1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who has put their reloader away for good ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brudford, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brudford

Brudford TS Member

Well tonight I finished off the last of my older bags of shot.I unscrewed
    the bolts from the Mec 9000G and took it off the bench. Kind of sad that the
    Chi-Com Comminists have ruined the American culture and hobby of reloading.
    A friend of mine in the metal business states at least 10 more years for
    the Communists to keep expanding their economy.Bottom line is lead will never even come close to what prices we have enjoyed in the past. Oh yeah ! We can keep telling ourselves China is buying lead for the car batteries,I think they are building munitions and producing vast quanities of bullets. They are buying in such vast amounts that just one buy can alter the entire market.
    I guess just about everything we touch from the time we get out of bed in the morning is made in China,go to Wall Mart and try to find just one product
    other than food that is not made in china ! The foood comes from Mexico.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I won't put mine away. I still save about $3.00 a box on my game shootin' shells.

ec90t

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Even with the price of components being what they are, it's still less expensive to reload, especially my handicap loads. The cost of reloading a flat of 7-1/2's/1250 fps is approx. 35-40% less than new Silver Bullets or Nitro's.

Even if the cost was the same, I still enjoy my reloads better.

Curt - Delaware

4. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Not quite ready to unbolt, cover and store the reloader.

Still have components on hand to load, takes up time on those cold, wet non shooting weekends and my reloads pattern as well as the high dollar factories and recoil LESS. My "2-3/4" dr. eq. kick less than factory 2-3/4 and so forth.

Shells are loaded today from the factory erring to the hot side.

5. FormerMarine

FormerMarine Member

Brudford.............Wanna sell that 9000?

Bill

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Put away for good? That's a long time. Everything changes. It probably will not be for good.

Even with shot at its current price I can save on skeet's beloved .410s, 28s, and even 20s.

But I can only save pennies per box on 12 gauge when I can match up a coupon with a sale at Dicks. For 12 gauge skeet at 21 yards, Estates and Gun Clubs are plenty good enough. That may not apply to you long-yardage trap peeps.

But I expect the prices will go up on new ammo, the equation to change, and consequently expect the 12 gauge reloader to be fired up again. But not very often. 12 gauge skeet is rare for me now. It will be even more so. Maybe I'll just retire the 12 gauge skeet gun and use the 20 gauge.

7. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I admit that I stopped reloading a few months ago, but not because I wasn't saving money, because I was, but that I gained about 100 more hours per year (some of which will be billable) and a large amount of storage space. It was not an easy decision, and my scores have dipped recently, not having the psychological connection with my ammunition that reloading gave me. Maybe after I retire, I can start reloading again, Deo volente.

Porcupine

8. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I practice a lot with the .410 so the MEC is staying put for now. In a fluke of a deal, the local Wally World decided to mark all 12 ga STS's down to $5 a box. I loaded up in case I want to shoot the 12 again and for doves.

I noticed the Remington Sportsman 4 pack was $20, and the Federals were $15.87.

9. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Sold one on eBay, gave the other to the gun club.

10. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I'm old enough to remember shot for 3 bags for $10.00 down at Gander. Now it's $30.00 a bag. So what else is new. If you stop reloading they win. Next you will stop shooting. And then it's on to becoming a Damocrat and wishing for Billery to win. I will fight them if I have to do it all myself.

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My P/W 800C has been gathering dust on my bench since 1992.

12. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

If we are talking costs of reloads vs new shells I think many times we are not fair in the pricing of components. ( i.e., using the highest priced components, such as Remington primers) This in turn places the costs of reloads very close to the new cheaper shells. However, here are my figures for a box of reloads using todays prices of components in my area. (Wisconsin)
    Promo powder-8#= $72 / Downrange wads-5000=$67 / Fiocchi primers-5000= $100 / Magnum shot-25# = $29.50 Not counting the value of the hulls this equates to $3.49 a box for 1 1/8 oz loads and $3.26 a box for 1 oz loads. (This figuring the loads with 18 grains of powder). Note I did not include sales tax; as if you purchase new shells sales tax also comes into the equation. This being said, the cheapest new shells I can find in my area are Federal Top Guns at $3.99 per box; buying them by the flat. Therefore I am still saving anywhere from $.50 (1 1/8 oz) to $.73 (1 oz) per box. Also, I feel my reloads using said components are much better or at least equal. Ed

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Jerry,

Have you priced a box of Federal's lately? All the heavy game loads are $8.00 a box or better. I use a heavy shell for 2nd through 5th shots on oakley's and second shot on protections. I use a standard 1235fps load for my first shot.

Besides I can't find any manufacture that sells a 1 1/8oz shell that is packed with 6's going about 1350fps. That's what I use for a heavy load. 1 1/4oz shells just kick a little bit too much for me.

Plug in the following recipe into the cost of reloading calculater and tell me:

Remington hull (gunclub,sts,etc)

Remington/Winchester 209 primer

28.5 grains of Hodgdon's Longshot

Remington Fig. 8 wad

1 1/8oz of hard 6's

I know that this load is not in the book, but it is very safe and on the low side for pressure. So don't flame me for it.

ec90t

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have been accumulating new STS shells when on sale, and flats of UMC and Rios in anticipation of the new hike in ammo prices. I have been trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and stockpile a huge supply of factory ammo, or continue reloading. Yesterday I decided to stockpile more reloading supplies, so I bought the last 24 bags of shot I could get at $27 per, plus 10,000 more primers. So now I have enough stuff to load 20,000+ shells, which should last two years. I'll decide then what to do if prices continue to rise.

Figuring all my stash at the last pricing, I have:

STS hulls @ $30/1000 (I figure 6 leads each for costing purposes)

STS Primers @ $140/5000

powder @ $85/8lbs

Remington TGT-12 and Fig-8 wads @ $82/5000

West Coast Magnum shot @ $27/25lbs

That works out to $3.85 per box for my handicap loads. That's exactly what I pay now for UMC and Rios purchased in flats. So I get premium quality reloads for the price of cheapo shells.

15. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Jerry,

I'll probably run into Randy this weekend if he's not to busy.

One of the guys that I shoot with a couple of evenings a week shoots nothing but 1 oz loads. He also uses 1oz of 6's and shoots them very well. His shells are a little on the slow side and you have to be careful shooting after him.

ec90t

16. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Reloaders still command a good price on Ebay. If supply exceeds demand, then we all should be able to buy cheap reloaders on Ebay, from people who quit loading. I find that often the prices are close to new or are junk and they are still getting a good dollar for them. This I don't understand. Once in a while I will buy a used reloader and refurbish it and resell it. Lately I have added up the price of the replacement parts and said they are way overpriced. I just sold a brand new Mec 600 Jr to a customer and it looks just like the 600 and 700 Versa Mec from 1982. If a bunch of people quit reloading, then suppliers should be backlogged with components and the prices should drop. I am waiting........ .......... waiting............. Omaha .... I think I will pack a lunch.

17. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I am far from ready to sell my unit. While costs savings are marginal, I both enjoy the reloading sessions, and honestly like the quality of my reloads better than the "cheap" shells you can buy.

Components are high, and lead is nutty and might not get better. I am sure we all realize when existing contracts for the major shell vendors run out on shot, factory shells will keep pace with the inflation of lead pricing. I think about a year ago you could buy one bag of West Coast at Sportsman Warehouse for retail at 17.95. I bought a bunch of NW from Sac Trap club before they were run out of town for 14.50 or around that. Anything under 25 is sounding good now. I bought enough product to probably last a year or better, but will buy more as needed at current market pricing.

All that said, new STS, Nitro or even the dreaded AA factory loads will go up substantially when Remington and Winchester get a price adjustment from their lead vendors. Even if I just broke even, reloading would be my preference, as it is an integrated part of my shooting experience.

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Not me! I use Rio primers, clone wads, Rex powder, and bought three tons of shot last fall. I load 7/8 oz in the 12, 13/16 oz in the 20, 11/16 oz in the 28, and a nominal 1/2 oz in the wienie gun. When I do shoot caps, I use one ounce and a full choke. Scores are about the same.

I load STS and AA quality loads for less than the price of promos. Promo loads are ok for skeet and short yardage trap, but caps and bunker need premium loads for long range performance.

Ammo is going up Sept 1, and again at the end of the year. Keep loading. It is therapy for me, and I have more confidence in my ammo than factory fodder.

19. blooch

blooch Member

We're not quitting reloading, just changing to all one brand of machine that both myself and the rest of the family can or like to use.

I've been trying to sell a PW 800C in 20 ga with a Hydraulic unit for quite a while. It all works great. Noone has even offered a 1/3 of what it would take to buy it all new. Been offering it for almost the price of the hydraulic unit alone, with the loader, no serious bites at all. Maybe folks are quiting reloading. A year or so ago, this would have all sold just to get the hydraulic unit cheap.

20. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

9000g - grabber - 650 - mec jr

14 bags of shot - 5000 1 ounce wads - 5000 primers - 8lb's Clay Dot - 10 lb's Red Dot - 4000 Gun Club's donated - 5000 STS and Nitro once fired.

Shot 15K registered last year - might hit 7000 registered this season. And next year it might be 1/2 of that!

I won't get rid of the loaders quite yet!!

38-01615

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.