1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who has a Smith and Wesson serial book?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, May 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

N736612 or thereabout

Date of manufacture

Thanks in advance if anyone can do this

Gene

2. alant

alant TS Supporters TS Supporters

1980 according to my book.

Alan

3. g7777777

Thanks- trying to figure out which model of 25-5 it is

Gene

4. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

1980 should be correct. -5 indicates .45 Colt with long cylinder.

5. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have one with a similar serial number that I bought new in July of 1981. So I would think mfg date would probably be around 1980.

Allen

6. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Oh, mine is a 25-5 and is the .45 Colt as mentioned above.

Allen

7. Pre-64

Pre-64 Banned User Banned

Smith & Wesson did NOT ship guns in serial number order. The only to get a close/ exact date is to contact Roy Jinks S&W Historian and obtain a letter.

The "-5" indicates the 5th series of the Model 25. As changes were made to a gun S&W added a "-x" after the Model designation ex; 29-1, 29-2, all the same except for variations in the knurling of the ejector rod....(and that varied)

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

That's correct. The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson will give you estimated production and ship dates only. Frames were serial numbered before assembly but were not always assembled in numerical order nor were finished guns shipped in that order.

And if the gun you inquire about was shipped prior to 1994, their records are sketchy at best due to a huge computer failure in that period. I have a 686-3 Classic Hunter and when I inquired about the production numbers for that version, they could only tell me that three were shipped since 1994. But the SCoSW lists 5,000 as the production number and the representative I spoke with at S&W told me that they accept the SCoSW's data as being more factual than their own records.

Ed

9. g7777777

Interesting-

So problems exist with computer data storing also- at least the early data that wasnt put on a cloud system

Winchester had a fire that destroyed many of their paper records.

Thanks for all the information

Gene

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Check the cylinder to make sure the charge holes are bored to the correct diameter, which is .454". Some are badly oversized and accuracy suffers. a correctly sized or made .454" bullet should be a snug fit and ideally should require a slight bit of pushing or encounters some friction to get through. If the bullets drops through the holes may be oversize. If you have one that's tight on all holes, keep it.

Barrel lengths for standard production are mainly 6", but some 4" and 8-3/8" were also made. Most 25-5's were blued, but some were nickeled. Anything other than a blued 6" is uncommon.

The older brother of the 25-5 is the 25-3, which is the S&W 125th Anniversary model, which is engraved to that effect. Aside from the engraving, the 25-3 has a 6.5" barrel.

The 25-2 (and earlier) are the Model of 1955 Target in .45 ACP. Most of these have a 6.5" barrel, but some 4" were also made.

The 625 .45 ACP is the stainless version with full underlug barrel. These came in 3", 4" and 5" barrel lengths.

11. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Is there a website where S & W serial number info can be checked??

12. g7777777

Brian- werent there a couple of years that they produced cyls- particurally in the 44 mag and 44 Special guns that were too small and you would sometimes see guns with bulges or even cracked Cyls?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

13. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Undersized bore holes? Not that I've heard of. Sounds more like reloading error to me.

I have seen photos of cracked .45 Colt cylinders, though, but these were definitely from hot loads. The Model 25 should never have loads approaching .44 Mag levels shot in it. But some people just don't listen. The cracks appear in the location of the cylinder stop groove. It's thin enough there on a .44, but it's really thin on a .45. Hotrodding .45 Colt should be done with a Ruger, not a S&W. It's possible very hot .44 loads could crack in that area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.