1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who flutes rifle barrels and at what price?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a 22 rim bull barrel that I am going to shorten and I want to take some weight out-

Obviously this isnt a project I want to spend any more money on than I need to

Anyone on this forum do fluting? or have had it done ?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

2. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Hi, Gene:

I've heard several folks mention the Mack brothers in Sturgis. You might do a search and see if you can find their number. If you can't find it, someone at Dakota Arms (Sturgis) would have it, I'm sure.

If the Mack brothers don't want to mess with it, they'd surely know someone who would.

Good luck with it.
    Mike

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If it's a common gun it's probably cheaper to replace the barrel, any machinist who offers to do it cheap you probably don't want doing it. If you still want it done I'd check with Shaw or some other barrel maker as they do it regularly.

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'd check out ADCO in OH, they do good work.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks

Some cool sites- that ADCO site- they do a lot of machine work- particurally on ARs

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

In case you have this done; check your before and after accuracy to gage your money spent and for what?

Hap

7. larryjk

larryjk Member

GN7777777, Google "Twisted Barrels" for twisted minds. Marty Kolbert @ Douglas, WY does barrels and bolts in both straight and alternate pattern flutes. About $100 on barrels. Fast turn around. 307-797-0257

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Of course, H-S Precision in Rapid City, SD flutes their barrels, but they won't do someone elses personal barrel.

Reason I mention this is because one of the machinists at H-S is now on his own. His name is Jim and he has his own shop, plus he works with Robert Hanson at Industrial Second Hand.

You can give them a call at 605-343-3933. Jim may not be set up to do tapered barrels, but I2ndH is a fully outfitted speciality shop who can do about anything... it's only one state west of you.

Whiz

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What is the purpose of the flutes other than weight? I am looking at barrels for several of my rifles and didn't know what i would gain by spending the extra money on a fluted barrel. Would i gain anything on a Ruger 10/22 fluted barrel?

10. twotimer

twotimer Member

Fluting helps cool the barrel faster although I'm not sure that is important on a 10/22. Mike

11. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

It's also supposed to make barrels stronger, more rigid

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

McGowen Precision Barrels in Kalispell, Montana charged me $75 to flute barrels. They offer straight or spiral patterns with six deeper, wider flutes or eight shallower, narrower flutes.

The photos below are of two barrels they did with eight flutes; one was bead-blasted and the other was painted prior to the exterior of the barrels being final finished.

Ed

averaged_2008_0303310.jpg

averaged_2008_0303311.jpg

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Fluting can change the accuracy of the barrel. It can make it better or worse, or have no effect at all. The only way to tell is before and after testing. HMB

14. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

And it's only practical purpose is to reduce weight. Fluting will not make a barrel a better barrel. No one in competition flutes a barrel unless they need to reduce weight.

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Agreed. I only had mine done for appearance purposes but I can tell you that fluting didn't negatively affect accuracy in either case.

Ed

16. kenf

kenf Active Member

It all depends on how much stress is in the barrel. Depending on how deep the flutes go, it may end up ruining the barrels accuracy. Best to check with the rimfire gurus on this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.