Everything President Obama has done is contrary to a successful Presidency. This may be his lack of experience in business and part of it is his arrogance & unwillingness to listen to whats best for the country and not whats best for his party and or for him!

People that live in Mass, who know Romney arent running to the polls on this guy! The storys they tell on his policies arent a whole lot different than what we got now. Romney knows how business works. The question is will his policies create and bring back jobs for this country or will they continue to ship more jobs overseas while the stock market reaches all time highs?

I dont want a 62 point plan for this country. We need a 5 point plan with ways to create jobs and bring down the cost of energy and re-address the tax code. The old addage of simply less taxes and less regulatory environment has run its course and we know that didnt work on Bush II. Obama's course of spending monies to get out of debt hasn't worked either and yet these idiots in congress are going to allocate a 2nd TARP. Every Republican in congress needs to say NO and stop this spending nonsense. Driving up the national debt is NOT the correct way to run this economy and yet what is Mitt Romneys economic plan? More of the old same formula that didnt work under Bush? If Mitt Romneys people cant define Mitt Romney with exception he is a Conservative ( says who ) then Obama will win 40 states.

I ask all you readers with exception of gay marriage and Obamacare, tell me the MAJOR differences in policies between President Obama and Bush?? Gitmo is still open, were still in Afgh, Iraq and Libya, Bush Tax cuts are still in place, real unemployment is 10% ( but under Bush it was already spiking )Top 30 corporations still paying no corporate income tax, border is still open ended ( although Obama has deported more back to Mexico then Bush ) Eight hundred billion in TARP paid out but ( Lets be honest )President Bush had already iniatated the bailout of the Banks, AIG and Auto industry..Obummer got to do the work! The funny thing thing as we gun owners like to lash out at Obummer for gun control the firearm industry is at its all time high, nearly three times higher than under Bush! There are more millionares created under Obama than Bush?? I say to you all..TELL ME THE MAJOR DIFFERENCES in policy? I dont care about his religion, his school loans, his dad, his mom or his color, or if he lies ( politicians all lie ) or his aunt Jane is Kenyan!

Personally, I cant stand our President arrogance and unwillingness to listen to the likes of Gates, Pickens, Jobs, Buffet, Trump and others who know how to make an economy work, yet truthfully his policies arent a dimes difference than President Bush! And that is why we have seen so little movement in the economic recovery..UNCERTAINTY!!

I am a Reagan Republican and I look at what our last three Presidents with scorn and disgust! This is why NO one trusts politicians on either side the Isle. Democrat or Republican, I ask you who's interests are truly being served and will Mitt Romney be any different?

Rick

14. trap72

trap72 Member

One thing I do know, he lies a lot! Romney is a big liar!

Trap72

15. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

trap72, YOUR proof??

Is it from the same source's as the "felon" and "off shore" labeling??

16. oz

oz Active Member

who is bubba (above the law) odumanure????? don't know!!!! records sealed!!!!

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I noticed he is the same age as me but,---------no Vietnam, no military service at all? Where was Mitt when I, and all of us born after the 2nd WW were slogging in the jungle? Was he just lucky or maybe played the same game Billy Clinton did? A fair question? Maybe he slogged his way through France????

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Amen Ponytail (Rick)!!!!!!! That is exactly what the Independents see, hear, read, and feel. That was the best non-bias, and intelligent, post ever put up in this section, if it was in the political section where it should be. I could not have said it better. Frankly, I am surprised you have not received ridicule. Lord knows I sure would have, with all of the yahoo's name calling, and insinuations. Jon

Why won't Mitt release his tax returns from the time in question? What is he hiding? Will it answer TinMan88's question? What do you think the Independents are thinking? What about undecided voters?

19. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Well, I for one don't understand the problem.

Seems to me you have a choice of choosing between the bad and the worse.

If you independents don 't side with a party to pick the right candidates during the primaries, then why are giving us that do, all the grief?

How about a little help out there, or are you just too lazy to do a little work?

20. Ponytail in WI

Ponytail in WI TS Member

RICK, YOUR RIGHT..LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.