1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHO HAS THE MOST SHELLS FIRED WITHOUT A BREAKDOWN?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    some shooters at my club want to know, what trap gun is the best ever made? so to figure this out, what brand gun and model do you shoot, and how many targets did you shoot before it broke down?
    steve balistreri

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I think the Benelli 20 guage autos the dove hunting outfitters use have the best reliability record. They fire a thousand plus rounds a day all through the season, and my friends say they just get a squirt of lube a couple times in the day.

On Trap guns I have to say just about any BT-99 is right in there.

I was sure of it when the guy next to me had his Perazzi trigger fall on the ground. I wanted to laugh but he was pretty big.

HM

3. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Any USAF C-130 Super Puff. gyrine

4. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

gyrine,,,,that's not fair as it's done in 15 minutes or so what no one will shoot in a lifetime,,,,just love that little plane....:D

5. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Senior Smoke, I think this is a great question. I have known of one mans Ljutic which had more than 350,000 shells through it without issue. I understand he put almost a million shells through it before he quite shooting for other reasons, but from reports I overheard, it did break a firing pin once.....

I believe the MachOnes have a great record too.
    I know mine has been spotless, but will be the first to tell you I bought it used (comming up on one-year ago) and have only put around 10,000 rounds through it myself. I'm sure it's over 10-years old, and it was an active shooter all its life. I dont think it has ever seen a non-human failure?

6. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

I don't keep that detailed of a record but since 1976 my Ljutic is better than my MX-8 and my 1100 by a .....well you fill it in.I'd say BT99's are next best in a break open gun. 870 for a pump.

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

KS 5 and KX 5 have long runs with no work on them...dunno upper end, but I had a used to me and very loose KS 5 that still never had a problem.

8. vdt

vdt Active Member

i shoot a MX3C 1984 ,i put threw it around 10,000 rounds a year,1 top hammer spring [ broke ]never faild to fire in 25 years,....clean and oiled.....vdt

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

300 rounds from a Mossberg 500. Gun was still going fine, but my shoulder broke. That count?

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

20+ years shooting a ljutic. I have never changed a single part. Not even a spring. It has more than a couple hundred thousand rounds through it. I did put a PFS on it about 10 years ago and a release (used) trigger about one year ago. An old shooter (Bill G.) from Southern California with Ljutic Mono #4 (I think?) claimed he had over 1,000,000 rounds through it. When he quit shooting he sold it to another shooter. That shooter sent it to Ljutic, had it gone through and rebluded, and still shoots it.

11. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

At about 130,000 a firing pin finally broke on my Perazzi TMX. I'm pretty happy with that! Put new ejector springs in it just for the heck of it. Have over 160,000 easy with nothing else wrong.

12. shadow

shadow Active Member

Ljutic # 935 had well over 250,000 rounds thru it when I sold the thing for more than I paid for it.

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I never keep one gun long enough to get 100,000 through it....:(

14. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I purchased a Remington Wingmaster 870 in 1969. Shot trap, took it phesant, quail and duck hunting as well. I kept a running record of how many shells went through this gun. When I sold it in 1986, I had shot 42,675 rounds through it with not replacing anything in or on the gun. I did, after I bought it, had a center post put on the barrel. In which it was a 28 inch modified. I would take the gun completely down and clean all parts once a month. I again now have another Remington Wingmaster 870. (RICH,In name only.)

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Kay has a lot of rounds through his K-80.

16. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Either the U.S. Army or the Air Force I can't remember now has an MX8 with over 3,000,000 rounds fired. I don't know if it ever refused to fire but I suspect not since they get pretty good maintenance. Not bad. JRM

17. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

180,000+ through a SS BT-99, 30,000 through a newer BT-99. Both still going strong. Wayne

18. racer

racer TS Member

I'm going to look up Model 12 testing for the military. I recall some insane numbers....Dan

19. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The book, "The Winchester Model 12" by George Madis recounts a Model
    97 used used by Winchester for testing shells. It was called "Old Reliable"
    and fired 1,247,000 rounds without a breakdown. This period covered 29 years.
    It had it's firing pin and spring renewed once. I doubt if any of the modern
    guns could equal this record.

20. nobody

nobody TS Member

I used to shoot my al391 trap model alot. Probaly averaged 2-3 days a week shooting between practice and compepititon. God knows how many thousands of rounds. Never failed to fire and wouldn't jam unless you were shooting garbage shells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.