Trapshooters Forum banner

who does Seitz style porting?

5K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  ljutic73 
#1 ·
?

Thanks,

milt

#3 ·
I have a template so you can do it yourself w/ 1/8th"drill bit, you need to be sure you are behind the choke tubes if so equipped,it is made out of 1 "thick steel, that has drilled on a Mill, and curved to match the Bbl, and then after drilling you must use a Cyl Brake Hone to remove the flakes inside the Bbl

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

#9 ·
Tom Seitz made custom indexing fixtures to port his barrels making a few of them to sell other gunsmiths. Evidently Tom didn't think he was doing anything except enhancing his custom barrels by porting them with his unique pattern. There are several ported Seitz barrels in use and I don't think one of their owners have a bad thing to say about them. Fact is Seitz barrels ported or not are held in high regard by knowledgable gunman.

Surfer

#13 ·
Check on the How to Undo Porting thread for how valuable this operation is.

and a multitude of others here as well.

Save your $ on all that barrel BS and just shoot more targets - you'll be happier

#17 ·
Nobody ever said that any particular shooting discipline was immune to propaganda.

I've shot guns w/ ports and guns w/out. The only difference I could tell was the ported ones were louder and that runs from bunker loads to pigeon loads. But I'm a generally insensitive lout, so I've been told. To me, aftermarket ported guns are damaged goods. I still have one factory ported Beretta and I have no doubt that it will be my last.

JMO of course - - shoot what you like don't mean squat to me {;-)

#18 ·
You Like Chevy's, I like Fords, The same is true for ported and non ported barrels, none are better than the other. I've owned shot and sold ported guns and never taken a price hit when selling a gun because of porting. All shotguns make noise some are louder than others.

Like everything in life, porting is subjective. You don't like ported barrels that's fine but don't trash someone who does, he may own a Ford and bury you at the dragstrip and the trapline.

Prices on most shotguns are down and has nothing to do with porting.

Surfer

#20 ·
I have two of these type of porting fixtures. They were built by Bruce Bowen. They duplicate the Seitz style porting, I would sell either one of them for $2500.00
One is gold anodized and I can't remember what color the other on is. I think the one we have in storage was made by Seitz.

Roger 208/337/4212

#22 ·
I've seen pics of barrel traces that suggest porting might moderate muzzle rise. I've not seen any evidence that it reduces recoil in a shotgun. Can anybody share some?

So, if you believe less muzzle rise is helpful for acquiring the second target of a pair,

1) why would you port a single barrel gun
2) why would you port the second barrel of a doublegun?

I did it 20 years ago when we were all ignorant and gullible and wanted to gain an edge over other kids on the block. I spent about $2,000 having barrels backbored and ported. All those guns are gone now. My comp guns are all fixed choke, unported with .729 bores or less and I'm a better shot today than I was last year.

#23 ·
Also remember that drilling leave small groves in the holes that collect residue and are tough to clean. If I was porting a gun I would recommend EDM that actually is a reverse welding operation that leaves a clean smooth hole that will not collect AS MUCH junk as the drilled ones. motordoc proport-top line and others that use the edm process

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.