1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is Mike Hampton?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by minnship8, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I didn't want to sidetrack or hijack another thread, but...

I keep reading comments about how Mike Hampton has this enormous power over the ATA exec committee and such. Yet, I can't find any record of him on any ATA committees.

Honest question, not pot stirring...for a newbie like me, please tell me who Mike Hampton is and how he holds such power?

Thanks,

Chip

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

History starts with the NSCA and the Home Grounds in Tx...

Jay

3. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Mike was involved with trap shooting long before he was hired by the nssa

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

As far as his misterious power is concerned, don't believe everything you read here if you do you won't be shooting to long.

Bob Lawless

5. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

How did the Hamptons come to head US clay target sports? One over ATA; other over NSSA and NSCA?

6. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

Mike had a gun club in Southern Il. He also won the Doubles Championship at the Grand , a number of years back and he is one hell of a shooter in pistol, rifle, shotgun, be it sporting clays, trap, skeet. He guided the National Skeet Assc. from near bankruptcy in 1989 to where the National Shooting Complex Is today. a All around great place to shoot. Thanks to Mike Hampton. Bob Roberts

7. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mike was Hal DuPont's hand picked lackey.

8. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Please, I'm a newbie, so EuroJoe, I need the whole picture painted for me...who is Hal DuPont?

Thanks,

Chip

9. EuroJoe

Hal DuPont bought Europa Corp and became the Krieghoff Distributor. As he owned the rights to the Krieghoff name in the USA, Krieghoff had to refer to the gun as a K-80, shotguns of Ulm. Years later, a deal was struck so Dieter could use his own name.
    NSSA approached Hal to take over the assoc. and Hal picked Mike to do the job. He realized that he had a functioning assoc, and took it into the sporting clay business, leading to the eventual demise of the USSCA.
    Mike is a very competent guy, the ATA will have to draw their own conclusions.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

very nice, Pat, as I recall, 7 figures...

11. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

7 figs would be a million plus or are you counting both sides of the decimal point?

12. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Mike Hampton Sr. began his shooting career in Missouri in the 1960's. He was the American Grand doubles champion in the early 1970's. He has been a superb competitor in all aspects of the shooting sports. He has two brothers,(one is deceased,) who have both been state trap champions. Last August he was the director of the American Grand, a very successful tournament. Say what you will, Mike Hampton Sr. is imminently qualified for any managerial position in the field of shooting sports. Jack Farrow

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

OK...someone's holding back. Why the negative carma about this guy?

I wouldn't know him if I ran into him.

14. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I don't know Mr. Hampton! But in my 30 plus years with the ATA if he is not a yes man, his days are numbered! Just ask Frank Riverly

15. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson Member

If the ATA was the land of OZ which isn't as much of a stretch as you might think. Mike would be the guy behind the curtain.

Jim

16. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I shot trap with Mike and Ronnie and always found them to be alright. Their Father was a Doctor so they had money to shoot. To me their little bother was a spoiled brat. I would not shoot with him. I shot with Ronnie at the Illinois state shoot when the wind was blowing a gale and he was the only 200 that day.

Dave

17. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Jr was given the post at NSSA where FAR more qualified candidates applied. Everyone knew who was going to get it before the lame excuse of a open job was announced. Dupont still pulls the purse strings and runs the show....

Sr did walk away with a retirement package well in excess of 1 million.....guess who got that approved?

Kind of sticks in ones gut when you realize you are funding this BS every tourney you go to.

18. Nutso

Nutso Member

He is the guy who ran skeet into the ground.

19. EuroJoe

Nutso: Skeet was "in the ground" before Hanpton took over. I don't know anything about Skeet today,I think Mike focused most of his attention on NSCA, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the NSSA. As to his retirement plan, I have no idea, but a 6 figure salary and a house wasn't a bad deal! My major complaint was that it always seemed to me that they were running a gun club rather than an association in San Antonio

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Shrewd businessman. Great public speaker. Successful. Great shot, at about any clay or feathered sport. Expert promoter. Flinches. Lot's folks jealous of his success. Lot's of nefarious stories about him...........no proof.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
2016 grand american trap shoot mike hampton
did michael hampton compete in trap

mike hampton ata shooter

mike hampton skeet shooting
mike hampton texas trap shooter
mike hampton trap shooting