1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who has read 'One Second After'

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Lovemy99, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

Who out there has read the book "One Second After"? Excellent book, by the way, and it really makes you think. What with North Korea and Iran getting The Bomb, this scenario is entirely plausible. Ammo will be the new currency and survival in the aftermath is up to the individual.

No black helicopters here, just a very realistic look into our society today and how a major (and very plausible) event can tear it down so easily.

If you haven't read it, you should.
    Scott

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've read it. Scary, stock up on 22's and MRE's.

3. gotbass

gotbass Member

Excellent read. Really gives you something to think about.

4. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

With the way things are in the world today, do you think this could happen? I mean, it seems like the perfect way to bring the US to its knees and conquer us without much loss of assets on their side.

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have not read the book, but have often felt with both Iran and North Korea working on both the bomb and a delivery system, it will only be a matter of time.

I am sure China has helped Korea with missile tech, which China got from us.

Excellent deniability for both Russia helping Iran and China helping North Korea, let your protégés do what you know would be suicideale for yourself.

And an ICBM is not really needed, just lunch one off a ship from 1000 miles offshore, or smuggle one into a harbor on a ship and set it off before docking.

Sept 11, 2001 should make it clear, we are no longer safe in this world. Just one Nuke in DC, or NYC could send this country into chaos.

6. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

Rick,

Interesting that you should say that. The premise of the book is that North Korea, with China's help, smuggled short range missiles off our shores in old freighters. They then launched the missiles into the lower atmosphere and detonated the nukes. The resulting EMP bursts wiped out all of our electronics and society shuts down. It is chaos and anarchy that result takes only a few days to develop, with it spreading from the cities outward like a plague.

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

EMP is the greatest threat to America today, and it is so easy to execute it is a near certainty it will happen. The experts I've read say more than 90% of America's people will perish from starvation and exposure.

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It is best to be prepared, we are about 50 miles from the ant pile, and I really doubt they would make it out here the sheeple would stay in the cities waiting for the grocery stores to grow more food, and for the gas stations to produce more fuel

We are will stocked with most all of the commodities we would need to weather the situation, we always have about 3000 gallons of LP on the farm along with 1000 gallons of diesel fuel. We have a 5500 watt generator that I converted to run off LP so we won't have to worry about gas going bad, and if we need more power for something we also have a 27.5 KW generator that runs off the PTO of one of the tractors

We can also grow all of our food but have enough to make it a year, and always have a large garden

Our 9 acre pond holds about 56,000,000 gallons of water and I have the materials to install a sand and carbon filter, along with a still to distill the water (and moonshine)

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Well done Catpower.

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Might as well, I'm using it as a hedge against inflation, the .7% the bank is paying on CD's doesn't do much, and if Sh&* ever does hit the rotating air oscillator we will be prepared

The only hard part will be telling friends that never prepared for anything too bad, you ain't coming on here unless you can provide for yourself, sounds tough, but only the tough and prepared will survive

11. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Could you print the ISBN ? number of the book? Thanks. Charlie

12. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

"One Second After" By: William R. Forstchen ISBN# 978-0-7653-2725-3 Forge Publishers.

I was born and raised in the section of North Carolina in which the story takes place. The author's attention to detail is wonderful. He has done his homework. I tell you folks, if you read this and really think about it, it will send chills down your spine to think about how truly possible this scenario is.

Scott

13. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Scott- Thanks for that info. Charlie

14. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

You're welcome, Charlie.
    Scott

15. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

To answer your question

Yes I read it and WOW did and does it make me think.Scary sinerio

16. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I haven't read this particular novel but quite a few years ago I read a book named "Alas Babylon" by Pat Frank. A very good read in my opinion.

It was published in 1959 and is another apocalyptic novel dealing with a nuclear attack on the USA.

I will read your book also.

Bill

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

One of the reasons I put ATA trap on the back burner for a while... see what happens.

18. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Actually a typical nuclear attack on America would be dumb. They can easily decimate our population with an easily deployed EMP and 1 year later walk in nearly unopposed. This would be a very plausible scenario for China to collect the money we owe them.

19. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Perhaps this is the reason HLS is buying bullions and bullions (Carl Segan) ammo???

20. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

Wireguy,

That is exactly the scenario that plays out in this novel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.