1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is Leo?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Lambert, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Lambert

Jim Lambert Member

Looking at purchasing a Bt-99 described as LEO SPECIAL. Who is Leo and what makes this gun Special? Thanx in advance...Buck

2. Jim Lambert

Jim Lambert Member

And he made this gun, shoots one of these guns, owned this gun???
    Seriously, Did he ever shoot this type of gun or just sell his name to put on it? Just looking for the history...

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

There was a gun dealer named Leo-something from western Pennsylvania who had special-run Browning trap guns made to his specifications and they were referred to as "Leo specials." Leo passed away several years ago but some of those guns were pretty unique and limited in number.

Ed

4. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I seem to remember some bt-99 Leo specials at the Vandalia Grand. I think he was a gun dealer that had some special runs made for his stores. A friend of mine has one I believe. If memory serves I believe Leo has passed away. I think I am right (or close), I bet someone better aquainted will have the whole story but I don't think it has anything to do with Leo Harrison III.
    Colonel

5. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Leo's was a gun shop in Library, PA. He has passed away. When the Grand was at Vandalia, his shop was located in one of the metal buildings just east of the last row of metal buildings on the grounds (adjacent to the practice traps). He had Browning manufacturer the old style (low rib, flat beavertail forearms) BT-99's for sale inclusive of the Grade III's. The reason they called these guns old styles was at that time the BT-99 had the higher rib and larger forearm (originated as the "handicap" and subsequent "competition" models). To my knowlege, this Leo had nothing to do with Leo Harrison. BT-100dc

6. Jim Lambert

Jim Lambert Member

Does anyone recall Leo's last name?

7. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I have one made in 1988. I use it a lot & love it. It has a 32" barrel.....has anyone ever seen a Leo's Special with a 34" barrel? It's really a nicer gun than the pigeon grade of that era because the Leo's have gold birds & is signed by the engraver, at least mine is.

8. 7571

7571 Well-Known Member

His name was Leo Cerar. He has since passed on, several years ago. He had a gun store in Library, PA. He had Browning make several runs of BT99's and BT100's. All were very nicely done with fine engraving and fancy wood, some had gold inlays.

He was also one very nice human being. He is sorely missed.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I wonder if he had a "trapwife"

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I believe his "specials" started as Pigeons and then had additional engraving and gold onlay.

I have a late 70s Pigeon Grade II, and they appear similar, w/o the gold.

regards,

Jay

11. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

Leo Carera or somthing like that ,I have a BT-99 all stainless,been shooting it for about 15 yrs or so,dont shot as much as I used to .Grreat gun!!!!!

12. AveragEd

Leo had some serious connections with Browning. I remember him having the BT-99 Max on closeout for something like $1,100 at our state shoot while other dealers there had not yet heard of the BT-100 and were asking $1,700 for their Max guns.

Of course, BT-100s were a closeout item a short time later, too.

Ed

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The close-out models were BT-100s w/thumbhole stock. As I remember.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. AveragEd

All BT-100s were on fire sale around here a year or two after everyone who bought a BT-99 Max at or close to MSRP saw their same gun selling for 40% less. But you're right - the thumbhole models were slow sellers, possibly because the combs supposedly could not be made adjustable. I've seen several that were done, however, and they looked and worked just fine as long as the moveable part was not very deep. If it was cut as deeply as a normal adjustable comb, I suppose the thumbhole would weaken the wrist of the stock.

Ed

15. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

As above the trapwife's name was Joan. She was a fine person, very likeable. Leo had a thing for live bird shooting. He loved it. The store is no longer open. His son sold off the inventory. I spent many hours in his store. I was out collecting money due me from customers that owed me and I stopped at Leo's. I ran into another trapshooting buddy and we got to talking business. I explained that I was out collecting from customers that owed old money to me and picked up a check for $45,000. Leo overheard this and boy you should have seen how quick he got on me trying to sell me a new gun. Like stink on sxxt. Bulge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.