1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is Arnold Reigger? Chump or Champ

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by checker, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. checker

checker Member

Who is Arnold Reigger? Chump or Champ ? Fact or Fiction. Stories...got any? Tall Tales or Truth.....Last seen driving another new car he won at a trap shoot....stopped to "wet his whistle" and found his orginial trap gun hanging in the Bar....Win 37. "The Natural"....???

[​IMG]

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Many knew the champ and now, many know who the chump is.

3. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Seattle's Man of the Year in 1954, wow, times have changed.

4. wanderer

wanderer Member

The shooter responsible for the 27 yard line. Even when his throat cancer had reduced his call to a whisper, he could still break a winning score. He deserves more respect that that expressed above. Gary E. Gasaway.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You could have left the "chump" out of your thread title. Click on the link. Wayne

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Checker:
    i hope this thread is your attempt at a bad joke. if this thread is not a joke, than i would suggest reading books about the history of trapshooting. i don't think that i know you, but most shooters i know respect the shooters from the past and realize that they have laid the ground work for current modern day trapshooters. most of us wish we could remember what Mr. Reigger forgot in his days of shooting. to have the confidence in ones own shooting ability to take a train to a shoot because you knew you were good enough to win a car, so you could drive it back home. after you read up on the history of our sport, i feel you might have a renewed respect for the old time shooters. most shot for the love of the game, some shot to put food on their families table, some shot to earn extra income to make ends meet. these prior shooters, champions, deserve our respect as well as a thank you. Mr. Reigger, his shooting , his exploits, is in the a fabric of what our sport is today.
    good shooting,
    steve balistreri

Charlie Becknell thanked this.
  7. wm rike

wm rike Member

Besides (rightly) shouldering the blame for the 27 yard line, he did it using 2 3/4 dram loads. Pretty cheeky. Hats off to ya', Arnold.

8. wm rike

wm rike Member

Frank

Call Tami @ the ATA HOF @ 937-898-4638 x528 - I think she has copies.

Bill

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Get Real

CHAMP And he shot a Model 12

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

This is a stupid thread. Why pick on Arnold? He was a great trapshooter who's life revolved around the sport until he died.

He was a friend going back to 1947 when he first shot at the Spokane Gun Club, then located at Ft. George Wright. Always a winner.

Keith Miles

Charlie Becknell thanked this.
  11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I believe the reference to "chump" here is not mean spirited, but refers to Mr. Riegger's relative lack for self-promotion and lack of star treatment by the shooting industry..., i.e., Mr. Riegger did not receive sponsorship of any sort from the literature I read. Arnold Riegger was also resented to a degree and, at times, fell into situations where other shooters tried to diminish his efforts before a shoot via "socializing" with him.

Remember, Arnold Riegger's time was during a much less sophisticated, yet likely more competitive era...more shooters, more parity of equipment, three hole targets, less effective ammunition etc. I emphasize likely mainly because of the parity of equipment during those days.

I think I highly understand where the OP, "checker" is coming from, which is from a respectful and curious place.

David Buchman
    Los Angeles

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

ridg300 You asked about buying Dick Baldwins book above is a link to order one.

You also said.

"I like to read about past successful trap shooters."

If you try this link http://www.traphof.org/ you can read all about all the HOF inductees. Those shooting past and present.

Bob Lawless

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Where is Arnold's Model 37 displayed? By the way, the excellent Dick Baldwin book is available on ebay. Just use the search feature.

14. checker

checker Member

Arnold Reigger is THE Champ in my mind.....just wanted to see what others thought.....Do a "google" search on Arnold Reigger and Arnold Reigger Trap and another Armold Reigger Trapshooting, then you'll know what I know. Do you know the Win 37 story, he shot 200 straight with Model 12 in doubles!, His dad said "go win that car....he did at Grand drove it to Casper Wy and met his dad who drove it home....where did Arnold go? 1959 Grand Story....no misses. Lets hear some more, tall takes or facts...It's all Good! Got the interest and blood pumping for THE Champ.

Arnold Riegger
    Full name: Arnold O. Riegger
    Height: 5'5" (165 cm)
    Weight: 190 lbs (86 kg)
    Born: July 8, 1920 in Bothell, Washington, United States
    Died: July 6, 1996 in Seattle, Washington, United States
    Sport: Shooting

A familiar figure at the Grand some 50 years ago was an always-smiling, shy, short, stocky fellow from the state of Washington. He wore baggy pants, a green visor and a stained, wrinkled vest, and he smoked Camels. His name was Arnold Riegger, and he is a shooting legend in every sense of the word.

Boeing wasn't on strike during the 1949 Grand, and it looked like Arnold wasn't going to go. When Arnold told Jimmy Robinson, Trap & Skeet Editor for Sports Afield, he wouldn't be at the Grand, Jimmy wrote to Arnold's boss. The letter worked, and Boeing let him have the time off. He went home with the Clay Target Championship and finished the year with an average of .9910 on 2,800 singles. It was the highest average ever compiled on 2,000 or more targets.

Info about Arnold from a friend "First about Arnold Reiger: I will tell you what I believe is true about Arnold. I did not know him real well but when he quit shooting he was blowing a whistle to call for the targets. He was an recovering alcoholic and I think he wrote a book about in and mention something about an alcoholic trap shooter. Also in his later years he would attend shoots driving I believe was an old yellowish Dodge van and sell shooting supplies and guns. When I use to shoot in Reno all the time they had two guns hanging over the bar at the Harold’s club gun club. One was a Winchester slick barrel Model 37 single barrel that would have been called a semi-hammerless.

I think the signed said “Arnold Reigger Trap gun”. I think it also said he broke 200 straight in the singles to win the Golden West Grand singles championship. The second gun was a Winchester Model 12 Trap. I do not remember what it said about that gun.

Arnold worked for The Boeing Company before he retired. I think he lived in Castle Rock, Washington when he passed away. I think the reason he quit shooting was because of his weak voice and having to blow a whistle. He was very popular around the Hillsboro, Oregon gun club and the members really enjoyed being with him. I think it was in the early 90’s that they (the Hillsboro gun club members) talked him into shooting the doubles in Salem, Ore. The Hillsboro members paid his entry and He had not shot in about 15-20 years and he broke 95.

I think if you research the Grand American I think that is where he made 27 yard line. I think the first two guys were the first to make 27 yards was on that same day. I think Arnold was not first as the other guy that made it that day shot in an earlier squad. Bob Dudley, another deceased trap shooter from Oregon that was about the same age as Arnold use to tell that when Arnold was a young man he and his dad would come to the shoot and while Arnold was signing up the dad would check the scores. As the story goes if there was a 99 already recorded he would tell Arnold “Well Arnold there is all ready a 99 in the club house, you will just have to break them all.” And in many cases that is what Arnold would do."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reading Dick Baldwin's book I was reminded of Win Huff who was the Winchester "Professional" in the Spokane area before and after "The War". Win was the fellow who gave Arnold Reigger his Model 12 and created trapshooting history.

[​IMG]

Baldwin compiled 34 trapshooting stories into a 200-page book also called "The Road to Yesterday." Sold about 3,000 copies.
    [​IMG]

Richard “Dick” Baldwin, Danbury, CT shot his first registered target in February, 1948 at the age of 11. At age 12 he won his first major title. From 1952 through 1955 Dick was a member of the ATA Junior All American Team. There were no sub-junior teams selected at the time. He was named to the 1952 Junior Team when he was still a sub-junior. For almost three years Dick authored a historical column for Trap and Field called "The Road to Yesterday" Dick has also authored many articles for various sporting magazines.

In 2005 he published his book "The Road to Yesterday" which sold over 3000 copies. On September 27th, 2003, Dick was enshrined into the Eastern United States Trapshooting Hall of Fame in Millington, MD.

He was the second junior shooter in the history of the ATA to be punched to the than maximum 25 yard line (August, 1954). In 1933 ATA Hall of Fame member Ned Lilly proceeded him to the 25 yard line. The 27 yard line was introduced in 1956.

At the end of his career in 2006 Dick had shot at 147,500 singles, 103,800 handicap and 72,700 doubles targets in his long 58 year ATA career.

[​IMG]

The Road to Yesterday $50 includes shipping

by

DICK BALDWIN

* Over 140 Vintage Photographs,
    Most never seen before.
    * 34 Classic Trapshooting Stories.
    * Hard Cover, Color Dust Jacket.
    * Forward by Ray Stafford.

15. warren

warren Member

I saw that guy shoot and it was no joke he just did not miss, he leaned far enought forward to pickup a yard on his handicap.

warren

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Great shooter. Dave B

17. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Arnold was a friend of mine. One of my proudest trophies is one presented to me by Arnold for a win in a Handicap event that bore his name. Arnold started shooting Trap with a model 37 Winchester and was given a Model 12 for promotional purposes. Post-2 Gordon Howell

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

ridg300, Arnold wrote a book that was more like memoirs. I however have no idea where to find a copy.

19. Ray Brasser

Ray Brasser Member

I have a xerox copy of Arnold's book. It's not the best copy but it's quite legible. 74 pages. Interesting read. Send me a PM if you're interested in getting a copy. Ray

20. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have the "book" and sent Ray the copy a few years ago. Its more of a typed manuscript but is very good reading and gives aome insight into the man. We have numerous pictures of him at the Spokane Gun Club, Spokane, Wa.

I have also seen shot bags from Washington State that have Arnolds name on them - pretty rare as well.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
inducty to eastern us hof in maryland trap shooting millington club
arnold reiger trapshooter
arnold reigger

arnold riegger

arnold riegger trapshooter

atahalloffamearnieriegger
trapshooter arnold rieger
was arnold regger a one eye shooter