1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who fixes CVR control boxes??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Anyone know who fixes CVR control boxes that no longer work.

Thanks!!

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Bob Schultz, link above. Bill Malcolm

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

You can fix them yourself, quite easily. I ordered the parts from Bob Shultz. If you don't want to be bothered, just send the defective units to him. He charges an average of $50 to repair. It's worth it, because the relay and transformer each cost $20 to buy.

4. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Rocky Mt. Clay Sports is great too.

http://www.rmclaysports.com/

5. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I woud fix it myself if I knew the problem. How can I determine the problem?

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Plug the relay box in. If you don't get voltage on two of the pins of the three pin connector, the transformer is bad. Replace. Connect the box to the system. If you do not hear a "click" when a voice call is made, the relay is bad. Be sure to reinstall the weather seal properly when reassembling the box.

You cannot find replacement components here. They are old WWII stock, so you have to buy them through a Canterbury repair parts house, such as Bob Shultz. You'll need the usual complement of tools for electronics work, and you'll definitely need a good solder sucker. I don't work on ours anymore, because it is worth the little bit extra to send them to Bob Shultz. They will look at it and tell you if it is not worth fixing.

If you are talking about the big box all the cables plug in, I can't help you. I was warned not to try repair, but it's been so long I don't actually remember why. It's never been an issue for us, because that's the only component that has never broken.

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

If you open the control box you can check to see that the multi pin connectors are firmly seated in the mother board. Also check for broken wires or solder connections on the backside of all the connectors.

Sometimes the locking rings those connectors become loose and the connectors get twisted causing the wires on the back side to break off. If thats the case, it's not hard to resolder the wires and tighten up the locking rings. Nail polish will help hold them in place.

Eric

8. mono1393

mono1393 Member

If you go to the website of Rocky Mt. Clay Sports and mash on the link I provided above, they list parts they sell for the CVR's. Call them and they will give you things to check if you can describe what is happening. Great people to work with.

Chris

9. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Big Al,

Tthere are a few things you can check and repair yourself on the Canterbury Control boxes.

1. Make sure they are dry inside. I'd hate to tell you how many times we empty the water out of a box that has been shipped to us, dry it with a hair dryer and send it back to the customer! If your Control box has been exposed to wet weather, open it up and make sure its dry.

2. Look at the connectors from the inside of the box. Many times in their exhuberance to make sure things work, folks over tighten the connector ring and twist the wires inside till they break...not good. If you find one of these, simply solder the wire back on. Check all the connectors and make sure all the male pins have a gap so they fit tight in the wire ends.

3. Depending on the series of Control box, check the connectors to the motherboard. On some models they can work loose if the box is dropped and you need to push them back in so the "click" in the socket. Check for loose wires there too.

If you have checked all these things and it's still not working send it to us attention: Gary Parker. He is our full time technician and there is a real good chance he can bring it back to life without a motherboard replacement.

You can buy the replacement parts from us (They are new and NOT WWII surplus!!) We have all parts in stock and you can find the list on our web page listed above.

Thanks for your continued support of CVR products, shoot well,

Bob Schultz

10. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Big Al,

Forgot to put the email and web on the previous post. Phone is 800-684-6329

Bob

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

As usual, Bob has given excellent advice. Not too many businesses that are set up to repair items will tell individuals how to fix the common problems.

Pat Ireland

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I agree. Bob is a great guy, ans always a huge help when we have a problem..

Bob, I didn't mean to imply you sold used parts, only that the components were WWII era. Before I learned you were an authorized repair house and sold parts, I wasted a huge amount of time looking for matching components in electronics stores and parts catalogs. I finally gave up and contacted Canterbury. They are the ones who told me the parts were "old" and I would be much better off contacting you or someone (can't remember now) in CA. I've been buying Canterbury parts from you ever since.

13. redbearmx15

redbearmx15 TS Member

You might try this man also. Bryant repairs and sells parts and has a tune up kit to test and tweek for optium preformance.

Roger/OH SJVCC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.