1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who has had side ribs resoldered?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Who has had side ribs resoldered? in this case a pgun but I imagine anyone capable of doing this work can do it on any gun?

Person? Contact information? Price? and results?

Giacomos operation charges 500 plus shipping which I think is about tripple what I want to pay

Any other options out there?

regards from Iowa

Gene

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

To get it done right, for what is involved, incl re-blue, that is not a bad price, at all.

Call Doug Braker, tho, too.

Bob

3. wm rike

wm rike Member

Having barrels put back together is not a pleasant thing to look forward to, but that $500 is not a bad price - certainly not the highest, and Giacomo's work is good and turnaround is short. If you wait here long enough someone will offer to epoxy it back together cheap or resolder it without stripping and reblue.

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

To rust blue the barrels is $290.. So.. $210 to remove the ribs.. strip the solder.. resolder.. reregulate the barrels..polish to like new.. and reblue.. Wish you luck finding it cheaper.. Even Simmons was the same kind of money.. that is about what it is anywhere... If you find it for cheap.. please let us all know.. AFTER you shoot them..and see where your POI is.. All Good.. Mike

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Gene...... I had Giacomo re-solder the ribs on a DB-81 O/U set not too long ago. The price for the job, including the bluing, was right at $500. If I had it to do over, I would have just had the side ribs completely removed and had them set the barrels up with a barrel hanger and leave the barrels open with no side ribs at all..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. g7777777

I thought about that- having just a barrel hanger installed.

I think I like that idea- who would do that type of work?

Gene

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Gene.... Dan @ Giacomo's does an excellent job of doing this. Mike (perazzibigbore)has had several done. Ask him what he thinks about the conversion. The barrels can be set up any way you want them prior to the work being done. Really lightens up the barrels and makes it a dream to shoot. The other thing to consider is this: Sooner or later, if you keep the gun, the side ribs will come loose again at some point. If the ribs are removed, so is the problem..... Dan

8. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

try eyster. he has the fixture to secure the barrels and keep them straight.

9. g7777777

Dan good point and when you get the ribs back from Giacomo- dont they say on the invoice "no warranty" when you have ribs resoldered?

I am going to talk to them about the remove the ribs- anyone else have this rib removal done by another place?

Gene

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Dan.. I don't know if he'll strip the ribs and install the handmade barrel hangars for many people.. He did it for me.. because we are very close.. The work.. and regulating is a slow.. time consuming process.. If one were looking to save money.. that's not the road to take.. Now.. if you wanted a set of 1.45KG 31.5" DB-81 barrels.. It's not about the money.. YES.. they are FANTASTIC..as is my 1.36KG MX-10 O/U barrels.. and my 1.51 34" O/U Perazzi barrels..

Now.. If a barrel has been backbored.. don't expect the side ribs to stay on for extended periods..Especially with Nitro 27's or Rhino roller shells.. The lightweight barrels flex to much for ribs to last forever.. Just my experience.. Your milage may vary...

All Good.. Mike

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I just new it was a Perazzi it is quite common with the O/u barrels and yes it may not shoot in the same POI when done and someone at the club just had it done for the second time with the same barrels. My MX8 is from the 1970's and still no rib problems luck of the draw I guess but they could use a re blue and that is costly with rust bluing also. I will go the hangar route with my gun and think that after that it could be hot blued with a new rib also. Dennis De Vault has done this before and his work is as good as anybody out there or better but at a price. I wish someone would set up to do this conversion as a specialty adjustable POI is a real need for all type of shotgun sports. Remington did it with the 3200 Krieghoff has the market cornered on this feature.

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Simmons did my O/U barrel with a 3200 barrel hasnger.. in fact.. my 34".. It shoots great.. no issues at all.. I'd check will Dennis before you think he'll do an O/U Perazzi barrel again.. I know he'll do a single barrel.. but O/U's get to be a real pain..

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Best luck with Giacomo Sporting. Barrel will look brand new. I'm sure there are others but Perazzi has Giacomo do many of there's.

14. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Check with Pat Laib- he uses some hi tech 3M adhesive that does not require removing the side rib. AND best of all it works and last time I heard he was less than $100.00. AND EVEN BETTER your POI will be the same as when you sent it to him.

If the smith that you use removes both side ribs and does not have a jig to keep the barrels from moving so they remain at the same POI your gun will come back with the top barrel shooting about 6inches higher than the bottom. This is a disaster for your doubles.

I know all about it as this is the issue that prompted me to switch from Pgun to Kgun.

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The concept of using the 3M is excellent.. AND.. I think the 3M has some "give" which will probably make it last a VERY long time.. Remember.. when they strip and relay ribs.. if there is any rust.. in between the barrels.. It's seen and corrected.. Maybe 1 in 50 or so can have a safety issue.. This is true with any twin barreled gun that has sideribs..or infact.. a rib..

In any event.. on a Perazzi..I much perfered NO sideribs.. as on a MX3 Special,MX2L,MX8B,or the Sporting MX-8 that came ribless for a while..Not to leave out the MT-6.. I've often wondered why they have not gone to the K-32 style barrel hangar.. It would have made life so much easier on a Perazzi..

I think the Alferman brothers were on to something.. with a 1 piece barrel.. Wish they made it out of Titanium.. If they did.. I'd probably own one today..I see a O/U tube with thin sleeves burried in carbon fiber.. right around the corner.. Wonder who will be the first to get into the 21st century??? All Good.. Mike

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I think Phil has the best answer. This was one of the prime reasons for me switching from a DB-81 combo to an MX3 Special combo. I had a set of MX8 O/U barrels that the side ribs were coming loose on, and rather than fix them, I sold them. Then I aquired a DB-81 Combo with soldered side ribs on the O/U barrel. Ribs came loose on that barrel as well. Had it fixed by Giacomo. Rather than keep shooting it and risking the ribs coming loose again, (and an additional $500 to repair) I decided to come off the DB-81 set. The MX3 Special has no such problems, and it shoots as well, if not better, than the DB-81 did..... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

17. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Thnks for this thread, I too have a P-Gun (Mirage) that the side plates are loose. Lucio (Perazzi-Azusa)recommended sending them in for a redo- but, since I don't shoot doubles,(just singles with the mated unsingle barrel), it seems alittle cost ineffective. I really suck at doubles, and hate trying..But maybe a redo with a different POI would help!....LarryB

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I have tried the 3M glue thing on both the side ribs and the top rib. All came loose in less than 1000 rounds. I was told by the smith using the glue that they could never get all the dirt and oil out from under the ribs and the adhesive couldn't get a good hold.

The POI may be a problem but I trust Dan at Giacomo's to do the job without problems. They have never cut a corner in my dealings with them or Giacomo himself.

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Dan has done the ribs at Giacomo's for more than the last 10 years.. Giacomo really rather stay on the work bench.. and let Dan.. and Doug.. and Allen do the bluing and ribs and wood work.. Giacomo loved the metal parts.. and fitting.. Getting everything to sound like a finely tuned sewing machine.. Dan trained over 16 years under the watchful eye of Giacomo.. There's no one better at it While I'm sure.. at the factory.. there are a few that has worked on as many guns.. NONE of them can come close to the numbers of older Perazzi's.. Dan and Giacomo have done.. It's just not the Italian way.. to keep anything that long.. Dan sees more in 2 weeks at the Grand then many see in a year.. For some.. in a lifetime..

20. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

If Perazzi really cared about fixing a problem that has existed for many many years this would have been corrected by now. Really amazing people still buy these guns knowing trouble is awaiting with the side ribs. But hey in the sporting scene i see at least one a week that has electrical tape on the barrel to hold them in. Nice look for a 8000.00 gun i must say. Some poor engineering to say the least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.