1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who does the best stock work?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Voolfie, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Who does the nicest work you've seen for the money? And it doesn't have to be a stock-maker, it can be someone who finishes them or makes adj. combs, etc. I'm looking for Winchester 1897 wood and proper period buttplate. If I can't find any I'll have to have it made, I guess. Thanks.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Voolfie,

If you don't have any luck finding one, I can give you a name to contact. He does work for the Winchester Historical Society. PM me for the info, as he doesn't want his name posted on these threads(he has plenty of work as it is and doesn't advertise!)

ec90t

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

carroll lance rushville mo-- by far the best for the money 816-688-7540

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Joe Goldberg (StockFitter on here).

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

On an 1897 I'm probably the best for the money! Doug Turnbell restoration may be the best but he will probably charge 3 to 4 times as much as I will.

Are you talking about a standard grade 1897 or a targt grade gun? The charge for me to make a standard grade stock and install a period plate would be around $500 about $300 for a butstock only. I would try Gunparts first and see if they have any stocks as well as boyd's if they do they would be in the $100-150 range and all you would have to do is get a period plate installed.
    Joe

6. david.fisher

david.fisher TS Member

Best stock work I've ever had done is done by Scott Hyde of HPI Recoil System at Deer Park, WA, phone 509-276-9227. Scott specializes in a recoil reduction system that is second to none at a very reasonable price. I have five of his systems installed including one on a Super Gold Scroll K-80 and one on a Kolar TA Gold Elite. Workmanship is excellent and turnaround is fast. David Fisher, KY

7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Chris Vendel, the All American shooter, does the best work I've ever seen. He just doesn't advertise. He is in Rochester NY.

I have never seen better checkering than his.

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Who does the best stock work . (FOR THE MONEY)????????

Thousand answers and all of them right .

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Tom Smith has done 4 for me, and I'm always impressed with his work. I'd post some pics, but can't get it to work. Dennis Devault's work is beautiful too. Id like some more info on the HPI recoil reducer by Scott Hyde. Is it a spring loaded system? Does the comb move or stationary?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.