1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who has 3/4oz 12g wads?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

anyone, load STS hulls

2. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

You really don't need a 3/4 wad. I've been loading 3/4 for about 2 years with a AA gray wad, in STS hulls. You may not need any adjustments at all. If you're using a low bulk powder it may be necessary to lower your first crimp-starter station a bit to involve more of the hull in the crimp. I recommend lowering to everyone that asks, regardless of the powder you use. It doesn't take much and is a simple operation on a MEC.

You'll get a closed crimp that doesn't dish-in using this method. If you're using a standard MEC charge bar your loads will likely be a tiny bit light. Check that and adjust if if you feel the need. I have Universal Charge Bars on both my 9000's, so I tune in the charge with every new bag of shot and lot of powder.

Good luck with you load, I really enjoy mine.

IME,
    Kip

3. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I don't think you'll find a true 3/4oz wad for 12 gauge, at least not anything easily obtainable.

Kip has it right, use a 7/8 wad and with some press adjustment you'll produce a fine shell for skeet and 16yd shots.

My preferences for 3/4 oz is the Downrange pink xxl, then CB's clone of the Win 12L (gray). The DR just gives me better crimps.

The new clear duster is just too short for 3/4 oz, when there are better choices available - it does do a good job with 7/8 however.

I think there are a couple of guys that frequent here that can hook you up with DR products.

Kevin

4. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

My experience with Downrange XXL and the gray Winchester or Claybuster clone has been exactly as Kevin described. Since the loads are so low pressure, the 16.0 Clays load with Win209 does leave some residue due to incomplete burning. A recent article (dare I say "Skeet Review" here on TS.com) indicates 3/4 oz. loads using Federal 12SO wads. I opened up a 3/4 oz. MEC charge bar to get about 13/16 oz. shot and the residue problem went away. Both loads will bread 16 yd targets - no problem. Best Regards, Ed

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I will have to give it a try, I did not have as good results trying 7/8oz in the Rem TGT12. Thought maybe I would run into the same problem. This is a lead consevering effort. I do not exspect to shoot all that much the remainder of the 2008 year. I have had very good results with 7/8oz loads. All I have on hand is CCI209 primers and there is not a listing for those in the load data? How do they compare to the win209 that they recomend?

6. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I use DR-XXL 7/8 (pink) wads for 3/4 oz loads in STS hulls. Federal 12SO wads work well, also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.