1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who got the Flu???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jimborn, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Have not been on this site for a while. Hope this is not repetitive. Who out there had a flu shot and still got REALLY sick, not just a cold, or run of the mill "flues" Not bad here in Western Nebraska, but have heard, some places are getting hit hard. I didn't get a shot, but maybe I should? Any M.D's out there, any reason to not get one???? I know it takes a couple weeks to take hold, and it's getting a little late, just asking. Thanks Jim

2. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

One kid got it last week, then the Mrs., then the other kid yesterday. Type A influenza I have been told. They all had flu shots, I did not and am to this date healthy as a horse. I credit it to a whole lot of luck and a little sip after dinner. Your mileage may vary... ;)

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

As the TV been saying, the Flu strain changes every year. So what is the shot made of? Aren't the mixtures make up in a year in advance?

My daughter had a baby back in December, in order to go into the hospital to see her, we had to have the Whopping cough vaccine. I wound up on anti-bionics because of it. Some times the "reaction" is not worth the convenience!

4. dhip

dhip Active Member

FLU???? That's Old news,There's a SUPER BUG out there now.NO hand sanitizers or other stuff can kill it.Violant upset stomach,and worse.They showed how it takes roughly 1200germs of the Flu to get it,Only takes 18 of the SUPER BUG.Where as the Flu dies out in about 2hrs on a hard serface,,the SUPER BUG can be contagious for 3weeks.

Doug H.

5. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

I think I had that Super Bug a couple months back and it was certainly rude. That sip after dinner didn't stand a chance against it.

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've never had the flu shot, but take 5000 I.U. of Vitamin D3, 1 Vitamin B100 caplet and a few drops of Oil of Oregano under the tongue every day. My wife got the shot for 12 years while she was teaching and still got sick every year. I didn't and never got a full blown case of the flu. Been years since I've been really sick.

Ron Burr

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Can I get seasonal flu even though I got a flu vaccine this year?

Yes. The ability of flu vaccine to protect a person depends on two things:

1) the age and health status of the person getting vaccinated, and

2) the similarity or “match” between the virus strains in the vaccine and those circulating in the community. If the viruses in the vaccine and the influenza viruses circulating in the community are closely matched, vaccine effectiveness is higher. If they are not closely matched, vaccine effectiveness can be reduced.

However, it’s important to remember that even when the viruses are not closely matched, the vaccine can still protect many people and prevent flu-related complications. Such protection is possible because antibodies made in response to the vaccine can provide some protection (called cross-protection) against different, but related strains of influenza viruses.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I never get a shot, have not had the flu since 2005 & that one was a week long deal. I got a shot in 2005 too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.