1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is a GOOD stock bender

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 27-T, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 27-T

27-T Member

Who is a good stock bender, and where are they located? Need a stock bent for cast off for a right handed shooter. If you know of a good person please let me know their name and phone number if you will. Thanks for your help.

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Allem's Guncraft in Zionsville, PA did my gun. Their number is 215-679-9016.

Ed

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Ed Yanchok from NJ. Reasonably priced and quick turnaround!!

4. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

Try the stock doctor..Ed Yancock.. stock_doctor@yahoo.com
    He did mine and a great turnaround..He is the gentleman who shot the last target at the grand in Vandalia and the first target in Sparta..call him to get everything right..great guy to do business with.....

5. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Ed Yanchok,does good work,fast turn around,and a great guy to boot.

6. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I would check with a good gunsmith first, to see if the stock can be inlet. On my K80 I was told $500 to $750 to bend it and it may damage the finish or go back to it's orginal position. Phillip inlet it (about 3/8 of an inch) for $50 bucks.

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I did not shoot the first target in Sparta I was there but didn't get on squad 1. What kind of gun? Some can't be bent Ljutic, 1100, 870, Model 12 etc. If you call me, we can talk.

Ed Yanchok

908 753-2365

8. 27-T

27-T Member

Thanks to all for your information. I appreciate it very much.

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Jim Greenwood, Agusta Kansas.

He has done three for me so far.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Excuse my ignorance, but how do they achieve this bend? Do they use steam and jig that progressively applies more pressure as they go? I have seen chair makers use a similar method to what I described.

Sounds like one of those lost art type deals. Just curious as it sounds interesting.

11. AveragEd

I did some research before having mine bent and the method I'm told is recognized as the best is hot oil. They clamp your receiver in a fixture that exerts pressure on the butt of the stock in the direction you want the stock bent and allow hot oil to run over the wrist, where the actual bending will take place. As the wood warms and softens, that pressure is increased until in the bender's judgment, it has been moved as far as it can safely go. Then the oil is stopped and the wood is allowed to cool.

Most stocks will relax back a little. I wanted at least 1/4" of cast and the most that Mike Allem felt my stock could be bent was 5/8ths of an inch; it relaxed back 1/4" so I realized 3/8ths of an inch of added cast.

The grain of the wood in the wrist of the stock determines how much bending a stock will tolerate before cracking. More figure means less flexibility while straight grain will take a lot more bend.

My stock has an oil finish and it was not damaged at all. I would imagine (but could be wrong) that thick urethane finishes might need touching-up afterward but the person doing the bending can best advise you about that.

Ed

12. AveragEd

Here are some poor photos of Allem's German-made bending fixture. The light was just bright enough that my flash washed out the subject and using no flash slowed the shutter so much that it was hard hold the camera steady enough to get a clear shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The photos offer two views of the machine. The receiver is clamped into that padded vice and oil flows from that small faucet, which can be moved in order to align with the stock's wrist. A pump under the trap circulates heated oil.

Ed

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thanks Ed. Definately an art best left to the pro's.

14. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

See the above link for Jim Greenwood's website. He has photos of his stock bending setup in his photo gallery.

Basically they wrap oil soaked rags aroind the wrist and heat them with infrared lamps while the receiver and stock are in a jig. You have to know how much heat and how much pressure to apply. There is some spring back that has to be accounted for too. Decent learning curve I suspect.

I pattern my gun at 16 yards for point of impact and discuss the results with Jim. He can determine how much to bend the stock based on that information.

Jim Greenwood does a good job and the stocks he has bent for me always stay where he puts them.

Jim Skeel

15. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Voodoo Science...........

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Larry Wehinger. Monroe, Wisconsin. Experienced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

allems stock bending

jim greenwood stocks