1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who has a Trap Field in the backyard?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Perazzi_MX8, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I have heard of some years ago but thought it would be interesting to see if anyone has one now. I'm not referring to clubs that are open to the public but your own private one. This can't be just my dream alone as someone has done it.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Still my dream too. I have 60 acres in the country where my wife and I plan to build our dream
    house. When the basement/foundation is poured, the trap house and field will be poured as well. That is in the future. Mean while, I keep dream'n.

3. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I had one and enjoyed it alot.

I built it for the price of a REm 4100 auto trap and a clip on voice call.

It was open when I wanted and and the price of shooting was right.

I used paving stones for the shooting stations and built the trap house into the side of a hill, so didn't have to dig a hole.
    Drove post into the ground and used plywood for the sides and roof.

Covered the shooter side of the house with metal.

Ran the trap off a generator.

I figure I had around $2500.00 invested, which had a quick payback.
    The down side is the maintence costs are yours.
    I really enjoyed my trap field.

Alas, all good things come to an end. Sold the property and moved to town.
    It was time to sell but i certainly hated giving up my range.

I sold the trap and other equipment here on ts.com and got most of my investment back.

If you have the land and are willing to do the work yourself I say go for it.
    It helps if you have no nearby hostile neighbors.

ed

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

John Finley, who passed away last August had a regulation ATA trap field in his farmyard...13 miles east of my farm. I was privileged to shoot there several times. The information regarding The John T. Finley Memorial Trapshoot is posted in the shoot information section.

Ron Burr

5. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I have a Pat Trap all the concrete and Voice releases. I do host a few shoots every here but it is all mine, all the expense and all the fun. Thinking about shooting some ATA targets here in the future as two of the clubs I enjoy are shooting the same day's this summer.

Jeff

6. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

My daughter lives in NC and was invited to a couple's house in the western part of the state for the weekend. When she arrived, after a couple of miles of unmarked dirt roads, she smelled barbeque and heard shooting! She went into the backyard and sure enough ~ A trap set up. Someone handed her a shotgun and said "Do you know what to do little lady?" She mounted the shotgun, yelled pull and had a great time! When the fellas went out and reloaded the trap house, she opened the gun, looked around and told the rest to "unload" They all laughed at her Boston accent and asked her where she learned that. She said my MOM! Makes a Mom proud ;)

7. pitandberetta

pitandberetta Member

This is my dream..To find some property and have a couple traps set-up...How many acres do you need? Angry neighbors might be an issue though :-(

8. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

You mean like this one :eek:) Jerry

jdsfarms_2008_120559.jpg

9. JDEERE

JDEERE TS Member

Perazzi,My dream also. We put in a ATA regulation trap field with skeet. All concrete, finally upgraded to a used pat,voice release, winchester skeet machines.Alot of time and hard work but well worth it. We enjoy teaching people that have never shot before. Time well spent!

10. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

I have the location. Just waiting until I have the extra money to get a automatic trap.

11. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I'd like to put one in downtown Manhattan----Do you think it would go over?
    SJB

12. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

It's great to hear about your trap ranges and I love the picture. I think Central Park would be a great location for one. I'd rather listen to shotguns than all of the car horns. If they shot at night under the lights maybe the druggies would move to a quieter neighborhood.

13. himark

himark Well-Known Member

We restored a 1917 barn with wet bar, 1/2 bath, second floor deck overlooking a 4 acre pond. Now just need to trench power in to the trap house and set up the sporting clays. Could somebody just throw some extra cash in the bank and will have it done ASAP :)

14. traploader

traploader Member

Over the years we've supplied traps for quite a few home trap fields. This one is in Michigan. Ian Brotherston Western Retro Products Ltd.

15. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Don't need one, the club is 300 yards down the road from here :)

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

In the late 1980's I was shooting a lot of international trap. At one shoot in San Diego I met a guy that had built a complete 15 trap international computer controlled bunker on his property. Unfortunately, I don't remember his name. Maybe one of the Bunker shooters will remember him.

17. RLC323

RLC323 Member

18. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Les Grevy has an Olympic Bunker on his property. Has a heck of a JOD Program. Taught my Level 1 Coaching class. All of the guys that taught were pretty good. I believe Ken Eyster was another. Very committed to the cause. Rick Gibbs

19. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

when our kids are out we are moving out of the great state of illiois and moving down to tennessee, and a full trap field will be built, unless i die first....

20. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have one.. I used to have a regulation skeet field.. with winchester throwers.. on my farm.. when I built my house there we moved the club a few miles down the road.. I then bought a atlas trap with wobble and set it up for my daughter and the kid son my trap team to practice on.. it sets out in the weather 24 7 and has for 4-5 years... stills throws perfect targets..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

backyard skeet trap setup

backyard trap field