1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is Grayson Prevost?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Wentez, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wentez

Wentez Member

I recently came across a gun marked Grayson Mattel Prevost. I have not found any info on Google. I associate the Prevost name with Canada and found some Canadians with the name Prevost but no info on this guy. Any suggestions??
    Thanks George Wentz

2. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

There is quite a lot to be found on Google concerning a Col. Grayson Mallet-Prevost Murphy, a Depression-era Wall Street banker who was fond of shooting grouse in Scotland. Might it be possible that the gun you have seen is marked with the name of the owner rather than of the maker?

Carol Lister

3. Wentez

Wentez Member

Lister is right on. The backstrap of a plated Colt Pistol is engraved with the name. There is some chipping of the plating and a couple of dings. Those coupled with the engraving style caused me to mis-read the name.

I will try to chase the family down to see if they are interested in returning the item to their family. The original owner was a major figure on Wall Street and was apparently involved with the establishment of the Red Cross in France. He was also a volunteer in the Spahish American War, involved in the Phillipine action and a founder of a group promoting a Fasciest Government even at the cost of assinating of FDR per the Time magazine article from the 1930's!!

George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.