1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who has had a fixed choke brl opened up?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BAD 303, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Who has had choke work done on a fixed tight choked barrel? And who is considered to do the best quality of work? Am thinking of having a fixed .038 opened up to around .025. Thanks in advance.

2. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Wrights in Pickneyville, Illinois. Great gunsmiths that do this work all the time.

3. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

I AGREE!!!!!!!! joe90t

4. red hammer

red hammer Member

If you want the best Tom Wilkerson I had him do my Perazzi the next weekend won over 2000 dollars and havent stoped. That gun crushes targets

5. Dirtyharry357Mag

Dirtyharry357Mag Member

Kerry Allor Did My 90-t to change the POI moved the choke, Then honed the barrel bore to the choke .032 when finished.. It will still hit a target from acrossed the street, best turkey shoot gun I have ever had.

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Had a hack gunsmith from NJ do a barrel and a choke tube for me years ago . Never hit in the right place , then found out the next month he had screwed up a Perrazzi barrel for another shooter who just thru it in the garbage can at the State Shoot. Yes get someone reliable . I sold both of mine . There are too many hacks and unfortunately they come from Jersey . Oh yeah and there are 2 or 3 from PA , very close !!!! Must be the water ??

7. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

I agree with the Tom Wilkerson guys. I have a high rib 90-t with a Wilkerson barrel .749 bore and .711. .038 fixed choke and it to will hit targets hard from across the street. Singles targets are puffs of smoke. Dale

8. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

Tom Larkin did one for me last year at the Great Lakes Grand. It is an old 870 full that he opened up to an improved mod. Still crushes targets back to the 27 but is a little more forgiving at 16. Overall I shoot it much better now.

Tom

9. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Allot or wilkerson. Cheap gun briley

10. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

BTW, it is Tom Wilkinson.

11. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

Maybe instead of getting the choke opened up I would think about having the barrel reworked for screw in chokes. That way you can find the right choke for your shooting.

Ed

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Or,,, you could just learn how to shoot instead of risking a buggered up barrel.

ljutic111 , You should have done the noble thing and thrown your gun in the garbage can also. Doesn't it make you just another hack for passing it on to someone else?

13. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Never thought about that Johnny? Care to tell us all your win history?

14. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Of course you didn't think about that cause it's the gun's fault. Glad I could help!

My wins won't help you any, sorry

I wouldn't mess with it because you will be out money with no real gain and you still won't be happy. You would be better off to trade it for choke tubes and be done with it.

15. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Post your average so we can all see what kind of expert is in our presence.

16. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

A few years ago I had my DB-81 barrel backbored by Kerry Allor to .740 without any choke work done. I then had Jack Martin(deceased) from Fresno do the choke work. It ended up at .026 restriction and really hits the targets hard from 27 yds.

17. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Bad, If I posted my average would you believe me? Are you are willing to take advice from everyone else , no questions asked? Ask the gun manufacturer what his average is. I don't think you really want advise, you just want others to tell you that you are doing the right thing. good luck

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I bought an adjustable six blade reamer and a dial micrometer bore guage and did the job myself. HMB

19. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Johnny Boy !! I explained to the guys I sold the gun and a barrel too of the situation and they were willing to take on the gun with that in mind . Eventually they had them choke tubed . And don`t go telling me what to do or shouldn`t have done .

20. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Johnny one thing is for certain you like the superior better than thou act on the internet. I asked a simple question about opening up a fixed choke barrel. Your flipant response was not needed or asked for. I have shot choke tubed barrels for years and have a fixed choke barrel i am thinking about having opened up some since i have zero need for .38 constriction on a sporting clays course. If you think your shooting ability has any coralation to whether a barrel is .038 or .025 you have shown your ignorance for eveyone here to see. I have been a Master class sporting shooter for the last decade and know full well how to shoot a shotgun. I certainly don't need you to advise me on how to shoot a gun. You have added ZERO to this thread about the question i posed. If you like to shoot a fixed choke at .045 i don't give a rats azz. It is simply not needed for any trap target or sporting target. And who said i was taking advise from anyone? I asked for others opinions and who had done the work. Not that hard for most to comprehend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.