1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

who has best price for case coloring reciever

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Calkidd, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Is case colored a process? Why kind of gun where you thinking about having done? I have a 870 that was in sad shape and had the receiver powder coated a krinkle flat black.
    Bryan

2. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

It has nothing to do with price- but results

You dont want to be looking for cheap- but rather best

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Gene is correct - price is not the issue, quality is!

If you are looking to reproduce the original colors you need to find the gunsmith that specializes in that particular type of color casing. Doug Turnbull probably has the best reputation, and specializes in LC Smiths and Colts. I had a LC Smith done by him a number of years ago and it was perfect!

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I would like to have my DT-10 receiver case colored. For future reference, who is the guy to do that?

5. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

There is a guy in Wyoming that I have used. There is also a guy here in Dallas Center Iowa (who I havent used but whose work I have seen). Both are good and only a fraction of what Trumbull charges

Do a white page search for Chuck Enlow - Dallas Center Iowa.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Copper, Usaully runs around 600. Look at my thread, Parker sc brought back . If you need more info pm me.

7. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I have 2 kreighoff that a shop by the name of Signal Mountain Gun Shop in Roundup MT. They were blue receivers when I started the case colour, don't know if nickel will be a problem of not. The receivers turned out great, still have the k80. thanks Ronnie

8. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Larry Del Grego & Son in Ilion, NY are the preeminent restorers of all things Parker.

9. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Send the gun to Doug Turnbull - he has the Parker process pretty well mastered, and they come out beautiful.

The case coloring process was considered highly proprietary and a carefully guarded trade secret at the makers, and replicating it is difficult. Each process has its' own distinct characteristics, and it makes a big difference in how original the colors come out.

I did my Parker at Dougs', and it came back magnificent.

10. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

+1 for Doug Turnbull. There's Turnbull, and then there's all the rest. Visit his website (Google Turnbull Restorations) and you'll see why he's the best.

11. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Another thought - when you case color, you are heat treating the receiver. This has to be done carefully to maintain the proper dimensions and not distort it. Keep that in mind - if the temperature and quench are not spot on, you could have some serious issues. That also goes for the packing (they pack the parts in charcoal - bone and stuff - that is part of the technique and color). If the over carborize by leaving it in the heat too long, you may not be happy.

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have a question. I had an old Double Barrel shotgun that looked like it was case colored. On the bottom of the reciever, it was worn shiny silver, from carrying it while hunting. Does this mean that it was fake case color, or is it normal that real case coloring wears through?

13. hkg3k

hkg3k Member

Some time back in the day, I contacted Doug Turnbull about doing case coloring on a Krieghoff Model 32 receiver which was due for a refinish. If I remember correctly, Doug advised me he either would not or strongly suggested against case hardening the Krieghoff receiver as he could not guarentee dimensions could be held after the process. I wound up sending it to Ottsville for a re-bluing.

14. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

What Wolfman said. You extremely want expert, not 'reasonable', and BTW the Del Gregos use a cyanide process which reproduces only the Remington era Parker colors.

Case color examples above

Bachelder's does very nice Parker and Smith work.

Grand Rapids, MI
    616-459-3636
    http://www.bacheldermastergunmakers.com/Bachelder_Master_Gunmakers/Welcome.html

Dan Rossiter
    PGS Gunsmithing Services
    570-744-2400
    Rome. PA
    http://www.pgsguns.com/Metal_Work.html
    info@PGSGUNS.COM

Dan Printz
    Yanceyville, NC
    dan@danthegunman.com
    http://www.danthegunman.com
    336-694-7244

Doug Turnbull Restoration, Inc.
    Bloomfield, NY
    585-657-6338
    info@turnbullrestoration.com

Classic Guns Inc. (The go to guy for L.C. Smiths)
    John Gillette
    Crete, Il.
    708-367-1620
    service@classicgunsinc.com
    http://www.classicgunsinc.com/

R. G. S. Restorations, Inc.
    6441 U.S. Hwy. 45 South
    Oshkosh, WI. 54902
    920-688-2857
    or
    920-979-4867
    http://www.ronsgunshop.com/

Ed Szafranski
    Lake Mills, WI
    920-648-5618

15. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Leo, real case coloring is almost as delicate as blueing, and can be worn off with handling. Also, it will fade with time. In fact, it's usually protected with a coat of clear lacquer.

Fake case coloring involves a torch and cold blueing solution, and is even easier to wear off. Some of the Stevens and H&R shotguns used this method.

16. EuroJoe

EuroJoe Well-Known Member

PM Joe Schmo on this site. He has a gun that was CC redone, and it was GORGEOUS!! Don't know where or how much, but I think he said it was someone in the midwest.

17. skeezix

skeezix Member

What little I know about case coloring/ hardening is that the actual colors are a desirable by-product of the real intent. I think, that the whole purpose of carborizing the metal is to surface harden it for better wear and durability properties. It just so happens that it results in a finish that is very nice and classic. Even if the colors are long gone, the hardening is still there.

From what I've read, the fact that the surface is still hardened is the thing that makes restoring them so difficult, pricey, and risky. In order to properly color the receiver, it has to be annealed, and then the carborization / hardening / colorizing process can be re-done. This process is risky - even when done by an expert. Stick to someone like Turnbull that knows what they are doing.

I think it's probably a labor of love to restore a classic gun, and that you'll be lucky to come out ahead on the dollars side of the equation.

Jon

18. wm rike

wm rike Member

Turnbull is probably the class leader at the present, a safe bet but expensive. Del Grego has been doing Parkers forever, but his colors are brassy and unauthentic.

19. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The Brits use a product called "Gunlock" varnish (sic) to protect the colors from fading or wearing off. If the gun gets frequent use, the process can be repeated and the colors will stay fresh and bright indefinitely.

20. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I had the pleasure of a tour of the Doug Turnbull operation, upon my stay in NY last summer.

Unbelieveable to see those craftsmen at work...

I watched with amazement the fellow who was laying out the checkering to be done on a stock. Scribing, looking at it, scribing some more, looking at it again...I had never seen this done before, and was really interested...What a craftsman named Ryan Power...He just kept going like I wasn't even there, although he did say hello and was very friendly to me..I didn't want to bother him, just wanted to watch him with amazement.

Others were just as meticulous with their crafts...Amazing just isn't a complete word for what I saw...

Finished products were absolutly beautiful !!!

I would recommend them highly.

Dave in SC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
case coloring cost
case coloring for receiver
casecolor receiver
cyanide shotgun receiver

faux case hardened receiver

krieghoff case hardened receiver

parker case coloring