1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who has had new Federal Gold Smooth hulls seperate

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AveragEd, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

PM sent.

Ed

2. leadvail

leadvail Member

Well, don't keep it a secret, especially with the rebate program going on. :)

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

This is such an old topic that I can't believe someone is still having issues. The smooth hulls suck and they have since changing from the ribbed style. That's the reason why Federal went back to the ribbed style last year in about July as I recall. There were issues with new, let alone reloads.

ss

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Okay, here's the content of my PM.

Gary, back when the smooth hull came out, I decided to switch from Remington shells to Federals and bought 18 flats of one-ounce plastic shells and a dozen flats of papers. The first flat of plastics I opened had ribbed hills and shot okay but the second flat had smooth hulls and about a dozen of the 250 did the stuff you mentioned - split up the side or separated in the chamber.

I called Federal to, I thought, let them know of a problem but I was fairly curtly told the conditions I reported weren't happening, so I asked what the first lot number of smooth hulls was and returned all the smoothies and exchanged them for ribbed.

When the hulls were ready for retirement, I went back to Remington ammo. I didn't get the reload life out of the Gold Medals that I did with STS shells and - you'll probably think I have a vivid imagination - I thought the Federals kicked harder. They use more powder and Federal wads and their copies are significantly heavier than Remington wads. I eventually went to the Claybuster CB-4100 Lightning wad for the plastic shells and Windjammers for the papers to get the felt recoil down.

But there are a lot of guys out there who love 'em, so they can't be all bad! That smooth hull, however, has had problems from the start.

Ed

5. leadvail

leadvail Member

Thank's Ed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.