1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who has an FFL?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cableguy, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

I'm toying with the idea of getting a FFL. Not so I can open a gun shop or, make a million bucks. I thought that I might make a little side money doing transfers. Are there any other benefits? What's the down side?

Thanks,

Shawn

2. richrob

richrob TS Member

I do not have one, but did a little reading. If I remember correctly you need a store front with regular business hours and a security system. There are other restrictions that I dont remember but they made it so you can't just have one and do transfers for your buddies. -Rich

3. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I actually looked into it for a bit. I don't recall anything about a store front, as I know lots of FFL holder who operate out of their homes. What about online dealers? They have no physical store front.

It's designed so that you can't get it just to do transfers for yourself. I think you are required to do a small number (6 or so) of transfers for people other than yourself to maintain your FFL status.

4. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

When you apply for an FFL there are several stipulations. One is you have to have set "business hours", you don't have to have a storefront to have an FFL, also before you apply, you may want to check with your local law enforcement or regional ATF office to find out any local stipulations. For instance, where I live, if you are within city limits and operate out of your home, you have to have reinforced doors on the room that stores the guns and also have reinforced and barred windows on that room. Definitely do your homework before jumping in with both feet. Garrett

5. virg

virg Member

They will check to see if you are zoned poperly, if not will have to get a conditional zoning permit, which here required a hearing etc. had mine for thirty years then had to go through this even though I was grandfathered in for zoneing.

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The FFl application WILL need to go through your township or county board. Getting the FFL is saying you're going into business, so you will need to see if your zoning will permit it.

The Feds have made it tougher. My suggestion is to say you're not looking to "retail" but are setting up for an "appointment only" gunsmithing. The license is the same.

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Many more individuals could still be holding an FFL if they were willing to jump through the hoops as I did. Most of the others didn't want to spend $90 to renew something that was simply an attempt to purchase a few guns yearly for wholesale.

I fail to see the real issue!!

8. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Here in New Jersey, in order to have an FFL you must have a state license and in order to get a state license, you must have an FFL. I have both and can tell you from my personal experiance that the initial FFL is easier to get than the state license.

Ed Yanchok

9. oleolliedawg

The down side is you must have regular business hours and your premises must be open for inspection by ATF inspectors at that time. Record keeping violations are not looked upon lightly and potential screwups could result in a felony conviction and jail time. It's not all peaches and cream.

Yes, the ATF will visit you!!

10. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

A friend of mine has been visited several times by ATF. They have shown up at his store, AND his home! Steve

11. atashooter

atashooter Member

In the late 80's and until 1992, I had one. The batf contacted me and we did an audit. All was in good order, thank goodness. Then about 4 months later, I was told that my license would not be renewed in the future due to the lack of weapons sold. So basically, I didn't sell enough guns to suit them. I let it go.

12. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Had an FFL for 12 years. When I got it, city officials told me not to worry about zoning issues as long as my customers didn't create traffic issues. 12 years later the ATF would not renew because of zoning. I would really like to know how and why the feds ended up enforcing local zoning that the local government wasn't interested in enforcing. I asked an ATF agent that question and he responded with a deafening silence. In 12 years as a licensee, I was never visited by ATF.

Bob

13. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

There are two main groups which favor making it very difficult and expensive for the average guy to have an FFL and operate out of his house or garage.

The first group is the anti-gunners. Every FFL holder they drive out of business is a victory for them.

The second group is the big store front gun shops...... those which have hundreds or perhaps thousands of guns in inventory. These big gun stores have huge expenses in buildings, utilities, salaries, inventory, etc and they can't compete with some guy selling guns out of his kitchen in his spare time. Therefore, they are happy anytime another small-time FFL holder bites the dust because that means less competition for them. Personally, I can't say that I blame them because too many people come to their shops and handle their guns and waste their time and then go buy the same gun from their buddy who has an FFL and sells guns out of his kitchen.

Easystreet

14. oleolliedawg

ATF inspectors are required to determine if an individual is actively engaged in the business of selling firearms. Simply handling a few transactions for himself and a few buddies doesn't qualify and the license is suspended. Using zoning rules is simply an excuse to justify their actions.

One can simply engage in selling firearms without the required license. A few regular posters on T.com are not licensed but continue to sell multiple guns illegally and assume that risk. I really don't believe the ATF is overly concerned over Trap long gun sales, but if that changes, 5 years with Bubba in a small cell doesn't seem interesting!!

15. atashooter

atashooter Member

In the late 80's and until 1992, I had one. The batf contacted me and we did an audit. All was in good order, thank goodness. Then about 4 months later, I was told that my license would not be renewed in the future due to the lack of weapons sold. So basically, I didn't sell enough guns to suit them. I let it go.

16. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Had an FFL for 12 years. When I got it, city officials told me not to worry about zoning issues as long as my customers didn't create traffic issues. 12 years later the ATF would not renew because of zoning. I would really like to know how and why the feds ended up enforcing local zoning that the local government wasn't interested in enforcing. I asked an ATF agent that question and he responded with a deafening silence. In 12 years as a licensee, I was never visited by ATF.

Bob

17. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

There are two main groups which favor making it very difficult and expensive for the average guy to have an FFL and operate out of his house or garage.

The first group is the anti-gunners. Every FFL holder they drive out of business is a victory for them.

The second group is the big store front gun shops...... those which have hundreds or perhaps thousands of guns in inventory. These big gun stores have huge expenses in buildings, utilities, salaries, inventory, etc and they can't compete with some guy selling guns out of his kitchen in his spare time. Therefore, they are happy anytime another small-time FFL holder bites the dust because that means less competition for them. Personally, I can't say that I blame them because too many people come to their shops and handle their guns and waste their time and then go buy the same gun from their buddy who has an FFL and sells guns out of his kitchen.

Easystreet

18. oleolliedawg

ATF inspectors are required to determine if an individual is actively engaged in the business of selling firearms. Simply handling a few transactions for himself and a few buddies doesn't qualify and the license is suspended. Using zoning rules is simply an excuse to justify their actions.

One can simply engage in selling firearms without the required license. A few regular posters on T.com are not licensed but continue to sell multiple guns illegally and assume that risk. I really don't believe the ATF is overly concerned over Trap long gun sales, but if that changes, 5 years with Bubba in a small cell doesn't seem interesting!!

19. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

just ran across this thread how many ffls are responing? one thing that Bush did do was change the BATF they cannot refuse to renew if you have no violations the cost to renew is $90 but the cost to get a first time is high you have to pay for all the back ground checks now it depends on the area and how much they charge in addtion to the fist time DOJ fee rick

20. oleolliedawg

ricks1, I'll betcha almost all FFL holders have at least a few paperwork violations after an ATF inspection!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.